how to set up a small home network?

My desktop computer is cable connected to a D-Link Di-624 router, which is
hooked to the internet through a DSL modem. My wife's notebook has 802.11g
wireless support and she is able to access the internet through the Di-624
router.

What we would like to do is to share the HP laser printer on my desktop. I
have been unable to ceate a network that incorporates both wireless and
wired. The XP wizards do not seem to give me the necessary options and I am
unsure whether I must first reconfigure the router. I'm unsure if this is a
router reconfiguration issue; an XP configuration issue; or both. Can someone
help me with this?

One option might be to "rip out" the lan cable from my computer to the
router and install 802.11g wireless on my desktop, thus giving a completely
wireless network; then trying the Wireless Network Wizard. I am unsure if
there would be any benefit in doing this.

Asus A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athion64 3500+
eVGA e-GeForce 6600 with 256MB
2GB Dual Channel Memory
D-Link Dl-624 Router
Windows XP Home Edition
Norton Antivirus 2005

In article <A3CF25B1-ECE3-4DA8-BEB5-BE9E33E99633@microsoft.com>,
"NanooseGuy" <NanooseGuy@Telus.net.(donotspam)> wrote:
>My desktop computer is cable connected to a D-Link Di-624 router, which is
>hooked to the internet through a DSL modem. My wife's notebook has 802.11g
>wireless support and she is able to access the internet through the Di-624
>router.
>
>What we would like to do is to share the HP laser printer on my desktop. I
>have been unable to ceate a network that incorporates both wireless and
>wired. The XP wizards do not seem to give me the necessary options and I am
>unsure whether I must first reconfigure the router. I'm unsure if this is a
>router reconfiguration issue; an XP configuration issue; or both. Can someone
>help me with this?
>
>One option might be to "rip out" the lan cable from my computer to the
>router and install 802.11g wireless on my desktop, thus giving a completely
>wireless network; then trying the Wireless Network Wizard. I am unsure if
>there would be any benefit in doing this.
>

>Asus A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
>AMD Athion64 3500+
>eVGA e-GeForce 6600 with 256MB
>2GB Dual Channel Memory
>D-Link Dl-624 Router
>Windows XP Home Edition
>Norton Antivirus 2005

Your setup is fine, with one computer connecting to the router through
a cable and the other connecting to the router through a wireless
connection. You don't have to configure the router.

Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer. If the Wizard detects
the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
connection. Otherwise, tell the Wizard that the computer connects to
the Internet through a residential gateway (router).

The Wizard will make all the right settings, including sharing the
printer.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks Steve. I'll give it a go!
--

NanooseGuy wrote:
> What we would like to do is to share the HP laser printer on my desktop.

Make sure the firewalls you're using are set up to allow File and
Printer Sharing on both PCs (if you're using the XP SP2 f/w, then Start
> Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions. Make sure File and
Printer Sharing is checked.

On the PC that the printer is connected to, Start > Printers and Faxes
> select printer, right click, Sharing > Share this printer ...

Hello,

There is a very good guide explaining how to share your printer over a home network. Its worth a
look:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/print_sharingw.mspx

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"NanooseGuy" <NanooseGuy@Telus.net.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> My desktop computer is cable connected to a D-Link Di-624 router, which is
> hooked to the internet through a DSL modem. My wife's notebook has 802.11g
> wireless support and she is able to access the internet through the Di-624
> router.
>
> What we would like to do is to share the HP laser printer on my desktop. I
> have been unable to ceate a network that incorporates both wireless and
> wired. The XP wizards do not seem to give me the necessary options and I am
> unsure whether I must first reconfigure the router. I'm unsure if this is a
> router reconfiguration issue; an XP configuration issue; or both. Can someone
> help me with this?
>
> One option might be to "rip out" the lan cable from my computer to the
> router and install 802.11g wireless on my desktop, thus giving a completely
> wireless network; then trying the Wireless Network Wizard. I am unsure if
> there would be any benefit in doing this.
>

> Asus A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
> AMD Athion64 3500+
> eVGA e-GeForce 6600 with 256MB
> 2GB Dual Channel Memory
> D-Link Dl-624 Router
> Windows XP Home Edition
> Norton Antivirus 2005

Thanks for the links Anando,
--

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There is a very good guide explaining how to share your printer over a home network. Its worth a
> look:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/print_sharingw.mspx
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "NanooseGuy" <NanooseGuy@Telus.net.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > My desktop computer is cable connected to a D-Link Di-624 router, which is
> > hooked to the internet through a DSL modem. My wife's notebook has 802.11g
> > wireless support and she is able to access the internet through the Di-624
> > router.
> >
> > What we would like to do is to share the HP laser printer on my desktop. I
> > have been unable to ceate a network that incorporates both wireless and
> > wired. The XP wizards do not seem to give me the necessary options and I am
> > unsure whether I must first reconfigure the router. I'm unsure if this is a
> > router reconfiguration issue; an XP configuration issue; or both. Can someone
> > help me with this?
> >
> > One option might be to "rip out" the lan cable from my computer to the
> > router and install 802.11g wireless on my desktop, thus giving a completely
> > wireless network; then trying the Wireless Network Wizard. I am unsure if
> > there would be any benefit in doing this.
> >

> > Asus A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
> > AMD Athion64 3500+
> > eVGA e-GeForce 6600 with 256MB
> > 2GB Dual Channel Memory