Problems............

OpeD

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
hi there....hoping someone can help me.

im a bit of a n00b when it comes to hardware and building pc's and stuff so excuse me if i sound like a complete idiot!

Ok heres the story.....yesterday i got an A64 3000 with a asus KV8 mobo, a radeon 9800 pro and 1gig of ddr corsair pc3200 value select ram.

me and my friend put the heatsink and chip on very easily...it all went on smoothly and there was no horrible use of force ( as i have seen before with putting those things on!)..........we fitted my mobo into my case and put the ram in.

i then tried to power up and nothing happened.....the power went on , but it did not post.

we then had a look and realised that one stick of ram was not completly flush with the other ( about 3-4mm sticking up the way )..........then fitted it back in and same thing happend....could of this initial mistake screwed the lot of it????

another thing that i think could be the problem is my power supply....it is only a 300 output one.......i dont know if this is enuff or not....can anyone tell me???

also in the mobo book, it gave a list of "recomended" ram........corsair was NOT in there, my mate thinks this could be the issue and he is coming around tonight with his gig of samsung ddr ram to test it....samsung ram was in the book.

if anyone has ANY thoughts on this please post up!

thanks in advance.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Could of this initial mistake screwed the lot of it????

Doubtfull.

Its possible its the memory modules which your MB does not like, trying with a different pair is a good idea. If that works, flash the BIOS to the latest, and set memory timings to the least aggressive (slowest) and try again with the Corsair modules. If that works, try increasing the memory timings again to the point where they fail memtest86. Do not worry if those settings are relatively high latency, A64 performance isnt all that sensitive to memory timings.

But I can't rule out the power supply either, especially not with the 9800 Pro which is quite a big power consumer by itselve. If you have an old PCI or AGP card laying around, try with that one just to make sure.

Oh, and this may sound silly, but you did try with disconnected IDE and floppy drives ? IMHO this is by far the most common cause for not posting; just a simple mistake connecting the IDE cables..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Oh, and this may sound silly, but you did try with disconnected IDE and floppy drives ? IMHO this is by far the most common cause for not posting; just a simple mistake connecting the IDE cables..
Why silly? Just untill soon ago, I thiught IDE's cannot be reversed, until I hadto install a PC W/ an awfull mobo(I did not reccomend it). The second IDE cable could very easily be reversed, and to tell you honestly, I even mistakenly reversed it. I noticed that b4 turning on the PC. This is not silly at all.