USB 2.0 Upgrading

Hi All
I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to upgrade to USB 2.0
and if so how. Thanks in advance.
OS Windows XP Home Ed.
Dell Inspiron 4000.
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading

    In news:EB093C99-92CD-45B2-BBD4-F9F4D1906C1B@microsoft.com,
    Franktee <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi All
    > I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to
    > upgrade to
    > USB 2.0 and if so how. Thanks in advance.
    > OS Windows XP Home Ed.
    > Dell Inspiron 4000.

    The difference between USB1 and USB2 is a hardware difference,
    not a Windows one. You can't change the existing USB ports on
    your motherboard without changing the motherboard, but you can
    buy an adaptor card with additional USB2 ports.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    About $20 - $25 will get you a 4 or 5 port USB 2.0 PCI expansion card. Open
    the computer, plug it in and close up the computer.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Franktee" <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to upgrade to USB
    > 2.0
    > and if so how. Thanks in advance.
    > OS Windows XP Home Ed.
    > Dell Inspiron 4000.

    Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.

    In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:

    > Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.

    Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >
    >> In news:EB093C99-92CD-45B2-BBD4-F9F4D1906C1B@microsoft.com,
    >> Franktee <Franktee@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>

    >>> Hi All
    >>> I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to
    >>> upgrade to
    >>> USB 2.0 and if so how. Thanks in advance.
    >>> OS Windows XP Home Ed.
    >>> Dell Inspiron 4000.
    >>

    >> The difference between USB1 and USB2 is a hardware difference,
    >> not a Windows one. You can't change the existing USB ports on
    >> your motherboard without changing the motherboard, but you can
    >> buy an adaptor card with additional USB2 ports.

    Replace the Laptop with a updated model or buy ine of these

    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10131.html

    Franktee wrote:

    > Hi All
    > I presently have USB 1 installed. Would it be possible to upgrade to USB 2.0
    > and if so how. Thanks in advance.
    > OS Windows XP Home Ed.
    > Dell Inspiron 4000.

    Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as "PCI
    adapter card" Sorry.

    In news:eDJufEVvFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:

    > Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as
    > "PCI
    > adapter card" Sorry.

    OK, not a problem.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >
    >> In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:
    >>

    >>> Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.
    >>

    >> Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

    It's PCMCIA card. PCI card are for normal desktop/tower PCs.

    > Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as "PCI adapter
    > card" Sorry.
    >
    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >
    >> In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:
    >>

    >>>Inspirion is a Laptop, so that won't quite work.
    >>

    >> Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

    Yes, "PCMCIA" is what the link I posted for the OP lists.

    Yves Leclerc wrote:

    > It's PCMCIA card. PCI card are for normal desktop/tower PCs.
    >

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yes, that is what I suggested to OP. I read your response as "PCI adapter
    >>card" Sorry.
    >>
    >>Ken Blake wrote:
    >>

    >>>In news:ug4amiUvFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >>>Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> typed:

    >>>Sure it will. There are also PCMIA USB2 cards for laptops.

Dell Inspiron USB Microsoft Windows XP