Is there any intrinsic problems with XP Professional that would keep POP3
from running reliably? I've been messing around with this for a week now,
going so far as to reinstall the OS from scratch & installing only my mail
server iMail (I also tried argosoft, with no better luck). It seems to work
fine, then, a day or so later, I find that email sent to myself (from yahoo
and other accounts) never arrives -- hasn't bounced back yet, but that may
take a while.

I'm willing to experiment with some other mail packages, but if XP just
isn't capable of supporting a reliable mail server, I'd rather just move on
an use one of my Linux boxes.

Thanks.

Joe

Malke

Joe Befumo wrote:

> Is there any intrinsic problems with XP Professional that would keep
> POP3
> from running reliably? I've been messing around with this for a week
> now, going so far as to reinstall the OS from scratch & installing
> only my mail server iMail (I also tried argosoft, with no better
> luck). It seems to work fine, then, a day or so later, I find that
> email sent to myself (from yahoo and other accounts) never arrives --
> hasn't bounced back yet, but that may take a while.
>
> I'm willing to experiment with some other mail packages, but if XP
> just isn't capable of supporting a reliable mail server, I'd rather
> just move on an use one of my Linux boxes.

Let's not be silly about this. Of course XP - which has been out and in
use in millions of places for 4 years now - can handle POP3 and,
according to Ipswitch's system requirements, apparently can run iMail.
Personally, I would run a mail server on a server operating system (or
Linux), but XP Pro *is* listed as supported.

You didn't mention how you connect to the Internet or what kind of
antimalware strategy you are using, so my troubleshooting must be
general:

1. Make sure the computer is completely virus and malware-free:

2. Check whatever hardware you have that provides Internet access. Swap
out cables, NIC's, modems, etc.

3. Look in Event Viewer for clues - Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

4. Check your firewall logs for clues.

5. How many clients are involved? XP Pro only supports 10 concurrent
connections. I'm not sure if this would cause your problems with iMail,
but if you have more than 7 or 8 clients, I would definitely change to
a server OS (or Linux).

6. Are you using the latest version of iMail? According to its mftr.,
iMail is now part of the Ipswitch Collaboration Suite. Here is a link
to their support site:
http://www.ipswitch.com/support/imail/index.asp

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

No.

Configuring Imail email accounts in Outlook 2002 [XP]:
http://www.tnsites.com/support/s_outlook02.asp

OL 2000
http://www.tnsites.com/support/s_outlook.asp

Outlook Express
http://www.tnsites.com/support/s_outexpr.asp
--
OL-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP