Win2K Scanner Install

juh915

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Hi all,
I'm having trouble re-installing my USB CanoScan N650U scanner and I have all the drivers. So here's my problem:
When I plug in the scanner to a USB port Win2K reads it as a USB device in the device manager (with a yellow exclamation mark). Then I want to install the drivers for it so I go search for drivers in the appropriate directory. But then windows seems to think it has got more suitable drivers for it and it doesn't use the drivers I downloaded off of Canon. So I click Finish and the screen pops up with

"An error occurred during the installation of this device.

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this instance."

So, I'm not sure what to do to install my scanner now. I'm sorry if this is the inappropriate section to ask this question (maybe the peripherals section) but I thought the win2K section would be of best place to ask.

Please help, Canon tech support sure didn't.

Thanks,
Justin

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
try completely deleting the drivers, then unplug the scanner, then install the drivers from the Canon CD, then plug the scanner in.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

bypick

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
Windows 2000 download from **** LOL...I still haven't got all my devices installed...and I've reloaded 2K once already because it confused itself or me..or both...Is it really the most "stable" Windows ever or did that just get made up to sell it? Wish I could provide answers...sorry

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
As mentioned, normally usb drivers are installed before the device is unplugged. Did you try going to device manager and manually updating the drivers.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?