Sign in with
Your question

Speakers playing very quietly

Last response: in Home Audio
July 23, 2012 12:49:04 AM

I recently discovered in my basement the remnants of a home theater system bought many years ago. I figured no one was using it now, so I might as well try to hook it up to my computer. Unfortunately, none of the cables I had worked (the input was via the wires in an RCA cable). So I ordered ~http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V0G2C4/ref=oh_deta... and cut off the jacks, and then stripped the casing off of an inch or so. I fastened them into the holes on the back of the speaker, and no sound came out. I switched them around, and very very faintly I could hear the music I was playing through the speakers (keep in mind that I had the volume up all the way). The speakers are 3" across (their are two of them) and the back doesn't have any more inputs. If I plug it into my phone, it becomes, say, three times as loud. If you want a comparison for the sound level while plugged into the phone, think about a third as loud as the speakers on any mid-high end smartphone released in the past year and a half (save the HTC Surround). So, does anyone know why it's so soft? Is their not enough power? Any help would be appreciated!
July 25, 2012 5:00:52 PM

Home speakers are generally not powered, and the sound cards in computers don't really have an amplifier.

That equals to no sound.

Get powered speakers, or connect an amp to the sound card and the speakers to the amp.
m
l
Related resources
!