Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth getting a sound card when i have an amp

Last response: in Home Audio
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 15, 2012 5:07:46 PM

I have recently bought a second hand Denon 5.1 surround sound system and currently use

run my PC off it, I'm toying with the idea of getting a decent set of head phones (£60 ish mark)

for music and gaming use (From what I've read gaming headsets should be left alone). Is

It worth me getting a decent ish sound card as well or would the amp be enough? I'm not a

massive geek on the sound side of things but wouldn't mind a decent set up. also I have an

old pair of Senhiser HD500 given to me that i've been toying around with running right off my

PC, it does make things a bit better in terms of gaming and music wise they're ok, but at the moment

they're just running right of my PC as i don't have an adaptor for them to work through the amp yet.

any advise would be most welcome.

More about : worth sound card amp

July 16, 2012 5:06:44 PM

If your current soundcard does not have digital audio outputs and you are connected with analog audio then one that does should give you an improvement in sound. That assumes that the Denon has digital audio inputs.
July 17, 2012 3:51:03 AM

americanaudiophile said:
If your current soundcard does not have digital audio outputs and you are connected with analog audio then one that does should give you an improvement in sound. That assumes that the Denon has digital audio inputs.

Just adding to what americanaudio said...

I would suggest getting one just for the digital audio outs but only if you don't have them already. If you do need one just get a decent one since your receiver will do most of the work anyway it just needs the signal.
!