Netbook or Notebook? (college)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliotth

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Just built an awesome desktop because I have read that a netbook+desktop combo beats out the single laptop for college convenience.

I have around 350$ in my budget and would like to know if I should

buy an Asus EEE pc for taking notes and watching occasional videos/hulu and social networking.

Or

buy a budget notebook (like compaq's at best buy)

Suggestions on notebook or net book? If so, which netbook or notebook?

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

One of the biggest differences between a netbook and a laptop is the presence of an optical drive. If you want the option of watching DVDs on your portable computer, then go with a laptop. If you want something ultra-light and portable for simple tasks like taking notes and streaming videos (and you will be using a desktop too) a netbook is a great choice. However, the only other drawback is the smaller keyboard and screen so make sure you are comfortable with the size for extensive note-taking during class.

I hope this helps!

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hey when I was in college i had a great laptop which at the time was an IBm thinkpad with an onboard 9800radeon mobility which was good back then, but for now, I would tell you to get a netbook coz its light and versatile at the same time save up or bring your desktop and use it in your dorm or apartment.

I would suggest the HP311 netbook with an Nvidia ion, as well as an MSI wind which is what I have and it is a great netbook.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
wow i had the same exact concern
I will be going to college soon and my parents are willing to get me a somewhat decent laptop. Im starting to lean more on putting together a desktop for demanding apps and saving the laptop for when im going to go to class.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Another great option is the Toshiba Satellite T135D-S1325. It is an ultra-thin and light laptop (under 4 lbs) but it has a larger screen and keyboard. It doesn't have an optical drive, but it runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and has 4 GB RAM. Check it out here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=ae6bc7f7-3797-de11-99de-02bf9d3bf32a.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.