Cleaning Wireless Keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moabak

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Does this really work? This guy put his wireless keyboard in the sink and washed it off with the spray nozzle of his faucet. With some soap and water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaBzRVLj_lc

Anyone ever done this? He says it works fine. I have an air compressor I could blow it out with. But damn this seems mighty extreme. If it was this easy why would everyone have these minute instructions about how to remove each key etc. etc.?

Anybody ever look at the inside of a wireless keyboard? Is this even possible to do and not mess up your keyboard?

Solution
I put my keyboards in the dishwasher on light duty with no heated dry. Works well.
However, as long as there is no power to components, you could put the entire PC in the bath and clean it. It is far better to use distilled water however as it will not conduct electricity (for a period of time).

Key : no soaps or very light detergent (like baby safe stuff) and let dry VERY well.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I use compressed air to spray between the keys, and a soft cloth to clean the keys themselves. In the event that I get buildup or other issues, I just remove the keys, clean them, and put them back (this will also allow you to clean under the keys). You can also clean contacts with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.

That being said, water does not inherently damage electronics. However, as I'm sure you know, water does not mix well with electricity! Make sure your keyboard is not plugged in, and let it dry completely before plugging it in again. Also, if you use any sort of soap, make sure you rinse it completely, and that it is not something abrasive that could ruin anything inside your keyboard.

However, in my opinion, this is a little excessive, unless your keyboard is seriously gunky!

I put my keyboards in the dishwasher on light duty with no heated dry. Works well.
However, as long as there is no power to components, you could put the entire PC in the bath and clean it. It is far better to use distilled water however as it will not conduct electricity (for a period of time).

Key : no soaps or very light detergent (like baby safe stuff) and let dry VERY well.

Solution

Thank you for confirming this. At first, I thought that it was a prank, but your post provides good information!

Status
Not open for further replies.