Why should I buy memory elsewhere for my new 8300?

Hi all, first time poster here. I've been reading through the excellent
recommendations many of you make via the Google archives and have a
question re. memory for a Dimension 8300 I'm considering.

Most of the recs seem to say buy as little memory as possible from Dell
and then buy what you really want from someplace like Crucial because
it's cheaper.

I want 1 GB of memory. From the Dell stores (both SB and Home) it seems
I can upgrade from 256 MB to 1 GB for all of $150. Crucial wants 2 x
$99 for the 512 MB modules (which need to be installed in pairs).
Disregarding the extra 256 MB I would have if I went this route, how
exactly is $198 cheaper than Dell's $150 price for a gigabyte of system RAM?

Is the current Dell pricing a relatively recent bargain, or am I missing
something? Thanks.

--
bp

You're just seeing the benefit of a Dell 'special offer'. Isn't always
there. Jump on it.
"Bruce Palmer" <bp201@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hi all, first time poster here. I've been reading through the excellent
> recommendations many of you make via the Google archives and have a
> question re. memory for a Dimension 8300 I'm considering.
>
> Most of the recs seem to say buy as little memory as possible from Dell
> and then buy what you really want from someplace like Crucial because
> it's cheaper.
>
> I want 1 GB of memory. From the Dell stores (both SB and Home) it seems
> I can upgrade from 256 MB to 1 GB for all of $150. Crucial wants 2 x
> $99 for the 512 MB modules (which need to be installed in pairs).
> Disregarding the extra 256 MB I would have if I went this route, how
> exactly is $198 cheaper than Dell's $150 price for a gigabyte of system
RAM?

> Is the current Dell pricing a relatively recent bargain, or am I missing
> something? Thanks.
>
> --
> bp

You need to compare apples with apples. Does the Dell-branded memory you are
looking at have the identical characteristics as the Crucial memory?
Remember also that you can only buy memory that is compatible with your
computer.

Rocky

"Bruce Palmer" <bp201@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hi all, first time poster here. I've been reading through the excellent
> recommendations many of you make via the Google archives and have a
> question re. memory for a Dimension 8300 I'm considering.
>
> Most of the recs seem to say buy as little memory as possible from Dell
> and then buy what you really want from someplace like Crucial because
> it's cheaper.
>
> I want 1 GB of memory. From the Dell stores (both SB and Home) it seems
> I can upgrade from 256 MB to 1 GB for all of $150. Crucial wants 2 x
> $99 for the 512 MB modules (which need to be installed in pairs).
> Disregarding the extra 256 MB I would have if I went this route, how
> exactly is $198 cheaper than Dell's $150 price for a gigabyte of system
RAM?

> Is the current Dell pricing a relatively recent bargain, or am I missing
> something? Thanks.
>
> --
> bp

Isn't the 256MB worth the $48 difference? Also if
you wait a week Dell may offer something else
as their special of the week, such as LCD monitors, shipping etc.
All in all it seems like a wash in this case, so I'd wait, because
Crucial's deal
will still be there, but Dell's won't.

Tom Scales wrote:
> You're just seeing the benefit of a Dell 'special offer'. Isn't always
> there. Jump on it.

Gotcah. Thanks. Right now I'm stuck in the loop of should I wait for a
better deal or not. Right now I'm leaning towards waiting a bit longer.
Ask me later on tonight and I'll probably have changed my mind. Again.

FWIW I've bought Crucial memory for some of my older Dells in the past
and have never had a problem. Memory prices seem to have gone up a bit
over the last 6 months but seem now to have levelled off. Is there a
price drop in the near future? Who knows? I certainly wish I did!

--
bp

Pen wrote:
> Isn't the 256MB worth the $48 difference? Also if
> you wait a week Dell may offer something else
> as their special of the week, such as LCD monitors, shipping etc.
> All in all it seems like a wash in this case, so I'd wait, because
> Crucial's deal
> will still be there, but Dell's won't.

I guess the 256 MB is definitely worth the $48 difference. The issue
though is that I don't necessarily _want_ 1.25 GB of RAM; only 1 GB. So
the extra $48 would be spent for something I don't really want nor need
no matter how good of a deal it is. On the other hand, I can't
configure _exactly_ the system I want through Dell's website anyway so
I'm going to end up with some things I don't want regardless.

Thanks for your response.

--
bp

Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:
> You need to compare apples with apples. Does the Dell-branded memory you are
> looking at have the identical characteristics as the Crucial memory?

Yes.

> Remember also that you can only buy memory that is compatible with your
> computer.

I've never bought any memory that wasn't compatable with the computers I
needed it for.

--
bp

> You're just seeing the benefit of a Dell 'special offer'. Isn't always
> there. Jump on it.

Yeah, seems that way.

On the UK Home site, to jump from 512mb to 1024mb, Dell want £129 ($229) and
to jump from 512mb to 2048mb they want £317 ($560).

In the end I bought 4 x 512mb sticks from Crucial for £266 (£51 cheaper than
Dell) and sold the 2 x 256mb already in my system for £50 on eBay.

Net cost of 2gb to me - £216.

As Tom says, grab it while it's there.

"parity" is more expensive than non-parity. Is that the difference?? I
always buy from Crucial. Especially search for specials