strange networking file share problem!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have 2 XP pro SP2 machines... and I have simple file shared enabled on
both.
I have shared the drives of one of the computers so I can get to them from
the other.
However, only SOME of the folders in the drives are accessible... and some
of the files are missing!

When I click on some folders I get the message:
"The specific server cannot perform the requested operation"
This is strange.. it has never happened to me before.
I tried unsharing and sharing again .. but nothing changed.

Any Ideas?????

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
6 answers Last reply
More about strange networking file share problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:46:33 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:

    >I have 2 XP pro SP2 machines... and I have simple file shared enabled on
    >both.
    >I have shared the drives of one of the computers so I can get to them from
    >the other.
    >However, only SOME of the folders in the drives are accessible... and some
    >of the files are missing!
    >
    >When I click on some folders I get the message:
    >"The specific server cannot perform the requested operation"
    >This is strange.. it has never happened to me before.
    >I tried unsharing and sharing again .. but nothing changed.
    >
    >Any Ideas?????
    >
    >--

    Kenny,

    Please examine your Windows Update history. Is Hotfix 885250 in there?

    If that's not the solution, then you may need to disable Simple File Sharing,
    and check / correct the Access Control Lists for the various files and folders.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Help>
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    the problem is similar to the one these people talk about:

    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/12009443/m/946003994731/r/665003515731

    screenshot http://212.73.189.14/shared_folder_problem.PNG

    "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
    >I have 2 XP pro SP2 machines... and I have simple file shared enabled on
    >both.
    > I have shared the drives of one of the computers so I can get to them from
    > the other.
    > However, only SOME of the folders in the drives are accessible... and some
    > of the files are missing!
    >
    > When I click on some folders I get the message:
    > "The specific server cannot perform the requested operation"
    > This is strange.. it has never happened to me before.
    > I tried unsharing and sharing again .. but nothing changed.
    >
    > Any Ideas?????

    > HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
    > Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I tried all you suggested with no luck... HOWEVER:

    Lol you would not believe what I am seeing here.... I will explain and tell
    me if you ever have encountered something like this

    When I make a new folder with a new name and place the files that were in
    the invisible
    folder into the new folder then they are visible on the network....

    I tried renaming the old folder to something else with no luck...
    I tried changing the attributes to the old folder with no luck
    I tried moving it to another disk with no luck.

    The only solution is to make new folders and place the files in them...

    It seems that XP has stored somewhere a list of files that cannot be seen in
    the network,
    or there are some hidden attributes on some folders.

    Do you have any idea about this behaviour?

    "Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:46:33 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 XP pro SP2 machines... and I have simple file shared enabled on
    >>both.
    >>I have shared the drives of one of the computers so I can get to them from
    >>the other.
    >>However, only SOME of the folders in the drives are accessible... and some
    >>of the files are missing!
    >>
    >>When I click on some folders I get the message:
    >>"The specific server cannot perform the requested operation"
    >>This is strange.. it has never happened to me before.
    >>I tried unsharing and sharing again .. but nothing changed.
    >>
    >>Any Ideas?????
    >>
    >>--
    >
    > Kenny,
    >
    > Please examine your Windows Update history. Is Hotfix 885250 in there?
    >
    > If that's not the solution, then you may need to disable Simple File
    > Sharing,
    > and check / correct the Access Control Lists for the various files and
    > folders.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Help>
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:02:00 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:

    >I tried all you suggested with no luck... HOWEVER:
    >
    >Lol you would not believe what I am seeing here.... I will explain and tell
    >me if you ever have encountered something like this
    >
    >When I make a new folder with a new name and place the files that were in
    >the invisible
    >folder into the new folder then they are visible on the network....
    >
    >I tried renaming the old folder to something else with no luck...
    >I tried changing the attributes to the old folder with no luck
    >I tried moving it to another disk with no luck.
    >
    >The only solution is to make new folders and place the files in them...
    >
    >It seems that XP has stored somewhere a list of files that cannot be seen in
    >the network,
    >or there are some hidden attributes on some folders.
    >
    >Do you have any idea about this behaviour?

    Kenny,

    Log in locally to the server (computer with the shared data), and disable Simple
    File Sharing. Then examine the Share Access Control Lists ("Sharing -
    Permissions"), and the NTFS Access Control Lists ("Security"). Carefully
    examine the ACLs for the problem files and folders, and compare them to the
    non-problem ones. Examine NTFS permissions folder by folder, and file by file.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Can you explain this with a little more detail?

    This is somewhat new to me...
    I found these 2 pages
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/06acl.htm

    and
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/07ntfs-permisions.htm

    Im just poking around the settings... trying things and I dont think thats
    good

    Some folders have fixed. with this tampering.. but I have no Idea what I
    did...

    Isnt there a way to just reset the folders to have the default values?

    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:02:00 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:
    >
    >>I tried all you suggested with no luck... HOWEVER:
    >>
    >>Lol you would not believe what I am seeing here.... I will explain and
    >>tell
    >>me if you ever have encountered something like this
    >>
    >>When I make a new folder with a new name and place the files that were in
    >>the invisible
    >>folder into the new folder then they are visible on the network....
    >>
    >>I tried renaming the old folder to something else with no luck...
    >>I tried changing the attributes to the old folder with no luck
    >>I tried moving it to another disk with no luck.
    >>
    >>The only solution is to make new folders and place the files in them...
    >>
    >>It seems that XP has stored somewhere a list of files that cannot be seen
    >>in
    >>the network,
    >>or there are some hidden attributes on some folders.
    >>
    >>Do you have any idea about this behaviour?
    >
    > Kenny,
    >
    > Log in locally to the server (computer with the shared data), and disable
    > Simple
    > File Sharing. Then examine the Share Access Control Lists ("Sharing -
    > Permissions"), and the NTFS Access Control Lists ("Security"). Carefully
    > examine the ACLs for the problem files and folders, and compare them to
    > the
    > non-problem ones. Examine NTFS permissions folder by folder, and file by
    > file.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:12:12 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:

    >Can you explain this with a little more detail?
    >
    >This is somewhat new to me...
    >I found these 2 pages
    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/06acl.htm
    >
    >and
    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/07ntfs-permisions.htm
    >
    >Im just poking around the settings... trying things and I dont think thats
    >good
    >
    >Some folders have fixed. with this tampering.. but I have no Idea what I
    >did...
    >
    >Isnt there a way to just reset the folders to have the default values?
    >
    >--

    Kenny,

    Some folks helping in this forum will occasionally recommend that you delete
    then recreate a share. That will reset the share permissions. In your case, I
    suspect that the problem is the NTFS permissions. The NTFS permissions are
    shown in the PracticallyNetworked website.

    The PracticallyNetworked website is extensive, and shows how complicated you can
    let permissioning be. If you want to reset all folders, and want a simple
    process, you could use CACLS.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>

    --
    Cheers,