USB types, Windows XP, Device Manager

I was told my computer as two usb2.0 ports in the front and two UCB1.1
ports in the back. I went to Device Manager under USB and it said:

Intel....USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

Then there are three that say:

Intel....USB Universal Host Controller

Then there are four that say:

USB Root Hub.

I've used both the front ports and they seem okay. I can't tell if
it's faster or slower than it's supposed to be.
3 answers Last reply
More about types windows device manager

    Well the Device Manager listed only one thing with "2.0 Enhanced" in it
    and the others, just USB - so I may have one USB2.0 port and three
    USB1.1 ports - does anyone know?

    I've only used them for still cameras but I'd like to know anyway.

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > I was told my computer as two usb2.0 ports in the front and two UCB1.1
    > ports in the back. I went to Device Manager under USB and it said:
    >
    > Intel....USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    >
    > Then there are three that say:
    >
    > Intel....USB Universal Host Controller
    >
    > Then there are four that say:
    >
    > USB Root Hub.
    >
    > I've used both the front ports and they seem okay. I can't tell if
    > it's faster or slower than it's supposed to be.

    Got some large files on an external drive? Large being in excess of 1GB?

    If so, copy them with the drive first plugged into one set, then the other..
    If no difference - then you have all the same type and can live with that.
    =)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    There is no direct relationship bewtween what is seen under Device
    Manager and the physical ports. There is some sort of dynamic
    reconfiguration done according to which device is plugged in to a given
    port at any given time.

    Typically (assuming the machine has USB2 capability), any port can act
    as a USB2 or USB1 port, according to the device plugged in. Also, it is
    possible to have more physical ports than the number of entries listed
    in Device Manager. You shouldn't be concerned.

    ---
    No question is difficult if you know the answer.

Device Manager USB Windows XP