Memory Problem: Dimension L933R

terry

Hi,

I am having trouble with upgrading a Dimension L933R memory. The
machine has 64 MB and running Windows XP Home. I got a 128 MB (PC133)
from BestBuy. When I put the new memory into the second memory bank
while having the original 64 MB untouched, the machine keeps rebooting,
but won't go into XP. The BIOS does see a total of 192 MB. If I put
the 128 MB in the first memory bank alone or along with the 64MB, the
machine hangs up at memory test and only sees 68 MB.

On the packing slip, I did see the original 64 MB is PC133. I went back
to BestBuy and got another 128 MB of the same type of memory. Still the
same problem. What have gone wrong with the memory upgrade? Does it
matter which memory bank has the smaller memory chip?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Terry

Terry <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am having trouble with upgrading a Dimension L933R memory. The
>machine has 64 MB and running Windows XP Home. I got a 128 MB (PC133)
>from BestBuy. When I put the new memory into the second memory bank
>while having the original 64 MB untouched, the machine keeps rebooting,
>but won't go into XP. The BIOS does see a total of 192 MB. If I put
>the 128 MB in the first memory bank alone or along with the 64MB, the
>machine hangs up at memory test and only sees 68 MB.
>
>On the packing slip, I did see the original 64 MB is PC133. I went back
>to BestBuy and got another 128 MB of the same type of memory. Still the
>same problem. What have gone wrong with the memory upgrade? Does it
>matter which memory bank has the smaller memory chip?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!

In addition to Edward Neth's good advice, keep
http://www.crucial.com in mind, whether you intend to buy your
memory from them or not. Their memory locator is quite good, and
will let you check out the specs for the memory suitable for your
given Dell model.

For the L933R, this is what resulted:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BDimension&mfr=Dell&cat=&model=Dimension+L+Series&submit=Go

Converted to a TinyUrl in case that link wrapped and won't work
by clicking on it:

http://tinyurl.com/2nyap
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

How many chips are on the new module? Most PC133 RAM these days is high
density (will have 4 chips on a 128 MByte module). This won't work with the
Dimension L series - it needs low-density RAM (i.e., you need an 8-chip 128
MByte or 16-chip 256 MByte modules).

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with upgrading a Dimension L933R memory. The
> machine has 64 MB and running Windows XP Home. I got a 128 MB (PC133)
> from BestBuy. When I put the new memory into the second memory bank
> while having the original 64 MB untouched, the machine keeps rebooting,
> but won't go into XP. The BIOS does see a total of 192 MB. If I put
> the 128 MB in the first memory bank alone or along with the 64MB, the
> machine hangs up at memory test and only sees 68 MB.
>
> On the packing slip, I did see the original 64 MB is PC133. I went back
> to BestBuy and got another 128 MB of the same type of memory. Still the
> same problem. What have gone wrong with the memory upgrade? Does it
> matter which memory bank has the smaller memory chip?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Terry

terry

In article <Ufspc.2832$M43.2577@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, ejn63
@netscape.com says...
> How many chips are on the new module? Most PC133 RAM these days is high
> density (will have 4 chips on a 128 MByte module). This won't work with the
> Dimension L series - it needs low-density RAM (i.e., you need an 8-chip 128
> MByte or 16-chip 256 MByte modules).

Edward, Thanks so much for the help! Will check out the memory chips.

Terry