MN-500 settings OR factory reset with Win2k

I have Windows 2000 (only) on my network, and an MN-500, whose wireless
configuration utility expressly forbids installation on 2000. I am aware of
the http://192.168.2.1 configuration, but I'd like to be able to update the
firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge mode.
Without being able to run the XP/98SE tool on the CD-ROM, how can I do this?

Many thanks, N. Buzdor
6 answers Last reply
More about settings factory reset win2k

    There are only two ways to update the firmware on the MN-500. They both
    require you to be on the same network as the MN-500 (this is referring
    to a TCP/IP network). One is browse to http://192.168.2.1 (or whatever
    IP address you have assigned to it). Then select "Management" on the
    left hand side. Then go into "Upgrade Firmware" that is where you can
    point it to the *.dlf file that contains the firmware for the MN-500.

    The only other way is to run the update wizard on a Windows 98, Windows
    ME, or Windows XP computer.

    Also only install the update on a wired connection as a wireless
    connection can have radio drop which will ruin the MN-500.

    N Buzdor wrote:

    > I have Windows 2000 (only) on my network, and an MN-500, whose wireless
    > configuration utility expressly forbids installation on 2000. I am aware of
    > the http://192.168.2.1 configuration, but I'd like to be able to update the
    > firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge mode.
    > Without being able to run the XP/98SE tool on the CD-ROM, how can I do this?
    >
    > Many thanks, N. Buzdor

    > ...One is browse to http://192.168.2.1 (or whatever
    > IP address you have assigned to it). Then select "Management" on the
    > left hand side. Then go into "Upgrade Firmware" that is where you can

    Thanks for the note, Joker! I didn't realize I could upload the firmware
    upgrade through the web interface. The only obsticle now is:

    > > firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge
    mode.

    Please note that I'm running the hardware as a bridge, so it has no web
    interface. I'd still like to be able to change WEP settings when necessary,
    or the firmware upgrade at a later date from a W2k machine (so no client
    tool on accompanying CD-ROM). Is there still a ghostly hidden web interface
    somewhere when running as a bridge?

    Finally, there appears to be a downloadable client tool at
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx
    to upgrade the client software that appears to support W2k, but it doesn't
    list the MN-500 in it's list of supported devices. Is this an erroneous
    omission, or intentional?

    Thanks for keeping such a close eye on the forum and helping!
    --N. Buzdor

    If you read the read me file for the update you will notice it only
    mentions the items that are new to this version of the upgrade.

    The user manual is wrong in saying that you cannot access it while it is
    in bridge mode.

    The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be
    the same as the MN-500's. An example would be 10.5.25.26 assuming your
    MN-500 has been assigned an IP address in the 10.5.25.1-254 range.

    So this means if you are going to use a different set of IP addresses
    other then the default range of 192.168.2.1-254 You will have to change
    the IP address of the MN-500 as well. You will need to use the same
    subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 though. The only real problem that causes
    is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP
    address.

    N Buzdor wrote:
    >>...One is browse to http://192.168.2.1 (or whatever
    >>IP address you have assigned to it). Then select "Management" on the
    >>left hand side. Then go into "Upgrade Firmware" that is where you can
    >

    > Thanks for the note, Joker! I didn't realize I could upload the firmware
    > upgrade through the web interface. The only obsticle now is:
    >

    >>>firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge
    >
    > mode.
    >
    > Please note that I'm running the hardware as a bridge, so it has no web
    > interface. I'd still like to be able to change WEP settings when necessary,
    > or the firmware upgrade at a later date from a W2k machine (so no client
    > tool on accompanying CD-ROM). Is there still a ghostly hidden web interface
    > somewhere when running as a bridge?
    >
    > Finally, there appears to be a downloadable client tool at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx
    > to upgrade the client software that appears to support W2k, but it doesn't
    > list the MN-500 in it's list of supported devices. Is this an erroneous
    > omission, or intentional?
    >
    > Thanks for keeping such a close eye on the forum and helping!
    > --N. Buzdor

    > mentions the items that are new to this version of the upgrade.

    Ah, I didn't download it since I didn't think it'd apply, so I didn't get
    that far. Thanks for the notice.

    > The user manual is wrong in saying that you cannot access it while it is
    > in bridge mode.

    Wonderful!

    > The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be

    I didn't know that. Since my (other) DHCP server has a different starting
    address, I wasn't getting through. I'll static my machine and try again.

    > is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP

    So what will I do with my two-hundred and fifty-fifth computer? J/k, you've
    been more then helpful. Hope I can pass the favor along sometime,
    --NDB

    Don't forget that print servers, managed switches, routers, & access
    point all use up an IP address.

    N Buzdor wrote:

    >>The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be
    >

    > I didn't know that. Since my (other) DHCP server has a different starting
    > address, I wasn't getting through. I'll static my machine and try again.

    That's a basic rule of TCP/IP. You use the binary version of the subnet
    mask (The MN-500 will only have a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask on the LAN
    connection.) to determine what part of the binary version of the IP
    address is the network (the default in the case of the MN-500 is
    192.168.2 for the network) with the remainder to specify the device on
    that network.

    Also the only networking device that can communicate to two different
    networks is a router. You can turn a computer into a router if you have
    two or more network connections on the computer. ICS in Windows is an
    example of a computer becoming a router.

    >>is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP
    >

    > So what will I do with my two-hundred and fifty-fifth computer? J/k, you've
    > been more then helpful. Hope I can pass the favor along sometime,
    > --NDB

    The reason for the limit is that both the network & the remainder of the
    IP address can not be all ones or zeros (just remember that TCP/IP v4 is
    read in binary). So that means that .255 & .0 are out leaving you with
    1-254 or 254 IP addresses.

Routers Configuration Networking