MN-500 settings OR factory reset with Win2k

Last response: in Networking
September 7, 2004 1:28:36 AM

I have Windows 2000 (only) on my network, and an MN-500, whose wireless
configuration utility expressly forbids installation on 2000. I am aware of
the http://192.168.2.1 configuration, but I'd like to be able to update the
firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge mode.
Without being able to run the XP/98SE tool on the CD-ROM, how can I do this?

Many thanks, N. Buzdor
September 7, 2004 12:47:57 PM

There are only two ways to update the firmware on the MN-500. They both
require you to be on the same network as the MN-500 (this is referring
to a TCP/IP network). One is browse to http://192.168.2.1 (or whatever
IP address you have assigned to it). Then select "Management" on the
left hand side. Then go into "Upgrade Firmware" that is where you can
point it to the *.dlf file that contains the firmware for the MN-500.

The only other way is to run the update wizard on a Windows 98, Windows
ME, or Windows XP computer.

Also only install the update on a wired connection as a wireless
connection can have radio drop which will ruin the MN-500.

N Buzdor wrote:

> I have Windows 2000 (only) on my network, and an MN-500, whose wireless
> configuration utility expressly forbids installation on 2000. I am aware of
> the http://192.168.2.1 configuration, but I'd like to be able to update the
> firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge mode.
> Without being able to run the XP/98SE tool on the CD-ROM, how can I do this?
>
> Many thanks, N. Buzdor

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 5:35:40 PM

> ...One is browse to http://192.168.2.1 (or whatever
> IP address you have assigned to it). Then select "Management" on the
> left hand side. Then go into "Upgrade Firmware" that is where you can

Thanks for the note, Joker! I didn't realize I could upload the firmware
upgrade through the web interface. The only obsticle now is:

> > firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge
mode.

Please note that I'm running the hardware as a bridge, so it has no web
interface. I'd still like to be able to change WEP settings when necessary,
or the firmware upgrade at a later date from a W2k machine (so no client
tool on accompanying CD-ROM). Is there still a ghostly hidden web interface
somewhere when running as a bridge?

Finally, there appears to be a downloadable client tool at
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
to upgrade the client software that appears to support W2k, but it doesn't
list the MN-500 in it's list of supported devices. Is this an erroneous
omission, or intentional?

Thanks for keeping such a close eye on the forum and helping!
--N. Buzdor
Related resources
September 8, 2004 12:12:08 AM

If you read the read me file for the update you will notice it only
mentions the items that are new to this version of the upgrade.

The user manual is wrong in saying that you cannot access it while it is
in bridge mode.

The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be
the same as the MN-500's. An example would be 10.5.25.26 assuming your
MN-500 has been assigned an IP address in the 10.5.25.1-254 range.

So this means if you are going to use a different set of IP addresses
other then the default range of 192.168.2.1-254 You will have to change
the IP address of the MN-500 as well. You will need to use the same
subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 though. The only real problem that causes
is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP
address.

N Buzdor wrote:
>>...One is browse to http://192.168.2.1 (or whatever
>>IP address you have assigned to it). Then select "Management" on the
>>left hand side. Then go into "Upgrade Firmware" that is where you can
>

> Thanks for the note, Joker! I didn't realize I could upload the firmware
> upgrade through the web interface. The only obsticle now is:
>

>>>firmware, as well as changing WEP settings after I've set it to bridge
>
> mode.
>
> Please note that I'm running the hardware as a bridge, so it has no web
> interface. I'd still like to be able to change WEP settings when necessary,
> or the firmware upgrade at a later date from a W2k machine (so no client
> tool on accompanying CD-ROM). Is there still a ghostly hidden web interface
> somewhere when running as a bridge?
>
> Finally, there appears to be a downloadable client tool at
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
> to upgrade the client software that appears to support W2k, but it doesn't
> list the MN-500 in it's list of supported devices. Is this an erroneous
> omission, or intentional?
>
> Thanks for keeping such a close eye on the forum and helping!
> --N. Buzdor

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 8:26:31 PM

> mentions the items that are new to this version of the upgrade.

Ah, I didn't download it since I didn't think it'd apply, so I didn't get
that far. Thanks for the notice.

> The user manual is wrong in saying that you cannot access it while it is
> in bridge mode.

Wonderful!

> The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be

I didn't know that. Since my (other) DHCP server has a different starting
address, I wasn't getting through. I'll static my machine and try again.

> is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP

So what will I do with my two-hundred and fifty-fifth computer? J/k, you've
been more then helpful. Hope I can pass the favor along sometime,
--NDB
September 8, 2004 8:26:32 PM

Don't forget that print servers, managed switches, routers, & access
point all use up an IP address.

N Buzdor wrote:
>>mentions the items that are new to this version of the upgrade.
>

> Ah, I didn't download it since I didn't think it'd apply, so I didn't get
> that far. Thanks for the notice.
>

>>The user manual is wrong in saying that you cannot access it while it is
>>in bridge mode.
>

> Wonderful!
>

>>The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be
>

> I didn't know that. Since my (other) DHCP server has a different starting
> address, I wasn't getting through. I'll static my machine and try again.
>

>>is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP
>

> So what will I do with my two-hundred and fifty-fifth computer? J/k, you've
> been more then helpful. Hope I can pass the favor along sometime,
> --NDB

September 8, 2004 8:26:32 PM

N Buzdor wrote:

>>The only issue is the the first three octets of your IP address must be
>

> I didn't know that. Since my (other) DHCP server has a different starting
> address, I wasn't getting through. I'll static my machine and try again.

That's a basic rule of TCP/IP. You use the binary version of the subnet
mask (The MN-500 will only have a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask on the LAN
connection.) to determine what part of the binary version of the IP
address is the network (the default in the case of the MN-500 is
192.168.2 for the network) with the remainder to specify the device on
that network.

Also the only networking device that can communicate to two different
networks is a router. You can turn a computer into a router if you have
two or more network connections on the computer. ICS in Windows is an
example of a computer becoming a router.

>>is that you can only have up to 254 networking devices that take an IP
>

> So what will I do with my two-hundred and fifty-fifth computer? J/k, you've
> been more then helpful. Hope I can pass the favor along sometime,
> --NDB

The reason for the limit is that both the network & the remainder of the
IP address can not be all ones or zeros (just remember that TCP/IP v4 is
read in binary). So that means that .255 & .0 are out leaving you with
1-254 or 254 IP addresses.
!