"Shared Music" folder is now "My Music"

My "Shared Music" folder has lost its musical note icon and become "My
Music." It still contains the "Shared Music" items, but it looks like a
generic folder icon. Trying to change the name returns an error that it's a
system folder. How can I restore the "Shared Music" name and icon?

--
Michael

Michael,

Make sure that there is a Desktop.ini file in the shared Music folder, with
the following contents:

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12689
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=-237
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-28995

If missing, create one with the above contents and set the Hidden attribute
to the file.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Michael Ray Brown" <velcrofaceNoSpam@yahooNoSpam.com> wrote in message
> My "Shared Music" folder has lost its musical note icon and become "My
> Music." It still contains the "Shared Music" items, but it looks like a
> generic folder icon. Trying to change the name returns an error that it's
> a system folder. How can I restore the "Shared Music" name and icon?
>
> --
> Michael

Ramesh,

The Desktop.ini file was there, but it had lots of other stuff in it. I
re-created it following your instructions, to no avail. It still shows "My
Music" with a generic icon.

--
Michael

> Michael,
>
> Make sure that there is a Desktop.ini file in the shared Music folder,
> with the following contents:
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12689
> IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
> IconIndex=-237
> LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-28995
>
> If missing, create one with the above contents and set the Hidden
> attribute to the file.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Michael,

How about the "hidden" attribute?
Also, is the Shared Music folder present in it's default location, or
redirected to some other drive?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music

--

> Ramesh,
>
> The Desktop.ini file was there, but it had lots of other stuff in it. I
> re-created it following your instructions, to no avail. It still shows
> "My Music" with a generic icon.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Michael,
>>
>> Make sure that there is a Desktop.ini file in the shared Music folder,
>> with the following contents:
>>
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12689
>> IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
>> IconIndex=-237
>> LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-28995
>>
>> If missing, create one with the above contents and set the Hidden
>> attribute to the file.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Ramesh,

Yes, it's hidden, and the folder is in its default location.

--
Michael

> Michael,
>
> How about the "hidden" attribute?
> Also, is the Shared Music folder present in it's default location, or
> redirected to some other drive?
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Michael,

Click Start, Run and type:

CMD /C Attrib +R "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music"

--

> Ramesh,
>
> Yes, it's hidden, and the folder is in its default location.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Michael,
>>
>> How about the "hidden" attribute?
>> Also, is the Shared Music folder present in it's default location, or
>> redirected to some other drive?
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Eureka! That fixed it. Thank you so much.

--
Michael

> Michael,
>
> Click Start, Run and type:
>
> CMD /C Attrib +R "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music"
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org