clean profile change / name change

I have one user with a laptop (windows xp pro). he initially signed on to the
laptop as jsmith. This was fine except the username he has at work is pjsmith
and the email address he has is pjsmith.

now he would like to have his laptop signon as pjsmith rather than jsmith.

I would like to simply create the user new (pjsmith), copy the old (jsmith)
profile to the new (pjsmith) profile and then delete the old (jsmith). I have
tested this on another machine and it doesn't work so well. Can someone
advise me on their experience with this. I'm trying to find a clean way to do
this.

thanks

Hi,

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
file structure before you do the copy procedure.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"instauratio" <instauratio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have one user with a laptop (windows xp pro). he initially signed on to
>the
> laptop as jsmith. This was fine except the username he has at work is
> pjsmith
> and the email address he has is pjsmith.
>
> now he would like to have his laptop signon as pjsmith rather than jsmith.
>
> I would like to simply create the user new (pjsmith), copy the old
> (jsmith)
> profile to the new (pjsmith) profile and then delete the old (jsmith). I
> have
> tested this on another machine and it doesn't work so well. Can someone
> advise me on their experience with this. I'm trying to find a clean way to
> do
> this.
>
> thanks

Have you tried simply to rename the user from Start, Control Panel, User Accounts?

This should do the trick unless there is something you are trying to achieve.

Hope this helps.

instauratio wrote:

> I have one user with a laptop (windows xp pro). he initially signed on to the
> laptop as jsmith. This was fine except the username he has at work is pjsmith
> and the email address he has is pjsmith.
>
> now he would like to have his laptop signon as pjsmith rather than jsmith.
>
> I would like to simply create the user new (pjsmith), copy the old (jsmith)
> profile to the new (pjsmith) profile and then delete the old (jsmith). I have
> tested this on another machine and it doesn't work so well. Can someone
> advise me on their experience with this. I'm trying to find a clean way to do
> this.
>
> thanks

I haven't tried to rename because I'm not convinced that this is safe and
that this works.

Does Work?

Is it safe?

"ANONYMOUS" wrote:

> Have you tried simply to rename the user from Start, Control Panel, User Accounts?
>
> This should do the trick unless there is something you are trying to achieve.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> instauratio wrote:
> >
> > I have one user with a laptop (windows xp pro). he initially signed on to the
> > laptop as jsmith. This was fine except the username he has at work is pjsmith
> > and the email address he has is pjsmith.
> >
> > now he would like to have his laptop signon as pjsmith rather than jsmith.
> >
> > I would like to simply create the user new (pjsmith), copy the old (jsmith)
> > profile to the new (pjsmith) profile and then delete the old (jsmith). I have
> > tested this on another machine and it doesn't work so well. Can someone
> > advise me on their experience with this. I'm trying to find a clean way to do
> > this.
> >
> > thanks

Microsoft Windows XP - Copy a user profile:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I haven't tried to rename because I'm not convinced that this is safe and
> that this works.
>
> Does Work?
>
> Is it safe?
>

> "ANONYMOUS" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried simply to rename the user from Start, Control Panel, User
>> Accounts?
>>
>> This should do the trick unless there is something you are trying to
>> achieve.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> instauratio wrote:
>> >
>> > I have one user with a laptop (windows xp pro). he initially signed on
>> > to the
>> > laptop as jsmith. This was fine except the username he has at work is
>> > pjsmith
>> > and the email address he has is pjsmith.
>> >
>> > now he would like to have his laptop signon as pjsmith rather than
>> > jsmith.
>> >
>> > I would like to simply create the user new (pjsmith), copy the old
>> > (jsmith)
>> > profile to the new (pjsmith) profile and then delete the old (jsmith).
>> > I have
>> > tested this on another machine and it doesn't work so well. Can someone
>> > advise me on their experience with this. I'm trying to find a clean way
>> > to do
>> > this.
>> >
>> > thanks

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

instauratio <instauratio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Sun, 18 Sep
2005:

>I haven't tried to rename because I'm not convinced that this is safe and
>that this works.
>
>Does Work?
>
>Is it safe?

Hi instauratio

It works and is perfectly safe, but all it does is change the logon
name. It will not change the name of the user's profile folders in
Documents and Settings, which I think is what you'd prefer.

What problems have you had when you tried copying to a new profile? I
have only done it once but it worked well for me.

--
Nightowl

dbirley

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
My problem is a bit different. I have a really cluttered up colluction of what we used to call TSRs in the days of DOS. The Windows Task Manager displays a daunting list of close to 90 Processes running. It would be nice to trim this down a lot, but I have learned to live with them all. I have an idea, however that I would like to create a second profile for this machine that is really "clean". Has only the most basic and essential components in it so that I can run programs like Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop at a nice speed.

I tried creating a new profile which I called Photoshop. I did nothing more than log in as that profile ID, and then did the three finger salute. Lo and behold, all (or at least the absolute majority) of my TSRs were still there.

So, my question is this: If I log in to the second account and go into MSConfig, then turn off everything that I deem unessential, will that only be active for the current profile, or will it also be true on my "main" profile?

Inquiring minds want to know!