Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express - when will it come out?

Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2004 9:57:52 AM

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about any clear release date for PCI Express motherboards and graphics cards? I'm planning on an AMD system and, probably ATI X800 card.

So should I wait to buy a new AGP graphics card now or wait until PCI Express systems are out? It would be nice if the manufacturers indeed would decide on a release date soon ;) 

My system: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ / Corsair 2Gb DDR400 / MSI K8T Neo FIS2R / ASUS Radeon 9800XT / Antec TruePower 550W / Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120 Gb / Pioneer DVR-A07

More about : pci express

May 19, 2004 2:00:03 PM

Some time this autumn, if they won't make their minds.
May 19, 2004 2:03:43 PM

Grantsdale (i915) will be launched roughly a month from now.

It will probably be the first to support PCI-Express functionality. It will also have several more interesting features.

I don't think there are any AMD boards that currently support PCI-Express, and I am unaware of any product launches anytime soon....

But also consider that PCI-Express isn't expected to really boost graphics performance by much when it's launched... (could be wrong, though, waiting is the only way to be actually sure!!)

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
Related resources
May 19, 2004 4:58:51 PM

Yeah I just came to read something about the release of Grantsdale soon. While I for sure am considering the switch again to Intel, I do prefer the AMD and the Athlon 64, for the moment.

I did read something a while back about PCI-Express-powered VIA and maybe SiS as well, but I don't remember seeing any release dates. I wish they could release something soon, after all if someone wants to upgrade, they have to realize that in that case, they will need to upgrade CPU, motherboard AND graphics card at the same time.

You're right. Considering that the increases from AGP 1x-8x brought such a small performance boost that they did, the switch to PCI Express might not yield such a big performance increase as the numbers says. However as you say, until we see the actual numbers no one can be absolutely sure.

My system: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ / Corsair 2Gb DDR400 / MSI K8T Neo FIS2R / ASUS Radeon 9800XT / Antec TruePower 550W / Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120 Gb / Pioneer DVR-A07
May 19, 2004 5:37:24 PM

id say right now, wait, if oyur current system is fine then wait a few months. Via is indeed coming out with a pci-e chipset for the athlon line and boards will be out with it in june, unless they delay it again. Sis keeps saying they will be the first ones out with a pci-e chipset for amd by the end of may, but I wouldnt count on it. And so far there hasnt been any word form nivida on pci-e for amd chips.

If you really want pci-e, which you dont really need this year unless your doing soemhting like dual cards in that alienware set up, then you can wait a month or two and get an amd board with pci-e. Id say nvidia wont be far behind, but last i heard they would be waiting till like august for thier chipsets.
May 20, 2004 12:06:32 AM

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll probably decide in the following days if I'll wait for PCI Express or not before upgrading...

May 20, 2004 1:42:49 AM

Pci-express is about band width. Even the new high powered graphics card can not use the downstream bandwith available on 8X agp (not even 6X yet)
The only advantage to Pci-express is the upstream bandwidth. This means that if you use your graphics card to input HDTV for storage on your hdd, you may want Pci-express. Personally, I would use a pci card, seperate from my gaming graphics card.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2004 6:15:01 AM

This question is so old it has 2003 written all over it. Asking again isn't changing anything, estimated production of PCI express chipsets starts in June, and only stupid people will buy the earliest available stuff while the rest of us wait for manufacturers to get the bugs out. AMD chipsets will likely be released after Intel, and the smart money is on waiting until around the end of the year for such an investment. Which means if you want a system now, forget about PCI express.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 20, 2004 9:13:36 AM

You mean you're not gonna grab that VIA PCI-Ex Chipset as soon as it's available, crash? :wink:

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
May 20, 2004 9:15:09 AM

I'm willing to wait, and more wait means more savings. I'd go for S939 w/ PCI-E, mainle because I like the upgrade options. I hope they eill have PCI-E chipsets in autumn. I started a <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">thread</A> on how to build a system w/ S939 and PCI-E card and get it cheap.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2004 9:35:09 AM

er...w00t?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 20, 2004 9:53:45 AM

Well sorry for asking again then, but obviously I didn't know for sure if there were any set release dates, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Anyways, I just read over at the Inquirer that Via was planning mass production for the K8T890 chipset, equipped with PCI Express. Does anyone know if this is a Socket 939 chip?

May 20, 2004 1:06:20 PM

Personnaly SIS and VIA have allwayse a good record bringing new standart in the same time that intel or faster.AGP8X been avaible for K7 way before P4.SIS and VIA have release there boards even before intel have finish the specification.

Many bug were found, so i wont be too fast to go with a non intel chipset with PCI-EX.

i need to change useur name.
May 20, 2004 3:56:46 PM

yeah the K8T890 will be used with socket 939
May 20, 2004 8:31:08 PM

>Pci-express is about band width. Even the new high powered
>graphics card can not use the downstream bandwith available
>on 8X agp (not even 6X yet)
>The only advantage to Pci-express is the upstream
>bandwidth. This means that if you use your graphics card to
>input HDTV for storage on your hdd, you may want
>Pci-express.

Yep, agreed. PCI-E is not likely to bring (m)any advantages for typical useage, but it probably is a God-sent for anyone recording high res video, and it also offers some neat perspectives for 3D artists to have the GPU do (part of) the rendering.

For gamers the one advantage I see is the possibility of using several videocards, but then I'm not sure if any boards will ship this year that offer more than one PCI-E x16 slot. Even more, like I stated in the "Tim Sweeny" post, I don't think this will be a very viable option with a 32 bit CPU/OS (you'd be limited to a pair of 128 MB cards, maybe 256 MB but never more).

IDE Raid is not likely to saturate your PCI bus either which doesnt leave many reasons to wait for it, unless you are doing high res video recording and/or rendering.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
!