pullse

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
I am ready to upgrade my processor but am unsure of which chip I should get.....the Prescott chip or the Northwood chip. I'm looking at a 3.2 GHz chip that will go into an Asus P4c800-E Deluxe MB. I've heard that the Prescott chip runs really hot. Is this true? Any advice to help me decide which way to go would be appreciated. If it makes any difference, my maching is used mostly for gaming.

Thanks

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
It's probably wiser now to go with the northwood chip. Prescott is, as of now, generally slightly slower than northwood at equal clock, and prescott runs a nasty 10 degrees hotter than northwood. So, in your case, you should definitely consider upgrading to the 3.2C or 3.4C, not 3.2E or 3.4E...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would highly recommend you buy a 2.8C and overclock it to 3.2ghz. It will run even faster than a stock 3.2 for a lot less money. You need PC3700 to do it and a stable power supply. the results will have you all :smile:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!