my second hard drive is now unknown device

Ok heres my problem yesterday i went and got a new fan for my dell
dimension 8200 from compusa.

upon putting everything back together my computer can no longer see my
second harddrive it can see "0" so my computer will boot up but it
can't see "1" it says "unknown device".

so i boot up my comp and it can't see my other harddrive.

i've tried the ide cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I switched the drives on the cable and when i switch them it can see
teh larger one but of course it can't boot because of the lack of an
operating system.

what's wrong? HELP!

You didn't say whether you added a fan or replaced a fan. (No third party
CPU fan is completely compatible with a Dell motherboard.) In any case, when
you remove the fan, or replace it with the old fan, does your system
function normally?

Rocky

"MArk Ronald" <hmni@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Ok heres my problem yesterday i went and got a new fan for my dell
> dimension 8200 from compusa.
>
> upon putting everything back together my computer can no longer see my
> second harddrive it can see "0" so my computer will boot up but it
> can't see "1" it says "unknown device".
>
> so i boot up my comp and it can't see my other harddrive.
>
> i've tried the ide cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
>
> I switched the drives on the cable and when i switch them it can see
> teh larger one but of course it can't boot because of the lack of an
> operating system.
>
> what's wrong? HELP!

Joeyz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002

But I thought Dell doesn't use propriety parts? Is there a list of all the
proprietary items?

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> You didn't say whether you added a fan or replaced a fan. (No third party
> CPU fan is completely compatible with a Dell motherboard.) In any case,
when
> you remove the fan, or replace it with the old fan, does your system
> function normally?
>
> Rocky
>
> "MArk Ronald" <hmni@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Ok heres my problem yesterday i went and got a new fan for my dell
> > dimension 8200 from compusa.
> >
> > upon putting everything back together my computer can no longer see my
> > second harddrive it can see "0" so my computer will boot up but it
> > can't see "1" it says "unknown device".
> >
> > so i boot up my comp and it can't see my other harddrive.
> >
> > i've tried the ide cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
> >
> > I switched the drives on the cable and when i switch them it can see
> > teh larger one but of course it can't boot because of the lack of an
> > operating system.
> >
> > what's wrong? HELP!

rs

A lousy fan is proprietary? Sheesh. That takes the cake. It spins, thats all
it does. Just spins.

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> You didn't say whether you added a fan or replaced a fan. (No third party
> CPU fan is completely compatible with a Dell motherboard.) In any case,
when
> you remove the fan, or replace it with the old fan, does your system
> function normally?
>
> Rocky
>
> "MArk Ronald" <hmni@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Ok heres my problem yesterday i went and got a new fan for my dell
> > dimension 8200 from compusa.
> >
> > upon putting everything back together my computer can no longer see my
> > second harddrive it can see "0" so my computer will boot up but it
> > can't see "1" it says "unknown device".
> >
> > so i boot up my comp and it can't see my other harddrive.
> >
> > i've tried the ide cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
> >
> > I switched the drives on the cable and when i switch them it can see
> > teh larger one but of course it can't boot because of the lack of an
> > operating system.
> >
> > what's wrong? HELP!

i replaced the fan.....

but i put back the old fan when teh problem surfaced but that didn't help.

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<764291335672dfb6694063b71b03abee@news.teranews.com>...
> You didn't say whether you added a fan or replaced a fan. (No third party
> CPU fan is completely compatible with a Dell motherboard.) In any case, when
> you remove the fan, or replace it with the old fan, does your system
> function normally?
>
> Rocky
>
> "MArk Ronald" <hmni@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Ok heres my problem yesterday i went and got a new fan for my dell
> > dimension 8200 from compusa.
> >
> > upon putting everything back together my computer can no longer see my
> > second harddrive it can see "0" so my computer will boot up but it
> > can't see "1" it says "unknown device".
> >
> > so i boot up my comp and it can't see my other harddrive.
> >
> > i've tried the ide cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
> >
> > I switched the drives on the cable and when i switch them it can see
> > teh larger one but of course it can't boot because of the lack of an
> > operating system.
> >
> > what's wrong? HELP!

Dell's motherboards, power supplies and CPU fans are proprietary. I know
that other parts are proprietary (for example, the connection between
certain sound cards and the front panel headphone jack) but I am not
personally aware of a complete list. I would not be surprised if others have
compiled a more or less complete list. A compatible power supply can be
purchased from PC Power and Cooling, and perhaps others, but be prepared to
pay for it.

The particular error that you spoke of in your original post is not
characteristic - so far as I know - of using a non-proprietary CPU fan. That
usually causes a POST error telling you that the fan is not functioning. My
suggestion to remove the fan is simply a low tech approach to the problem.
It will tell you if the fan is the source of the problem.

Rocky

"joeyz" <joeyz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But I thought Dell doesn't use propriety parts? Is there a list of all
the
> proprietary items?
>

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> > You didn't say whether you added a fan or replaced a fan. (No third
party
> > CPU fan is completely compatible with a Dell motherboard.) In any case,
> when
> > you remove the fan, or replace it with the old fan, does your system
> > function normally?
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "MArk Ronald" <hmni@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > Ok heres my problem yesterday i went and got a new fan for my dell
> > > dimension 8200 from compusa.
> > >
> > > upon putting everything back together my computer can no longer see my
> > > second harddrive it can see "0" so my computer will boot up but it
> > > can't see "1" it says "unknown device".
> > >
> > > so i boot up my comp and it can't see my other harddrive.
> > >
> > > i've tried the ide cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
> > >
> > > I switched the drives on the cable and when i switch them it can see
> > > teh larger one but of course it can't boot because of the lack of an
> > > operating system.
> > >
> > > what's wrong? HELP!

did you possibly remove the power lead from the drive in order to connect
this new fan and forget to reconnect it?

ps. late model dells do *not* have proprietary power supplies. the
motherboard/case have proprietary power button connectors, and the case has
a unique shroud that eliminates the need for a processor fan mounted on the
cpu which makes the system much quieter than others... but you could add a
noisy cpu fan or any other sort of fan that you desire...

>i replaced the fan.....
>

> but i put back the old fan when teh problem surfaced but that didn't help.

<snip>

The fan replacement has nothing to do with the second hard drive pulling an
Elvis.

Unplug the box once more and double check the ribbon and power connection
cables to the second drive. Also be sure that the jumper is in place and
secure.

Close the case, plug up and power up, then go into BIOS (F2). Arrow down to
the second drive ( IDE 1 Drive 1) and be sure that it's either set to "auto"
or "on".

Then press ALT+F to default the BIOS settings, then ESC and enter (to save
the changes and exit). This should force IDE re-detection immediately upon
exiting BIOS.

The drive should show up. If not a pin is bent, the ribbon cable is damaged,
or the drive coincidentally died when you changed the fan.

Good luck.

Stew

TRENDING THREADS