Pioneer VXS-1122-K Surround with Movies/Games Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hello folks,
I just bought this receiver last week and really like it. I have 0 complaints/issues though I have been stumped with a surround issue when gaming or watching a movie.

Here's my set-up:
Connected to PC
Sound Card is an ASUS Xonar Essence SXT
Connected via RCA, HDMI, and Optical.
7.1 surround speakers

When I play any PC game or watch a movie, I have sound through all speakers on all supported Listening modes. The problem is that it is not true surround. Example: In a game, if I turn my back to someone talking, I still hear them in the front or center speakers as opposed to the rear satellites. This is quite annoying and frustrating.
I have tested using Analog/RCA, Optical, and HDMI sources. My sound card outputs PCM or DDL. (Dolby Digital Live) I've also cycled through all Listening Modes via each connection, but none of them seem to create a true surround experience. I really like hearing chatter, bullets flying, and ambiance behind me as it really immerses me in my games and movies. Without finding the "right" settings, I just don't enjoy my them as much.

Anyway, I have scoured the Internet, but have been unable to find info, or tips&tricks on how other people have their settings configured. Any help would be much appreciated.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
The sound card is putting out DDL or PCM. I'm just not sure if the receiver is "re-processing" the sound, or if it's just doing pass through. Does changing the listening mode from something like Rock to Classical qualify as decoding? If so, this it is decoding DDL to something else. I hope that makes sense.

i completely bypass my soundcard... well integrated soundcard.

i run a dvi-to-hdmi cable direct from my video card, which supports sound out via dvi, to the receiver and then run a hdmi cable to my screen via hdmi video passthrough.

normally i run mine (pioneer vsx30) on auto-detect since it seems to work the best. movie modes are just eq balances and the other modes like fs surround focus and the others just direct the signal to the speakers differently which isnt true surround anymore.

i've never had any issues i couldnt figure out.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I am able and have tested from my video card to the receiver via HDMI, but have the same result. I do like the auto-detect feature and it works well. I still just don't get the proper sound effects from my surround the way I should.

triple check your settings. remember to check all of these:

windows sound settings
sound card settings (if connected via)
game sound settings
receiver mode settings

having just one set wrong can cause strange sound issues.

--

hook up a dvd player to your receiver... i take it movies play with surround sound fine? if this is the case then it is a setting on your computer and not the receiver. again, triple check those settings

BloodHK47

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I have one of the receivers myself. I think there's a sound mode called exterior or something like that which will use all your speakers because some of the sound modes only use certain speakers and leave others out.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Most receivers do now have some sort of 5 Channel stereo mode. You are correct, it plays all 5 speakers at the same volume. You do not get a surround effect like this, but they do indeed all make noise.

BloodHK47

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Also the receiver itself should auto calibrate modes for devices to which its hooked up because I know my xbox when turned on, receiver starts up the dolby surround sound function while as when my DVR is turned on, dolby surround function doesn't turn on.

Velocitydreamer

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I might be able to help. I've run into many issues going the graphics card way, which I personally prefer. what model graphics card do you have first off? I know it can be tiring, but it's definately worth it in the end :p

Velocitydreamer

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
well... post graphics card, and motherboard model if you can... some graphics cards rely on the mobo... I run an HD 4870, and have to use the realtek driver for it to operate all 8 channels. BUT... I not only am able to run bluray w/ seperate 7.1 channels, but with stereo audio, I have stereo split to ALL 7.2 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS