Faster CPU or better GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey people.
Was thinking about getting a laptop but I'm stuck between 2. They've practicly got the same specs and price with the only difference being:
Laptop 1 has Core i5 430M (2,26GHz) and Mobility Radeon HD5870
Laptop 2 has Core i5 450M (2,4GHz) and Mobility Radeon HD5850

I use the laptop for gaming mostly.

Now my question is obviously, does it matter which one I choose? Which part will give the best performance boost in games?

Thanks!
Regards

G

Thanks for your quick reply :)

So the better GPU is the choice to go for even though the i5 450M gives roughly 400MHz higher clockrate in turbo mode?

Thanks for your quick reply :)

So the better GPU is the choice to go for even though the i5 450M gives roughly 400MHz higher clockrate in turbo mode?

I think you mean the i5 540M. The one thing to keep in mind is that the max TurboBoost speed is only applied when one core is being used. More and more games are taking advantage of multi-core processors, so the likely hood of actually getting the full boost is pretty low with most current titles. Also, TurboBoost is thermally restricted. If temps are too high, it will not engage to the fullest extent or at all.

But for the most part GPUs play a far bigger role in gaming then the processor. This is especially true at higher resolutions (1680x1050 or above). Lower resolutions may depend a little more on the CPU, but most dual cores are able to handle it.

Out of curiosity, what two laptops are you looking at?

G

Nice answer, thanks man.

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?j=628243,567415 shows a comparison between the two. Damn hard to choose. What I like more about the HP with the 5850 is the fullHD resolution, the keyboard and the general design. On the other hand FullHD resolution on such a small screen might be a bit to exaggerated. It is hard to determine how much the difference will be in performance, but it is as you say, the noticeable difference will show in high resolutions, 4xAA, ultra settings, etc.

The site is in swedish but you'll figure the important things out ;)

Which one would you prefer? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS