• Opteron
  • Windows XP
Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2004 2:52:05 PM

GCC 3.3 suse SLES 64 bit
1369 int spec base
ICC 8.0 windows XP 32
1566 int spec base

There still a large decrease in performance to go with 64 bit mode.Use of PC 3200 non ecc non reg.Fastest score for a SMP chip.

GCC 3.3 suse SLES 8.0 64 bit
1591 fp spec base
ICC 8.0 windows 32 bit
1439 fp spec base

Unlike INT 64 bit mode offer a speedup.PC 3200 non ECC non reg is use.FP score have reach I2 1GHZ performance.

i need to change useur name.

More about : spec result opteron 250

May 20, 2004 3:59:46 PM

um im abit confused by what your saying? which set of scores is for the opteron?
May 20, 2004 4:32:19 PM

Both of them; it's two SPECint scores - one for 64-bit aware OS, the other for 32-bit aware OS.

The other one if SPECfp for these two same setups/configurations/compilers/OSs.

And his point is that Integer performance is actually worse in 64-bit aware OS than in 32-bit aware OS (prolly having to do with the size of the integer; it's more cumbersome). FP is actually up to 80 bit precise, so it doesn't suffer from the same effect.

Something like that.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
Related resources
May 20, 2004 8:06:33 PM

>And his point is that Integer performance is actually worse
>in 64-bit aware OS than in 32-bit aware OS (prolly having
>to do with the size of the integer; it's more cumbersome)

Nope, that would be rather trivial (even if it does exist). The real difference is just the compiler. 32 bit score is achieved using Intel's ICC compiler which we all know is exceptionally good for SPEC (and according to some people, exceptionnaly bad at generating reliable code) but doesnt support AMD64/EM64T yet, where as the 64 bit figures where obtained using GCC which is pretty much the de facto compiler on Linux/Unix (MSVC would be the number 1 windows compiler) but not quite as fast.

If you'd compare 32 bit to 64 bit scores both using the same compiler (like GCC), I'm sure you'd get a different picture.

> FP is actually up to 80 bit precise, so it doesn't suffer
>from the same effect.

I'll just pretend you did't say that :) 

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
May 21, 2004 2:31:09 AM

Nope, that would be rather trivial (even if it does exist). The real difference is just the compiler. 32 bit score is achieved using Intel's ICC compiler which we all know is exceptionally good for SPEC (and according to some people, exceptionnaly bad at generating reliable code) but doesnt support AMD64/EM64T yet, where as the 64 bit figures where obtained using GCC which is pretty much the de facto compiler on Linux/Unix (MSVC would be the number 1 windows compiler) but not quite as fast.

If you'd compare 32 bit to 64 bit scores both using the same compiler (like GCC), I'm sure you'd get a different picture.

Can you extrapolate a bit please.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 05/20/04 11:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>