Bios

I know the bios isn't hardware but I'm sure some of you out there will
be able to advise.
Should I bother to upgrade my bios or will it just give me problems?
I'm using a G1 Optiplex and have bios rev A03 - I believe the current
is A09 or A10. Also if I should upgrade it do I need to upgrade to 4
then 5 and so on or do I just get the latest?
Many Thanks
Kia

==============

"Kia_Breizzze" <lakassa21@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I know the bios isn't hardware but I'm sure some of you out there will
> be able to advise.
> Should I bother to upgrade my bios or will it just give me problems?
> I'm using a G1 Optiplex and have bios rev A03 - I believe the current
> is A09 or A10. Also if I should upgrade it do I need to upgrade to 4
> then 5 and so on or do I just get the latest?
> Many Thanks
> Kia
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

"Why?".

No need to flash unless you intend to fix a current problem or anticipate a
problem with some upgrade.

Stew

You should upgrade your BIOS before you add new hardware and before you
upgrade your operating system. Other than that, there is no need.
Nonetheless, there are people who like to upgrade their BIOS regardless.

Whenever you upgrade a BIOS, you use the latest version, i.e., no need to do
them one at a time.

You have to be careful when upgrading your BIOS, because if something goes
wrong, your computer won't boot. That said, as long as you follow the
instructions carefully, have a UPS in good working order, and don't do it
during a thunderstorm, you won't have any trouble.

Rocky

"Kia_Breizzze" <lakassa21@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I know the bios isn't hardware but I'm sure some of you out there will
> be able to advise.
> Should I bother to upgrade my bios or will it just give me problems?
> I'm using a G1 Optiplex and have bios rev A03 - I believe the current
> is A09 or A10. Also if I should upgrade it do I need to upgrade to 4
> then 5 and so on or do I just get the latest?
> Many Thanks
> Kia
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

hh

I agree with Stew, especially if your Dell is NOT attached to a UPS. Not
worth the risk, albeit slight, that a power surge or outage might hit in the
middle of the flash, which could turn your PC into a boat anchor or
doorstop.
HH

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Kia_Breizzze" <lakassa21@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message
> >I know the bios isn't hardware but I'm sure some of you out there will
> > be able to advise.
> > Should I bother to upgrade my bios or will it just give me problems?
> > I'm using a G1 Optiplex and have bios rev A03 - I believe the current
> > is A09 or A10. Also if I should upgrade it do I need to upgrade to 4
> > then 5 and so on or do I just get the latest?
> > Many Thanks
> > Kia
> >
> > ==============
> > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
> > troubleshooting newsgroups.
>
> "Why?".
>
> No need to flash unless you intend to fix a current problem or anticipate
> problem with some upgrade.
>

> Stew

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

The OP is very far behind on BIOS updates. One risk he runs is that it
might add an unknown if he does have problems. Also if he calls for support
and he's that far behind, they might just tell him to update anyways.

BIOS flashes take what? 30 seconds? A UPS is nice to have but not
necessary IMO. Just don't do it on Friday the 13th and do your research
AHEAD of time (ie. saving the old BIOS or having a recovery plan if
something DOES happen). And try not to use any BIOS flash utilities that
aren't floppy based.

YMMV

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> The OP is very far behind on BIOS updates. One risk he runs is that it
> might add an unknown if he does have problems. Also if he calls for
> support
> and he's that far behind, they might just tell him to update anyways.

<snip>

Fair enough, but flip that logic over. His machine now is (in theory) a
known quantity based on its current and past performance.

If he flashes, he adds a significant unknown to any upgrades or future
machine performance/behavior.

Stew

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

> "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> > The OP is very far behind on BIOS updates. One risk he runs is that it
> > might add an unknown if he does have problems. Also if he calls for
> > support
> > and he's that far behind, they might just tell him to update anyways.
> >
> <snip>
>
> Fair enough, but flip that logic over. His machine now is (in theory) a
> known quantity based on its current and past performance.
>
> If he flashes, he adds a significant unknown to any upgrades or future
> machine performance/behavior.
>

> Stew

But systems are full of unknowns until they rear their ugly head, usually at
the worse possible time. Anybody with a PC should have overcome their fear
of the unknown hehehe.

One caveat I would include is that to never, unless absolutely necessary,
flash to a just released BIOS. Wait and see what may have been screwed up
by the new BIOS. It seems to happen more frequently than it should. If the
BIOS has been out for a while it's probably OK. And a great time to flash
(get your mind out of the gutter!;-) is just before a reinstall of the OS.
You will already have done backups, RIGHT?!

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote

>> "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in

>> > The OP is very far behind on BIOS updates. One risk he runs is that it
>> > might add an unknown if he does have problems. Also if he calls for
>> > support and he's that far behind, they might just tell him to update anyways.

>> Fair enough, but flip that logic over. His machine now is (in theory) a
>> known quantity based on its current and past performance.
>>
>> If he flashes, he adds a significant unknown to any upgrades or future
>> machine performance/behavior.

>But systems are full of unknowns until they rear their ugly head, usually at
>the worse possible time. Anybody with a PC should have overcome their fear
>of the unknown hehehe.

>One caveat I would include is that to never, unless absolutely necessary,
>flash to a just released BIOS. Wait and see what may have been screwed up
>by the new BIOS. It seems to happen more frequently than it should. If the
>BIOS has been out for a while it's probably OK. And a great time to flash
>(get your mind out of the gutter!;-) is just before a reinstall of the OS.
>You will already have done backups, RIGHT?!

I dunno the mainframe equivalent, since I, although old enough,
never worked with them. I did start out with IBM-PC clones when
they first appeared.

In twenty years of using "IBM-Clones/Wintel computers/whatever
the current catch phrase is for them" them, I have experienced
only five situations where a BIOS upgrade warranted install.
[One, the fourth, went south and killed the computer].

However far behind the OP is in their BIOS updates, their
computer is showing no problems, as related.

A BIOS upgrade is unwarranted. Until the OP's computer starts
showing problems that can *only* be corrected by such.

[In which case, the OP, UPS purchased and all data backed up 3x,
can essay the BIOS update.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

BigJim

sometimes there are problems with the original bios (errors on startup) or
your going add a hard drive which the old bios won't recognize. Sometimes
you upgrade for it to recognize a faster cpu.
If your not going to upgrade or your not getting problems, then there is no
reason to flash the bios. Unless instructed by the manufacture in this case
Dell.
"Kia_Breizzze" <lakassa21@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I know the bios isn't hardware but I'm sure some of you out there will
> be able to advise.
> Should I bother to upgrade my bios or will it just give me problems?
> I'm using a G1 Optiplex and have bios rev A03 - I believe the current
> is A09 or A10. Also if I should upgrade it do I need to upgrade to 4
> then 5 and so on or do I just get the latest?
> Many Thanks
> Kia
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

HH wrote:
> I agree with Stew, especially if your Dell is NOT attached to a UPS. Not
> worth the risk, albeit slight, that a power surge or outage might hit in the
> middle of the flash, which could turn your PC into a boat anchor or
> doorstop.

I would also recommend you assume the worst, i.e., that the new BIOS has
some sort of problem, and make sure you have your current BIOS on a
floppy so you can reflash back if necessary. This ability has saved my
rear end more than once.

Before upgrading a BIOS, one must first learn what that BIOS
upgrades. Answering the OP's question and yet not one
responder even asked what the upgrade fixes. Answers without
first learning basic facts. BIOS is a dangerous and often
unnecessary operation. Most of what the BIOS does has long
since been proven. Once a computer is booted, the BIOS is
replaced by Operating System functions (except if using
obsolete OSes such and Windows 9x/ME or DOS).

Kia_Breizzze - first provide important facts. What does the
upgrade fix? Computer boots just fine. Therefore most likely
those upgrades only fix things you don't even have or use.
First post facts. What would be fixed by that BIOS upgrade?
All previous answers were just wild speculation or accurately
noted the danger to maybe no benefit. First get facts. What
would that upgrade accomplish?

snoopy wrote:
> But systems are full of unknowns until they rear their ugly head,
> usually at the worse possible time. Anybody with a PC should
> have overcome their fear of the unknown hehehe.
>
> One caveat I would include is that to never, unless absolutely
> necessary, flash to a just released BIOS. Wait and see what
> may have been screwed up by the new BIOS. It seems to happen
> more frequently than it should. If the BIOS has been out for a
> while it's probably OK. And a great time to flash (get your
> mind out of the gutter!;-) is just before a reinstall of the OS.
> You will already have done backups, RIGHT?!

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I've flashed many BIOSes without any problem. IMO many exaggerate the
dangers needlessly. Given proper preparation and research the operation is
not dangerous. I think the people that screw it up many times haven't read
and understand the instructions. The number of BIOS updates that go wrong
is miniscule compared to how many go without a hitch. Being 7 revs behind
on the BIOS is not a good thing IMO. How do you know the OP isn't having
problems that are already fixed with one of the BIOS updates?

"w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Before upgrading a BIOS, one must first learn what that BIOS
> upgrades. Answering the OP's question and yet not one
> responder even asked what the upgrade fixes. Answers without
> first learning basic facts. BIOS is a dangerous and often
> unnecessary operation. Most of what the BIOS does has long
> since been proven. Once a computer is booted, the BIOS is
> replaced by Operating System functions (except if using
> obsolete OSes such and Windows 9x/ME or DOS).
>
> Kia_Breizzze - first provide important facts. What does the
> upgrade fix? Computer boots just fine. Therefore most likely
> those upgrades only fix things you don't even have or use.
> First post facts. What would be fixed by that BIOS upgrade?
> All previous answers were just wild speculation or accurately
> noted the danger to maybe no benefit. First get facts. What
> would that upgrade accomplish?
>
> snoopy wrote:
> > But systems are full of unknowns until they rear their ugly head,
> > usually at the worse possible time. Anybody with a PC should
> > have overcome their fear of the unknown hehehe.
> >
> > One caveat I would include is that to never, unless absolutely
> > necessary, flash to a just released BIOS. Wait and see what
> > may have been screwed up by the new BIOS. It seems to happen
> > more frequently than it should. If the BIOS has been out for a
> > while it's probably OK. And a great time to flash (get your
> > mind out of the gutter!;-) is just before a reinstall of the OS.
> > You will already have done backups, RIGHT?!

hh

Spend some time in tech support and you will change your mind about the
risks inviolved in BIOS flashing. Again, unless the BIOS update has an
enhamncement or fix that the user REQUIRES, it is foolish to take that risk.
HH

> I've flashed many BIOSes without any problem. IMO many exaggerate the
> dangers needlessly. Given proper preparation and research the operation
is
> not dangerous. I think the people that screw it up many times haven't
read
> and understand the instructions. The number of BIOS updates that go wrong
> is miniscule compared to how many go without a hitch. Being 7 revs behind
> on the BIOS is not a good thing IMO. How do you know the OP isn't having
> problems that are already fixed with one of the BIOS updates?
>

> "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Before upgrading a BIOS, one must first learn what that BIOS
> > upgrades. Answering the OP's question and yet not one
> > responder even asked what the upgrade fixes. Answers without
> > first learning basic facts. BIOS is a dangerous and often
> > unnecessary operation. Most of what the BIOS does has long
> > since been proven. Once a computer is booted, the BIOS is
> > replaced by Operating System functions (except if using
> > obsolete OSes such and Windows 9x/ME or DOS).
> >
> > Kia_Breizzze - first provide important facts. What does the
> > upgrade fix? Computer boots just fine. Therefore most likely
> > those upgrades only fix things you don't even have or use.
> > First post facts. What would be fixed by that BIOS upgrade?
> > All previous answers were just wild speculation or accurately
> > noted the danger to maybe no benefit. First get facts. What
> > would that upgrade accomplish?
> >
> > snoopy wrote:
> > > But systems are full of unknowns until they rear their ugly head,
> > > usually at the worse possible time. Anybody with a PC should
> > > have overcome their fear of the unknown hehehe.
> > >
> > > One caveat I would include is that to never, unless absolutely
> > > necessary, flash to a just released BIOS. Wait and see what
> > > may have been screwed up by the new BIOS. It seems to happen
> > > more frequently than it should. If the BIOS has been out for a
> > > while it's probably OK. And a great time to flash (get your
> > > mind out of the gutter!;-) is just before a reinstall of the OS.
> > > You will already have done backups, RIGHT?!

"w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Before upgrading a BIOS, one must first learn what that BIOS
> upgrades. Answering the OP's question and yet not one
> responder even asked what the upgrade fixes. Answers without
> first learning basic facts. BIOS is a dangerous and often
> unnecessary operation. Most of what the BIOS does has long
> since been proven. Once a computer is booted, the BIOS is
> replaced by Operating System functions (except if using
> obsolete OSes such and Windows 9x/ME or DOS).

<snip>

Someone must've said "whole house grounding".

Stew

> Spend some time in tech support and you will change your mind about the
> risks inviolved in BIOS flashing. Again, unless the BIOS update has an
> enhamncement or fix that the user REQUIRES, it is foolish to take that
> risk.
> HH

<snip>

Werd.

Or, for those who still aren't getting it, "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it."

Stew

I wasn't going to take a side in this discussion, but what the heck...

It's just like HH says it: Why take the risk? Admittedly, that risk is small
if you're prepared and careful, but why take it if there's no need? BIOSes
recognize hardware attributes - beyond that they do not improve performance
or solve software problems. Sometimes, recognizing a hardware attribute
solves a problem - as it does when you install a hard disk larger than 137
GB or want to use advanced power management - but that doesn't make it a
performance improver.

I guess it comes down to your philosophy of using a computer.

Rocky

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Spend some time in tech support and you will change your mind about the
> risks inviolved in BIOS flashing. Again, unless the BIOS update has an
> enhamncement or fix that the user REQUIRES, it is foolish to take that
risk.
> HH
>
> "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> > I've flashed many BIOSes without any problem. IMO many exaggerate the
> > dangers needlessly. Given proper preparation and research the operation
> is
> > not dangerous. I think the people that screw it up many times haven't
> read
> > and understand the instructions. The number of BIOS updates that go
wrong
> > is miniscule compared to how many go without a hitch. Being 7 revs
behind
> > on the BIOS is not a good thing IMO. How do you know the OP isn't
having
> > problems that are already fixed with one of the BIOS updates?
> >

> > "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Before upgrading a BIOS, one must first learn what that BIOS
> > > upgrades. Answering the OP's question and yet not one
> > > responder even asked what the upgrade fixes. Answers without
> > > first learning basic facts. BIOS is a dangerous and often
> > > unnecessary operation. Most of what the BIOS does has long
> > > since been proven. Once a computer is booted, the BIOS is
> > > replaced by Operating System functions (except if using
> > > obsolete OSes such and Windows 9x/ME or DOS).
> > >
> > > Kia_Breizzze - first provide important facts. What does the
> > > upgrade fix? Computer boots just fine. Therefore most likely
> > > those upgrades only fix things you don't even have or use.
> > > First post facts. What would be fixed by that BIOS upgrade?
> > > All previous answers were just wild speculation or accurately
> > > noted the danger to maybe no benefit. First get facts. What
> > > would that upgrade accomplish?

Thanks and I kinda get the picture which is don't bother.
I expected the answers to go one of two ways a)do it and do it now or
b) no don't do it if at all possible.
I figure from the replies that if i randomly went ahead and did this
that I'd probably be back (on someone els'e pc :roll: ) to ask how do
I fix it - if it can go wrong it usually does so I'll be leaving it
as is for the time being :wink:

==============

hh

A wise decision, since tthere often is no way to "fix it" if a BIOS flash
goes bad or is interrupted. You are left with a boat anchor or doorstop.
Stew said it succinctly "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
HH

snoopy <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> coughed up the following:

> I've flashed many BIOSes without any problem. IMO many exaggerate the
> dangers needlessly. Given proper preparation and research the
> operation is not dangerous. I think the people that screw it up many
> times haven't read and understand the instructions. The number of
> BIOS updates that go wrong is miniscule compared to how many go
> without a hitch. Being 7 revs behind on the BIOS is not a good thing
> IMO. How do you know the OP isn't having problems that are already
> fixed with one of the BIOS updates?

/WHY/ is being 7 revs behind on the BIOS particularly bad? /IF/ the OP
doesn't seem to be having problems, then it seems like tempting fate to
flash to the latest flavor. If there is something in the BIOS that
might be going wrong without him knowing it, say it slows down his
system without his knowing it, if you blindly flash routinely you must
take into account that the new bios(es) might make it worse.

....[slash]...

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:

> Spend some time in tech support and you will change your mind about
> the risks inviolved in BIOS flashing. Again, unless the BIOS update
> has an enhamncement or fix that the user REQUIRES, it is foolish to
> take that risk. HH

Yes. Agreed. I second that. You are right. What he said.

I don't know what else I could say. :) Perhaps I could just add
exclamation points....

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:

> A wise decision, since tthere often is no way to "fix it" if a BIOS
> flash goes bad or is interrupted. You are left with a boat anchor or
> doorstop. Stew said it succinctly "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
> HH

Should there be a totally unflashable hardwired uber-bios that takes
over when the user jumpers a couple pins on the motherboard? Something
that knows how to further flash a completely munged regular bios?

Something @#$%s up during a flash. Jumper the pins, and flash again.
(?)

Or perhaps, there is an entirely separate hardwired access to the floppy
drive meant /just/ for flashing purposes. It takes over when someone
pushes a button on the back and wiggles it a little :). If the bios is
munged during a flash, flash it again until the thing boots?

Seems sensible to me.

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Calgon, take me away!

Rocky

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:er9pc.30924$vz5.28224@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:
>
> > A wise decision, since tthere often is no way to "fix it" if a BIOS
> > flash goes bad or is interrupted. You are left with a boat anchor or
> > doorstop. Stew said it succinctly "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
> > HH
>
> Should there be a totally unflashable hardwired uber-bios that takes
> over when the user jumpers a couple pins on the motherboard? Something
> that knows how to further flash a completely munged regular bios?
>
> Something @#$%s up during a flash. Jumper the pins, and flash again.
> (?)
>
> Or perhaps, there is an entirely separate hardwired access to the floppy
> drive meant /just/ for flashing purposes. It takes over when someone
> pushes a button on the back and wiggles it a little :). If the bios is
> munged during a flash, flash it again until the thing boots?
>
> Seems sensible to me.
>
> --
> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Aw c'mon I'm serious. What would be so catastrophically difficult about
it?

In a world of disaster conscious computer consumers (even grandmothers
these days know what a "crash" is), it seems like a fairly cheap no
brainer.

Rocket J. Squirrel <rocky@bullwinkle.com> coughed up the following:

wrote in message news:9Capc.31038$vz5.28147@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

> Aw c'mon I'm serious. What would be so catastrophically difficult about
> it?
>
> In a world of disaster conscious computer consumers (even grandmothers
> these days know what a "crash" is), it seems like a fairly cheap no
> brainer.

<snip>

Note the dates. I have no idea how EFI is progressing, but this is some
decent general information:

http://news.com.com/2100-7337-5131787.html

http://news.com.com/2100-7339_3-5111993.html?tag=st_rn

A quick scan of both also seems to show little info. w/regard to recovery if
at all needed.

Stew

Exactly why a BIOS manufacturer lists change or correction
for each BIOS Revision. The only relevant information freely
provided by manufacturer and still is not provided. In most
cases, BIOS changes don't affect the computer user. And so
again: without that manufacturer's Revision list, then no one
can rightly recommend a BIOS be upgraded. We can speculate
that since BIOS correction for something critical rarely
exist, and since computer boots just fine; then why fix
(endanger) something that ain't broke. Either get the
manufacturer's list of what each revision fixes - or leave a
working computer as is.