  • Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 18, 2005 9:45:42 PM

when I boot up I get a error window that says general protection fault
Error,please delete file. how do I find the file. Help Bill Holmes

More about : error

September 18, 2005 9:45:43 PM

william e. holmes wrote:

> when I boot up I get a error window that says general protection fault
> Error,please delete file. how do I find the file. Help Bill Holmes

You need to provide a lot more information if you want to get focused
troubleshooting.

1. Give some description of the computer - is it old? hardware specs?
2. Did the computer ever work correctly? If so, what changed between the
time things worked and the time they didn't?
3. Is there any more to the error message than just General Protection
Fault?
4. What version of XP are you running (Home or Pro) and what Service
Pack level?
5. Have you done any troubleshooting at all? If so, what?
6. Does the machine boot into Windows at all? Exactly when do you get
the error message?
7. Are you able to get into Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi William,

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

More detail would be needed for a more meaningful answer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"william e. holmes" <wholmess@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> when I boot up I get a error window that says general protection fault
> Error,please delete file. how do I find the file. Help Bill Holmes

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:57:03 AM

William

Please post a copy of the Error Message. However, my suspicion is that your query to an earlier operating system and not Windows XP to which this newsgroup is dedicated.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~