What is SP2 firewall? Is it all right to run more than one firewall?

TIA

B.W.

SP2 Firewall is also known as Windows Firewall. It is quite alright to run more than one firewall as long as the second/other firewall(s) is/are hardware based and not any software based. I have found Windows Firewall quite adequate for my needs and I also have router based firewall which can be configured to your likings.

Hope this helps.

"B.W." wrote:

> What is SP2 firewall? Is it all right to run more than one firewall?
>
> TIA
>
> B.W.

Malke

drop the xx wrote:

> What is SP2 firewall? Is it all right to run more than one firewall?
>
> TIA
>
> B.W.

Understanding Windows Firewall -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

No, don't run more than one firewall. Either use the Windows Firewall if
you have SP2 or a third-party one, but not both.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

In news:%23NEkFsKvFHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
B.W. <bwaller@norex.com.auxx (drop the xx)> typed:

> What is SP2 firewall?

It's the upgraded firewall that comes with SP2.

> Is it all right to run more than one firewall?

You'll find those with different points on view on this. Here's
mine: don't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection,
you incur the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you
run the risk (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between
them.
See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx

which includes the following:

"Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

"A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
can provide substantial protection for your computer."

Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
third-party firewall.

The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Sunday 18 September 2005 05:30 pm, ANONYMOUS had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> SP2 Firewall is also known as Windows Firewall. It is quite alright to
> run more than one firewall as long as the second/other firewall(s) is/are
> hardware based and not any software based. I have found Windows Firewall
> quite adequate for my needs and I also have router based firewall which
> can be configured to your likings.
>
> Hope this helps.

Could you explain to me why one would need to block a particular port twice
- once at a hardware firewall and then again on a software firewall? Is the
software one used to block the port(s) within your LAN to offer some sort
of security from other computers on your LAN?

--
Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run E17

-rwxrw-r-- wrote:
> Could you explain to me why one would need to block a particular port twice
> - once at a hardware firewall and then again on a software firewall? Is the
> software one used to block the port(s) within your LAN to offer some sort
> of security from other computers on your LAN?

Once scenario: with the port blocked only at the router, any PC that's
on the LAN has access to the ports of the other systems on the LAN.

But, if you also block the ports at the f/w on each PC, you have better
LAN segmentation.

This is especially important if you have wireless enabled and are
running anything less secure than WPA. It's not that hard for someone to
simply pay a visit to your LAN via your WAP.