flipper coil wiring

hoOk

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

i'm installing a new flipper coil( it was missing). regarding the lugs,
there is a heavy wire going to an outside lug, and a thinner wire to
the other outside lug. doesnt it matter which outside lug gets the EOS
switch? i would think you would want to break the circuit to the heavy
wire( lower ohms, more draw) and let the lighter wire hold the
flipper. am i correct? if they were backwards, does flipper performance
suffer, and will the coil overheat when held? thanks!

Here is a basic EOS switch diagram that I made some time ago. It might help.
John

http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/jdetweiler/?action=view&current=EOS.gif

--
FunHouse...Cyclone...Eight Ball...Solar Ride...Silverball Mania...Medieval
Madness :)
"hook" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> i'm installing a new flipper coil( it was missing). regarding the lugs,
> there is a heavy wire going to an outside lug, and a thinner wire to
> the other outside lug. doesnt it matter which outside lug gets the EOS
> switch? i would think you would want to break the circuit to the heavy
> wire( lower ohms, more draw) and let the lighter wire hold the
> flipper. am i correct? if they were backwards, does flipper performance
> suffer, and will the coil overheat when held? thanks!

Typically, the EOS switch will be wired in parallel with the high resistance
coil (the smaller wire). You would normally have one EOS wire connected to
the center tap, and one EOS wire connected to the outside lug with the small
wire. Hope that helps. Is the other flipper coil installed for you to look
at? Good luck. John

--
"Sir Tiltsalot" <detweiler02@msn.com> wrote in message
> Here is a basic EOS switch diagram that I made some time ago. It might
> help. John
>
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/jdetweiler/?action=view&current=EOS.gif
>
> --
> FunHouse...Cyclone...Eight Ball...Solar Ride...Silverball Mania...Medieval
> Madness :)
> "hook" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> i'm installing a new flipper coil( it was missing). regarding the lugs,
>> there is a heavy wire going to an outside lug, and a thinner wire to
>> the other outside lug. doesnt it matter which outside lug gets the EOS
>> switch? i would think you would want to break the circuit to the heavy
>> wire( lower ohms, more draw) and let the lighter wire hold the
>> flipper. am i correct? if they were backwards, does flipper performance
>> suffer, and will the coil overheat when held? thanks!

What game? What color wires? Lots of different configurations for these
depending on what you've actually got. Lots of ways to mess it up- only one
way to get it right. More info needed!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> hey ray J, its a williams lucky ace. is my theory correct? thanks

I've got a Dealer's Choice schematic here which should be the same (no game
present though, so can't do a "visual" comparison).

The schematic shows the red (power) wire going to one end lug on the coil.
This should be the end lug with only one coil winding wire connected to it.

The center lug will have a wire going to one side of the EOS switch.

The other side of the EOS switch will have a wire going back to the 3rd lug
on the coil. This is the end lug with TWO coil winding wires connected to
it.

The 3rd lug (w/ 2 winding wires) will have a second black wire (left side)
or brown wire (right side) with a white trace going away from it. This goes
to the flipper button switch in cabinet, then back to neutral on the
transformer (yellow).

IIRC, Lucky Ace is the single player version of Dealer's Choice. So you
should have 4 flippers on that game. You may want to use one of the other 3
to compare to if you need further reference or confirmation but the above
should cover it.

Hope that helps!

Ray J