Ghost problem with Maxtor external HDD

This isn't strictly a Dell issue, but there's a wealth of knowledge &
experience here, so here goes anyway.

I have a Dimension 4550 and have been using Ghost 2003 to make images of
my HDDs on an external HDD (an internal Seagate HDD in a case) via a
USB2 connection. I just bought a Maxtor to put in a case so I can store
one HDD off site and rotate them (probably monthly). The new Maxtor is
the same model as my C:\ drive. The problem is that the DOS job
generated starts to execute, then fails. The sequence is:

PC-DOS ...

ID0 = Maxtor 6Y200P0
ID2 = Epson ...
Installed successfully
..
..
..
"bad or missing command interpreter. Enter correct ..."

Changing USB ports made no difference.

I checked Symantec's site where they describe a fix for this, which
involves replacing 2 drivers (aspi1394.sys & aspiehci.sys). I did this
and the job executes for longer (I get the panel on which Ghost displays
time, MB copied, MB to go, etc.), then fails with the following in the
Ghosterr log file:

Date : Tue Jun 8 07:59:44 2004
Error Number: (36000)
Message: A GeneralException occurred
Version: 2003.793 (Dec 17 2003, Build=793)
Command line arguments: -igb -sgb -wizard
-clone,mode=pcopy,src=@GF39b85660-20b9-400b-9e66-57be27605d9f:63,dst=@GF2dbdbf1d-e45a-41db-8004-ecad276fecbc:184586913
-ghwrap

Processor exception
Generated at HardExceptionHandlerDjgpp.cpp:261

with a message telling me to contact Symantec support. Talking to a
human there costs $30, so I'm hoping someone here has some insight /
advice, etc. However, Ghost works fine from my ThinkPad (an R40 model,
new 10/2003, includes USB2 also) to the same HDD in the same case.

TIA

I can not tell you how to make Ghost work with your hard drive, but I can
tell you I was using Ghost 2003 with mixed results backing up to an external
USB 2.0 hard drive and DVD burners with mixed results . Some worked and some
did not . I switched to Acronis True Image and it works with out a hitch
with all my computers and external devices. I have used Ghost and Drive
Image and much prefer True Image.

Tom Morton wrote:
> I can not tell you how to make Ghost work with your hard drive, but I can
> tell you I was using Ghost 2003 with mixed results backing up to an external
> USB 2.0 hard drive and DVD burners with mixed results . Some worked and some
> did not . I switched to Acronis True Image and it works with out a hitch
> with all my computers and external devices. I have used Ghost and Drive
> Image and much prefer True Image.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom, until this new HDD I've been very
satisfied with Ghost (been cloning to USB2 HDDs, mostly, but also to my
DVD burner) - maybe I should take a look at True Image?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have also been using Acronis True Image on a Dell 8300 backing up the
image to a USB 2.0 WD hard drive and have had no issues in creating the
image or recognizing the image on the esternal drive using the boot disk.

Larry wrote:
> I have also been using Acronis True Image on a Dell 8300 backing up the
> image to a USB 2.0 WD hard drive and have had no issues in creating the
> image or recognizing the image on the esternal drive using the boot disk.

What make of external HDD?

I have been using a Maxtor external USB 2.0 drive for backup for quite
awhile now. It works perfect (after I went into the advanced
settings>external storage driver settings, and enabled USB 2.0 drivers).
That is not the series of error messages I got, but it would not make an
image.

Bob

Leanin' Cedar wrote:

> I have been using a Maxtor external USB 2.0 drive for backup for quite
> awhile now. It works perfect (after I went into the advanced
> settings>external storage driver settings, and enabled USB 2.0 drivers).
> That is not the series of error messages I got, but it would not make an
> image.

Thanks, I am using the USB2 drivers. Everything worked great with the
200GB Seagate HDD & the 80GB IBM HDD. The Maxtor is the kiss of death.

I'm tired of messing with it, so I swapped my 120GB IBM D: drive & the
Maxtor - everything's humming along just fine now.

lee

It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Wed, 09
Jun 2004 05:14:54 GMT or thereabouts, Vince McGowan <SPAMvincemcg@nada.com>
wrote the following intercepted missive:

>I have a Dimension 4550 and have been using Ghost 2003 to make images of
>my HDDs on an external HDD (an internal Seagate HDD in a case) via a
>USB2 connection. I just bought a Maxtor to put in a case so I can store
>one HDD off site and rotate them (probably monthly). The new Maxtor is
>the same model as my C:\ drive. The problem is that the DOS job
>generated starts to execute, then fails. The sequence is:
>
>PC-DOS ...
>
>ID0 = Maxtor 6Y200P0
>ID2 = Epson ...
>Installed successfully

I had the same problem. Was unable to resolve it. i got ahold of Hiren's
BootDisk, which has Ghost on it. No problem using it. I guess some usb
drivers are more compatible than others. BTW, I was using an Iomega USB
drive, so the problem is not strictly a Maxtor issue.

CUL8R

R*Horse

www.sonic.net/~lkokot

"Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
recognize this country, don't you?"

"Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
wonderful - and unexpected."

Mark Twain
Life on the Mississippi