Closed

Can't see options on screen

September 18, 2005 7:04:04 PM

I somehow made a BIG mistake under appearance and themes. I now cannot see
options on taskbar or menus. Because of this, I can't go back into the
control panel to change whatever option I messed up! I tried to do a system
restore to get back my original options, but I can't see the options on it
either! Please tell me how to get my options back. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!
--
Berrybest1

More about : options screen

September 19, 2005 4:27:19 AM

berryone <berryone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>I somehow made a BIG mistake under appearance and themes. I now cannot see
>options on taskbar or menus. Because of this, I can't go back into the
>control panel to change whatever option I messed up! I tried to do a system
>restore to get back my original options, but I can't see the options on it
>either! Please tell me how to get my options back. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!

Hi Berrybest1

Right-click the Desktop and choose Properties by pressing R, then Enter.

The Display Properties dialog will open on the Themes tab, and the Theme
drop-down box with the names of the themes should have focus. Now use
your "down arrow" key (cursor key) to go through the list of themes and
watch what is happening in the preview box.

Stop when you get to the plain blue Windows XP or Windows Classic
themes, whichever you prefer, and press Alt-A to Apply. Hopefully then
you should be able to see what you're doing :-) and can tweak the theme
until you have it how you like it.

Hope this helps

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Thanks Nightowl, but I can't see the drop-down menu that comes up when you
right-click on desktop. If I just click where I think it is, I get the same
black box that I get in the control panel! What a PAIN
--

"Nightowl" wrote:

> berryone <berryone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:
>
> >I somehow made a BIG mistake under appearance and themes. I now cannot see
> >options on taskbar or menus. Because of this, I can't go back into the
> >control panel to change whatever option I messed up! I tried to do a system
> >restore to get back my original options, but I can't see the options on it
> >either! Please tell me how to get my options back. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!
>

> Hi Berrybest1
>
> Right-click the Desktop and choose Properties by pressing R, then Enter.
>
> The Display Properties dialog will open on the Themes tab, and the Theme
> drop-down box with the names of the themes should have focus. Now use
> your "down arrow" key (cursor key) to go through the list of themes and
> watch what is happening in the preview box.
>
> Stop when you get to the plain blue Windows XP or Windows Classic
> themes, whichever you prefer, and press Alt-A to Apply. Hopefully then
> you should be able to see what you're doing :-) and can tweak the theme
> until you have it how you like it.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> --
> Nightowl

Related resources
September 19, 2005 5:20:48 AM

berryone <berryone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>Thanks Nightowl, but I can't see the drop-down menu that comes up when you
>right-click on desktop. If I just click where I think it is, I get the same
>black box that I get in the control panel! What a PAIN

Hi, yes, I know, that's why I said, after right-clicking, just press R
on your keyboard, then Enter, and that should open the Display Settings
box for you.

--
Nightowl
September 19, 2005 5:27:01 AM

berryone <berryone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep 2005:

>If I just click where I think it is, I get the same
>black box that I get in the control panel! What a PAIN
>--

Sorry BB1, more thoughts. . . if after right-clicking and pressing R
then Enter, the box that comes up is black, then you might not be able
to see what is happening in the preview window as I suggested?

Try this instead:

When the box opens (I realise you can't see any of this, you'll have to
do it "blind") type "Windows" (without the quotes), then press Alt-A to
apply.

Depending on the number of themes you have on your setup, that should
have selected either the basic Windows XP or Windows Classic theme and
applied it. Now can you see anything?

--
Nightowl
September 19, 2005 7:43:39 AM

In news:t6Au1nSVXgLDFwIn@black.hole,
Nightowl <owl@[127.0.0.1]> had this to say:

> berryone <berryone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep
> 2005:
>
>> If I just click where I think it is, I get the same
>> black box that I get in the control panel! What a PAIN
>> --
>
> Sorry BB1, more thoughts. . . if after right-clicking and pressing R
> then Enter, the box that comes up is black, then you might not be able
> to see what is happening in the preview window as I suggested?
>
> Try this instead:
>
> When the box opens (I realise you can't see any of this, you'll have
> to do it "blind") type "Windows" (without the quotes), then press
> Alt-A to apply.
>
> Depending on the number of themes you have on your setup, that should
> have selected either the basic Windows XP or Windows Classic theme and
> applied it. Now can you see anything?

One more suggestion... How about logging in via safe mode and fixing it in
the default resolution?

Safe Mode :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 20, 2012 8:15:31 PM

Hi Galen,

I messed up when i was trying to change the theme. I ended with a black background and when i right click its all dark and no menus in the taskbar.

I google search for 3 hours looking for some possible solution, Im losing hope till I came across this site. Your solution is great and I owe you the credit.

Thank you so much.

Irma
May 21, 2012 10:44:55 AM

It's great that this helped you, but as it was posted 7 years ago I have a feeling that Galen won't see the reply ;)
!