Recover console and Repair install

I want to do a repair install of XP Pro. I just think that the problem I am
having with the system may lie in some botched system settings/services that
I changed using the advice from Blackviper.com.

Anyway, I have seen a number of posts here regarding such, I see reference
to recovery and to repair. I want to be perfectly clear as to what I want
so as to get an answer that addresses MY situation. I don't want to recover
to any "state" that was previously present on my system.
I want to repair my XP Pro installation, but I want to retain my current
data.

What is the correct procedure for this?

set your BIOS to boot from the CD
boot the computer with the XP CD in the drive
Press ENTER (do not press r which begins the Recovery
Console which is a command prompt interface used to fix
simple problems.)
Select install, select the current partition and then format
and install.

some support

"GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message

| I want to do a repair install of XP Pro. I just think
that the problem I am
| having with the system may lie in some botched system
settings/services that
| I changed using the advice from Blackviper.com.
|
| Anyway, I have seen a number of posts here regarding such,
I see reference
| to recovery and to repair. I want to be perfectly clear
as to what I want
| so as to get an answer that addresses MY situation. I
don't want to recover
| to any "state" that was previously present on my system.
| I want to repair my XP Pro installation, but I want to
retain my current
| data.
|
| What is the correct procedure for this?

If you have SP2 installed (and you should), then you'll need an installation CD
containing SP2 or an updated CD slipstreamed with SP2. See this article for
detailed info:

Do not do the format and install recommended by others since this will remove
all of your data also.

"Snarky Parker" <sparker9@att.net> wrote in message
> If you have SP2 installed (and you should), then you'll need an
installation CD
> containing SP2 or an updated CD slipstreamed with SP2. See this article
for
> detailed info:

Thank you for ther replies.

I do not yet have SP2, i thought i would run a repair first, then install
SP2
Do i still follow the same link?

> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> Do not do the format and install recommended by others since this will
remove
> all of your data also.
>
> "GotBonus?" <GotBonus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I want to do a repair install of XP Pro. I just think that the problem
I am
> > having with the system may lie in some botched system settings/services
that
> > I changed using the advice from Blackviper.com.
> >
> > Anyway, I have seen a number of posts here regarding such, I see
reference
> > to recovery and to repair. I want to be perfectly clear as to what I
want
> > so as to get an answer that addresses MY situation. I don't want to
recover
> > to any "state" that was previously present on my system.
> > I want to repair my XP Pro installation, but I want to retain my current
> > data.
> >
> > What is the correct procedure for this?

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:29:26 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>set your BIOS to boot from the CD

Correct

>boot the computer with the XP CD in the drive

Correct

>Press ENTER (do not press r which begins the Recovery

Still doing good

>Console which is a command prompt interface used to fix
>simple problems.)

It can be used for more than simple problems, but again you are
correct in saying that the OP doesn't want to access the Recovery
Console

>Select install, select the current partition and then format
>and install.

WRONG.

The OP wants to retain their data/settings. If they Format/Install,
all that stuff will be gone.

They want to select the existing installation, then choose the option
to Repair it. No formatting is involved.

Hey. I'm not perfect, missed it by THAT much!

some support

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
| On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:29:26 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
|
| >set your BIOS to boot from the CD
|
| Correct
|
| >boot the computer with the XP CD in the drive
|
| Correct
|
| >Press ENTER (do not press r which begins the Recovery
|
| Still doing good
|
| >Console which is a command prompt interface used to fix
| >simple problems.)
|
| It can be used for more than simple problems, but again
you are
| correct in saying that the OP doesn't want to access the
Recovery
| Console
|
| >Select install, select the current partition and then
format
| >and install.
|
| WRONG.
|
| The OP wants to retain their data/settings. If they
Format/Install,
| all that stuff will be gone.
|
| They want to select the existing installation, then choose
the option
| to Repair it. No formatting is involved.

Yes, you should use the same procedure. I only mentioned the SP2 issue since
many users update to it and it's not part of their original CD. The repair
procedure would stop in its early stage since this condition causes an error
message relating to a later version being already installed.

Note that this reinstallation procedure could cause some loss of data so be sure
to familiarize yourself with the F.A.S.T. utility and make a backup of your data
and settings. This subject is also covered in detail in other links on the
referenced page.

After you are successful at returning your system to a stable state, you should
consider a 3rd party backup utility like Acronis True Image. This utility will
make an image of your HDD that can be quickly and easily restored. This image
contains all software (OS & apps), settings and data that exist on your HDD. It
can also be used to restore files and folders if needed.

> Yes, you should use the same procedure. I only mentioned the SP2 issue
since
> many users update to it and it's not part of their original CD. The repair
> procedure would stop in its early stage since this condition causes an
error
> message relating to a later version being already installed.
>
> Note that this reinstallation procedure could cause some loss of data so
be sure
> to familiarize yourself with the F.A.S.T. utility and make a backup of
your data
> and settings. This subject is also covered in detail in other links on the
> referenced page.
>
> After you are successful at returning your system to a stable state, you
should
> consider a 3rd party backup utility like Acronis True Image. This utility
will
> make an image of your HDD that can be quickly and easily restored. This
image
> contains all software (OS & apps), settings and data that exist on your
HDD. It
> can also be used to restore files and folders if needed.

Thank you.