P991 refresh rate question

Carol

My monitor is flickering slightly. Most noticable on a white
bacground. I'm sure the refresh rate is wrong. I've had the system a
while and I don't remember how to change it or what it should be.

I've been having video adapter problems and I'm sure that all the
changes I've made have cause the refresh rate to get reset. I also
pressed the monitor's reset button at one point hoping to solve my
problems - didn't work.

How do I change the refresh rate and what should it be?

Thanks very much.

Carol

That did it. Thanks to you both!

googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0406090913.35683e8e@posting.google.com>...
> My monitor is flickering slightly. Most noticable on a white
> bacground. I'm sure the refresh rate is wrong. I've had the system a
> while and I don't remember how to change it or what it should be.
>
> I've been having video adapter problems and I'm sure that all the
> changes I've made have cause the refresh rate to get reset. I also
> pressed the monitor's reset button at one point hoping to solve my
> problems - didn't work.
>
> How do I change the refresh rate and what should it be?
>
> Thanks very much.

Right click on the desktop and select Properties. Choose the Settings tab
and click on the Advanced button. Choose the Monitor tab. 75Hz.

Rocky

"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My monitor is flickering slightly. Most noticable on a white
> bacground. I'm sure the refresh rate is wrong. I've had the system a
> while and I don't remember how to change it or what it should be.
>
> I've been having video adapter problems and I'm sure that all the
> changes I've made have cause the refresh rate to get reset. I also
> pressed the monitor's reset button at one point hoping to solve my
> problems - didn't work.
>
> How do I change the refresh rate and what should it be?
>
> Thanks very much.

Or click the adapter tab and check settings there. My 991
will run at 1024x768 @ 120 Hz or 1280x1024 @ 85Hz.

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> Right click on the desktop and select Properties. Choose the Settings
tab
> and click on the Advanced button. Choose the Monitor tab. 75Hz.
>
> Rocky
>
> "Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > My monitor is flickering slightly. Most noticable on a white
> > bacground. I'm sure the refresh rate is wrong. I've had the system
> > while and I don't remember how to change it or what it should be.
> >
> > I've been having video adapter problems and I'm sure that all the
> > changes I've made have cause the refresh rate to get reset. I also
> > pressed the monitor's reset button at one point hoping to solve my
> > problems - didn't work.
> >
> > How do I change the refresh rate and what should it be?
> >
> > Thanks very much.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:16:54 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Rocket J.
Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>Right click on the desktop and select Properties. Choose the Settings tab
>and click on the Advanced button. Choose the Monitor tab. 75Hz.

The users guide and on screen display for my P991 both list an optimal
refresh rate of 85Hz.

I've been using that setting happily for the three years I've had this
system. No idea if there's any real difference from using 75Hz. :)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

If the user's guide says 85Hz, why did you ask?

The faster your CRT refreshes, the less the image appears to jitter very
slightly. For most of us, refresh rates of 75Hz produce a rock-solid image,
and anything higher than 75Hz just occupies your graphics system without
contributing anything to the stability of the image. However, some of us
won't see a steady image utill the refresh is raised to 85Hz.

That said, if your work (or hobby) has you staring at a large monitor at
close range - if you're working with graphics at professional level, for
example - then you might even benefit from higher refresh rates.

Here's what you could do: Set the monitor to 75Hz and have a good look at
details on your screen at relatively close range. For example, I look at the
word 'Start' on the Start menu button. If those letters don't look perfectly
still, raise the refresh to 85Hz. Even if the image looks great at 75Hz, if
you find yourself tiring of looking at your monitor over extended periods of
time, raise the refresh to 85Hz. Sometimes the effect is subtle.

Rocky

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<009f44bcfa539553581d3f68a9fd9d4b@news.teranews.com>...
> If the user's guide says 85Hz, why did you ask?

I think you have my original post mixed up with someone's response.

Anyway, the default for my adapter was 75hz. There was a very
noticable flicker. It has disappeared at 85 so for me it made a big
difference.

Thanks again for the instructions.

Carol wrote:

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<009f44bcfa539553581d3f68a9fd9d4b@news.teranews.com>...
>
>>If the user's guide says 85Hz, why did you ask?
>
> I think you have my original post mixed up with someone's response.
>
> Anyway, the default for my adapter was 75hz. There was a very
> noticable flicker. It has disappeared at 85 so for me it made a big
> difference.
>
> Thanks again for the instructions.

Did you try 85 hz? Is it better now?