Sign in with
Your question

Odds & Ends

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2004 6:32:28 PM

So, okay...

First, thank you to P4Man for his advice in another thread.

Now, I'm about to order the stuff for a new computer. I've never built one myself, though, so I'm wondering if there are any odd little bits I need to make this happen (e.g. cables, power cords, rosary beads)? Or are there any truly egregious oversights you see? Here's what I'm ordering:

Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R
Mushkin 1GB (2x512) DDR PC-3500 Level One
PowerColor ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
AOpen case (model A600A)

The case includes a 350W power supply. Is that sufficient?

I'm not planning to OC. Does anyone see any huge errors or ommissions in this lineup? And do these components usually come with all the little stuff they need to be hooked up? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never done this myself before. (By the way, I'm just going to use the CD/DVD drives from my current computer, rather than buy new ones.)

More about : odds ends

May 21, 2004 8:51:03 PM

350W sounds on the low side...you may want to get a bigger (say around 450W) power supply, for any furute upgrades :smile:

Other than that, the motherboard usually comes with all the required cables. The only thing thats not in your list is a floppy drive. But that can be lived without I think.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4
May 21, 2004 8:54:16 PM

If you're not overclocking, then i don't see why you want PC3500 memory, get PC3200 if you're not overclocking.

The MSI mobo comes with an 80pin IDE cable, a 40pin IDE cable, a floppy cable, and 2xSATA cables. That's enough for the stuff you want.

I would actually recommend 2x36G Raptor HDDs and put them on raid0.

I personally don't trust generic power supplies, i would recommend an Enermax/Antec power supply in the 350watt range.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view..." target="_new">My PC</A>
Related resources
May 21, 2004 9:22:00 PM

>Athlon 64 3200+

Nice.

>MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R

Hmm.. havent seen any reviews of this particular board, so I can't comment.

>Mushkin 1GB (2x512) DDR PC-3500 Level One

Slight overkill if you're not going to overclock, but if the price premium over PC3200 isnt big, it could be worth it for a future upgrade. You may want to check on the MSI site if they validated this type of memory.

>PowerColor ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128MB

I have had some bad experience with Powercolor, but that was some years ago (GF2 Pro). terrible image quality, crappy cooler. Don't know how their current cards are, but back then, they where crap.

>Western Digital Raptor 74GB

Sweet.. pricey though. Same money buys you 2 maxtor 160 GB drives with 8MB and enough cash for a quite a few beers :) . I would either get two such drives in RAID 0, or 2 raptors in raid, but just one raptor seems like a bit of a waste of money.

>The case includes a 350W power supply. Is that sufficient?

Its worth trying. The 350W figure doesnt tell you a whole lot. It may or may not work (especially for the videocard). If the system doesnt boot, or is unstable, you know where to look first. Aopen usually come with decent quality PSU's, though not as good as Enermax and the like.

If you're getting a boxed CPU, you'll have everything you need (except the screwdriver :) . If you buy an oem cpu, you'll need a cooler.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2004 3:18:28 AM

I'd pass on the K8T and get the K8N instead.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 22, 2004 6:55:58 AM

I disagree with Crashman, since he doesn't plan to OC or anything. A via chipset is more than stable enough for a sane home application. But, that's just my opinion...

Personally, 350w with a raptor seems like a bad idea. I would go with a 400w or 450w. 10k RPM doesn't come cheap.

I'd also have to disagree about the 2x 36gb raptors/raid0.
I read a review that suggested the 36gb raptors were slated toward servers (in the firmware), while the newer 74gb raptors were fine-tuned for desktop applications and definately yielded a performance boost ALONE over 2x36gb raptors in raid0.

I am curious though, why would 1 74gb raptor be a waste?

Personally, I toyed the idea of 1 74gb raptor for OS & applications, and a WB120gb/8mb cache SATA drive for file storage. How would that do?

Other than the power supply, I can only see that you're missing removable storage drives (CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, etc etc) and the other essentials (keyboard, mouse, monitor) which I am assuming you already have. Oh yeah, the sound card too, but I'm also assuming that's built into the mobo as well, ditto with the Ethernet controller.

Also, when you kick up the power supply, look for a dual fan one... and if the case doesn't already come with some, pick up a couple case fans and strap them in too.

Good luck! :) 
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2004 7:30:05 AM

I'd still go with the nForce3 250 because it's better in every way possible than the K8T800.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 22, 2004 9:16:33 AM

>I am curious though, why would 1 74gb raptor be a waste?

Because I'd think 2x 160 GB 8 MB drives in raid would be pretty much just as fast, and 4x as big for less money. I haven't seen any benchmarks though, so i could be wrong.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
May 22, 2004 9:21:07 AM

>I'd still go with the nForce3 250 because it's better in
>every way possible than the K8T800.

Which is not a whole lot, especially if you do not want to overclock :)  And its not cheaper, and its not as proven yet (oh the irony!). And it barely performs better (if at all).

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2004 9:38:13 AM

And I bet I haven't told you about the thousands of dollars in service hours VIA has cost me, have I? I don't care HOW many years ago it was, they denied everything and made me look bad back then. Cost me a couple customers too.

Now, if they were to write me a big fat check for all those hours, I might forgive them. And if they, like Intel, SiS, and even AMD, published proper erratta and notifications for all the industry to see, I might be a little more comfortable with them.

At least SiS apologized for THEIR problems. Even Intel has always published workarounds. You know, the company with the pride problem? Funny how those chipset workarounds nearly always make it into BIOS before I have a chance to see the problem.

May 23, 2004 7:35:53 AM

Crashman, I understand where you're coming from and it's hard to say that I can disagree with you on that basis. Personally I wouldn't but VIA chipsets anymore either, but I thought in his case the extra cash for things he doesn't need or want, necessairily, would be a bonus. But I do understand what you are saying.

P4Man, I've seen some benchmarks and it does appear that the raptors (the 74gb ones) have some very impressive performance. The only thing was, they use two of them in a raid0, but with 128bit blocks - a little impractical for most users.

Over all though, it appears that the 74gb raptors are topping high end SCSI drives, in both sequential and random access thoroughput.

I could just be reading biased reviews though :p 
May 23, 2004 9:54:43 AM

>I've seen some benchmarks and it does appear that the
>raptors (the 74gb ones) have some very impressive
>performance.

No one is going to argue that; these disks ARE extremely fast. Question is: is a single raptor faster than a pair of 8 Meg drives in RAID 0 ? They could be, I'm not sure, but I *am* sure the single raptor is a lot more expensive or only a quarter of the capacity for the same money as a pair of 7200 drives.

May 23, 2004 10:12:30 AM

have a look <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/print/wd-rapto..." target="_new"> here </A>

They test the 36 GB version, but the overall picture should be compareble I think: 2x7200 disks in RAID are about as fast or even faster than a single raptor, while cheaper and offering a lot more capacity..

Now if you'd buy two raptors and put them in raid, there won't be a cheaper alternative, and it will be wickedly fast, but at a price obviously...

!