USB 2.0 Upgrading

September 18, 2005 7:28:01 PM

Hi All
I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to upgrade to USB 2.0
and if so how. Thanks in advance.
OS Windows XP Home Ed.
Dell Inspiron 4000.

More about : usb upgrading

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:44:35 PM

In news:EB093C99-92CD-45B2-BBD4-F9F4D1906C1B@microsoft.com,
Franktee <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi All
> I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to
> upgrade to
> USB 2.0 and if so how. Thanks in advance.
> OS Windows XP Home Ed.
> Dell Inspiron 4000.

The difference between USB1 and USB2 is a hardware difference,
not a Windows one. You can't change the existing USB ports on
your motherboard without changing the motherboard, but you can
buy an adaptor card with additional USB2 ports.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:45:22 PM

About $20 - $25 will get you a 4 or 5 port USB 2.0 PCI expansion card. Open
the computer, plug it in and close up the computer.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Franktee" <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to upgrade to USB
> 2.0
> and if so how. Thanks in advance.
> OS Windows XP Home Ed.
> Dell Inspiron 4000.
September 19, 2005 5:30:37 PM

Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.

Don Schmidt wrote:

> About $20 - $25 will get you a 4 or 5 port USB 2.0 PCI expansion card. Open
> the computer, plug it in and close up the computer.

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:30:54 PM

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:EB093C99-92CD-45B2-BBD4-F9F4D1906C1B@microsoft.com,
> Franktee <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>

>>Hi All
>>I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to
>>upgrade to
>>USB 2.0 and if so how. Thanks in advance.
>>OS Windows XP Home Ed.
>>Dell Inspiron 4000.
>

> The difference between USB1 and USB2 is a hardware difference,
> not a Windows one. You can't change the existing USB ports on
> your motherboard without changing the motherboard, but you can
> buy an adaptor card with additional USB2 ports.

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:30:55 PM

In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:

> Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.

Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> In news:EB093C99-92CD-45B2-BBD4-F9F4D1906C1B@microsoft.com,
>> Franktee <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>

>>> Hi All
>>> I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to
>>> upgrade to
>>> USB 2.0 and if so how. Thanks in advance.
>>> OS Windows XP Home Ed.
>>> Dell Inspiron 4000.
>>

>> The difference between USB1 and USB2 is a hardware difference,
>> not a Windows one. You can't change the existing USB ports on
>> your motherboard without changing the motherboard, but you can
>> buy an adaptor card with additional USB2 ports.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:33:47 PM

Replace the Laptop with a updated model or buy ine of these

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10131.html

Franktee wrote:

> Hi All
> I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to upgrade to USB 2.0
> and if so how. Thanks in advance.
> OS Windows XP Home Ed.
> Dell Inspiron 4000.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:31:34 PM

Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as "PCI
adapter card" Sorry.

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:
>

>>Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.
>

> Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:31:35 PM

In news:eDJufEVvFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:

> Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as
> "PCI
> adapter card" Sorry.

OK, not a problem.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:
>>

>>> Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.
>>

>> Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:58:28 PM

It's PCMCIA card. PCI card are for normal desktop/tower PCs.

> Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as "PCI adapter
> card" Sorry.
>
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:
>>

>>>Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.
>>

>> Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:21:21 PM

Yes, "PCMCIA" is what the link I posted for the OP lists.

!