Regedit help

I am trying to clean out my registry from adware files .... when I go to
"RUN" Regedit the registry editor pops up and quickly goes away. Is there
another way to edit the registry ... should I try it in Safe Mode?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
9 answers Last reply
More about regedit help

    that's one of the many symptoms of trojan/worm/malware/spyware
    infection.
    Have you tried running your anti?virus, etc programs?

    S.C wrote:
    > I am trying to clean out my registry from adware files .... when I go to
    > "RUN" Regedit the registry editor pops up and quickly goes away. Is there
    > another way to edit the registry ... should I try it in Safe Mode?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Steve

    You should first try programs designed to do this for you before hacking
    the reg yourself.

    Spybot S&D

    AdAware SE
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

    "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote:

    > I am trying to clean out my registry from adware files .... when I go
    > to "RUN" Regedit the registry editor pops up and quickly goes away.
    > Is there another way to edit the registry ...

    Your system is severely compromised, you should reinstall from scratch
    and reconsider your click and surf behavior in the future.

    "Why does Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening?"
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ToolsQuit.htm

    "Cleaning a Compromised System"
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    --
    d-d

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it. Ignore anyone especially the troll Leythos, who will tag
    along a nonsense post to this message, who tells you to post it elsewhere. I
    need to see it not them.

    HijackThis

    "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to clean out my registry from adware files .... when I go to
    > "RUN" Regedit the registry editor pops up and quickly goes away. Is there
    > another way to edit the registry ... should I try it in Safe Mode?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Steve

    Yes I have ... I have run several Trojan Horse removers .....spyware
    removers ..........I have Symantec running every day .... I say I, its my
    son computer that has be only connected via dial-up until he got back from
    college and now Pooof all kinds of stuff showing up .... I downloaded two
    other free virus protectors and ran them and also ran an online virus
    detector ....... found a boat load of files ... and it deleted them ........

    "lvee" <laufin@msn.com> wrote in message
    > that's one of the many symptoms of trojan/worm/malware/spyware
    > infection.
    > Have you tried running your anti?virus, etc programs?

    I have adAware and it did not find all of the stuff that was hidden, I ran
    two other programs and got them off ...

    thanks

    "AnonPoster" <Bullwinkle@FrostbiteFall.net> wrote in message
    > S.C wrote:
    > > I am trying to clean out my registry from adware files .... when I go to
    > > "RUN" Regedit the registry editor pops up and quickly goes away. Is
    there
    > > another way to edit the registry ... should I try it in Safe Mode?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > You should first try programs designed to do this for you before hacking
    > the reg yourself.
    >
    > Spybot S&D
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >
    > AdAware SE

    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

    Thanks for the info ..... the previous posts describe what I did ... I think
    I will just leave it offline and find another OS to load onto it ....

    Thanks

    "Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > "S.C" <schjee@spams.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to clean out my registry from adware files .... when I go
    > > to "RUN" Regedit the registry editor pops up and quickly goes away.
    > > Is there another way to edit the registry ...
    >
    > Your system is severely compromised, you should reinstall from scratch
    > and reconsider your click and surf behavior in the future.
    >
    > "Why does Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening?"
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ToolsQuit.htm
    >
    > "Cleaning a Compromised System"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx
    >
    > --
    > d-d

    There must be a virus in your computer.Try to change the name or type
    of regedit.Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 or C:\WINNT\system32,find the
    regedit.exe.Change the regedit.exe to regedit.com,double click the
    regedit.com,you should open the regedit by this way.
    But the solvent is find the virus and delete it.Let Security Expert
    help you.
    Run Security Expert,go to tools -> process manage,find the backdoor
    process,and delete it.Then go to tools->Autorun,find the startup
    program of the backdoor,and delete it.The last,find the file of the
    backdoor in your computer,and delete it.
    Go to http://securityexpert.cnns.net/download/securityexpert.exe to
    download the software.
    You can make judgement of a suspicious process easily by this way:
    1) Run Security Expert,click Security Tools->Process Manage
    2) Choose "Hide windows' process" to help you to remove legitimate
    process of system
    3) Notice suspicious process with special color marked by Security
    Expert
    4) Notice whole route of the process is not in "program files"
    5) If the process doesn't have information of companyname,the process
    possible is a backdoor or a worm.

    On Sunday 18 September 2005 06:13 pm, S.C had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Thanks for the info ..... the previous posts describe what I did ... I
    > think I will just leave it offline and find another OS to load onto it
    >
    > Thanks

    Here's a good place to start ...

    http://distrowatch.com/

    --
    Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
    Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run E17

Microsoft Regedit Registry Windows XP