Jumping mouse cursor

Kerilynjohnson

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
My cursor on my laptop consistantly jumps all over the page and will not allow me to type even one word. I am not touching the touch pad with my hands and I've tried even using a usb mouse. I don't know what else to do! Help me please

has the laptop always acted like this?

does it do this all the time or just when typing?

make sure you aren't brushing the touchpad when typing if yes. try visually making sure you aren't even close to the touchpad to see (like typing with one or two fingers to test)

i know some laptops touchpads are set ultra sensitive. even a very light touch/brush can set it off. you can adjust sensitivity. turning it way down can help in some cases.

also, some new laptops have a few touchpad commands built in. i know ours was giving us trouble so i disabled these and we haven't been having any trouble lately. the mouse was jumping around just like you said (and the problem was while typing you bump it sometimes without realizing it at all)

if the trouble isn't you brushing the pad without realizing it i'm not sure what the issue is. without knowing when it started happening and any other relevant data (such as what you were doing at the time it started, any other issues, new programs installed, virus infestation , etc) i have no other ideas.