DVD Burner Recomendations

Phillip

I'm looking to get a 8300 system in the next few days and had a couple
questions. The 20% off deal looks pretty good for my needs.

(1) I'm wanting a +/- DVD burner so I'm just going to get the system with a
DVD-Rom drive and then add the +/- burner. What recommendations do you have
for the DVD burner? I'd like something very realiable that cosmetically
looks matches the system and preferably comes with Nero 6. Any on-line
buyers or reviews you can point to would be most helpful.

(2) Likewise, are there any good coupons out right now that I can use on
this system? I know there is a $25 off coupon but I didn't know if there was
currently anything else that could help save a little more off the total
price. I've checked some of the coupon sites but didn't see much.

Thanks!
Phillip

NEC2500A - about $100.00 delivered from newegg.com. This is an OEM drive,
but you can find NERO OEM on eBay for maybe $20.00. My 8300 came with the
NEC 2100 so the 2500A compliments it nicely.
RJ
"Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to get a 8300 system in the next few days and had a couple
> questions. The 20% off deal looks pretty good for my needs.
>
> (1) I'm wanting a +/- DVD burner so I'm just going to get the system with
> DVD-Rom drive and then add the +/- burner. What recommendations do you
have
> for the DVD burner? I'd like something very realiable that cosmetically
> looks matches the system and preferably comes with Nero 6. Any on-line
> buyers or reviews you can point to would be most helpful.
>
> (2) Likewise, are there any good coupons out right now that I can use on
> this system? I know there is a $25 off coupon but I didn't know if there
was
> currently anything else that could help save a little more off the total
> price. I've checked some of the coupon sites but didn't see much.
>
> Thanks!
> Phillip

Phillip

> NEC2500A - about $100.00 delivered from newegg.com. This is an OEM drive,
> but you can find NERO OEM on eBay for maybe $20.00. My 8300 came with the
> NEC 2100 so the 2500A compliments it nicely.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed newegg.com has two NEC2500A's listed. Any
difference besides one comes with Roxio and the other doesn't?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-014&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-012&depa=1

Which drive do you prefer to be the master and the slave in this set up?
Also, are there any installation issues I should be aware of? This will be
my first Dell so I just want to be sure all my bases are covered.

Thanks,
Phillip

The $83.00 one (OEM Bulk) is just that - drive only. The other probably has
a cable which you don't really need. I guess I'd configure the 2500A as the
master in that it does both + and - DVD. I assume your getting the 2100A
with the Dell? That one does only +DVD so the 2500 is a bit more versitle.
You can select your burn drive from the software so in that regard it
doesn't really matter, but from a consistency standpoint I suppose the 2500
should be your number one burner.
Enjoy,
> > NEC2500A - about $100.00 delivered from newegg.com. This is an OEM
drive,
> > but you can find NERO OEM on eBay for maybe $20.00. My 8300 came with
the
> > NEC 2100 so the 2500A compliments it nicely.
>
> Thanks for the advice. I noticed newegg.com has two NEC2500A's listed. Any
> difference besides one comes with Roxio and the other doesn't?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-014&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-012&depa=1

> Which drive do you prefer to be the master and the slave in this set up?
> Also, are there any installation issues I should be aware of? This will be
> my first Dell so I just want to be sure all my bases are covered.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

Phillip

> The $83.00 one (OEM Bulk) is just that - drive only. The other probably
has
> a cable which you don't really need. I guess I'd configure the 2500A as
the
> master in that it does both + and - DVD. I assume your getting the 2100A
> with the Dell? That one does only +DVD so the 2500 is a bit more
versitle.
> You can select your burn drive from the software so in that regard it
> doesn't really matter, but from a consistency standpoint I suppose the
2500
> should be your number one burner.

Actually, I plan on just getting a basic DVD-Rom drive with the system and
then install the new NEC DVD burner myself. I still can get the cheaper one
from Newegg with this configuration, correct?

Thanks,
Phillip

Absolutely. Put the 2500 as the master, the DVD ROM as the slave, and put
them on the second IDE cable in their respective positions. Fire it up, XP
will recognize who's who and your all set.
> > The $83.00 one (OEM Bulk) is just that - drive only. The other probably
> has
> > a cable which you don't really need. I guess I'd configure the 2500A as
> the
> > master in that it does both + and - DVD. I assume your getting the
2100A
> > with the Dell? That one does only +DVD so the 2500 is a bit more
> versitle.
> > You can select your burn drive from the software so in that regard it
> > doesn't really matter, but from a consistency standpoint I suppose the
> 2500
> > should be your number one burner.
>
> Actually, I plan on just getting a basic DVD-Rom drive with the system and
> then install the new NEC DVD burner myself. I still can get the cheaper
one
> from Newegg with this configuration, correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

BigJim

the above post is what I would recommend, nec 2500, just bought one and it
works fine.
It is a 8x -/+ so you have the best of both types of media. The big thing is
the price is right.
You can get a trial version of NERO at www.dvdrwhelp.com you can use version
5.5.10.56
it works for me. If you have a key for any version of 5.5 it will make it
permanent.
"R.J. Rabenberg" <rjrabenberg@sio.midco.net> wrote in message
> NEC2500A - about $100.00 delivered from newegg.com. This is an OEM drive,
> but you can find NERO OEM on eBay for maybe $20.00. My 8300 came with the
> NEC 2100 so the 2500A compliments it nicely.
> RJ
> "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking to get a 8300 system in the next few days and had a couple
> > questions. The 20% off deal looks pretty good for my needs.
> >
> > (1) I'm wanting a +/- DVD burner so I'm just going to get the system
with
> > DVD-Rom drive and then add the +/- burner. What recommendations do you
> have
> > for the DVD burner? I'd like something very realiable that cosmetically
> > looks matches the system and preferably comes with Nero 6. Any on-line
> > buyers or reviews you can point to would be most helpful.
> >
> > (2) Likewise, are there any good coupons out right now that I can use on
> > this system? I know there is a $25 off coupon but I didn't know if there
> was
> > currently anything else that could help save a little more off the total
> > price. I've checked some of the coupon sites but didn't see much.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Phillip

Phillip

> Absolutely. Put the 2500 as the master, the DVD ROM as the slave, and put
> them on the second IDE cable in their respective positions. Fire it up,
XP
> will recognize who's who and your all set.

So in order to change the master/slave settings I will just need to change
the jumpers, correct? Or will I need to make any other changes?

Thanks,
Phillip

Not on a Dell. Cable Select for both. 2500 on the end connector.
> Absolutely. Put the 2500 as the master, the DVD ROM as the slave, and put
> them on the second IDE cable in their respective positions. Fire it up,
XP
> will recognize who's who and your all set.
> RJ
> "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > The $83.00 one (OEM Bulk) is just that - drive only. The other
probably
> > has
> > > a cable which you don't really need. I guess I'd configure the 2500A
as
> > the
> > > master in that it does both + and - DVD. I assume your getting the
> 2100A
> > > with the Dell? That one does only +DVD so the 2500 is a bit more
> > versitle.
> > > You can select your burn drive from the software so in that regard it
> > > doesn't really matter, but from a consistency standpoint I suppose the
> > 2500
> > > should be your number one burner.
> >
> > Actually, I plan on just getting a basic DVD-Rom drive with the system
and
> > then install the new NEC DVD burner myself. I still can get the cheaper
> one
> > from Newegg with this configuration, correct?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phillip

OEM CD-RW drives I have gotten from Newegg came with software (Nero).

> The $83.00 one (OEM Bulk) is just that - drive only. The other probably
has
> a cable which you don't really need. I guess I'd configure the 2500A as
the
> master in that it does both + and - DVD. I assume your getting the 2100A
> with the Dell? That one does only +DVD so the 2500 is a bit more
versitle.
> You can select your burn drive from the software so in that regard it
> doesn't really matter, but from a consistency standpoint I suppose the
2500
> should be your number one burner.
> Enjoy,
> RJ
> "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > NEC2500A - about $100.00 delivered from newegg.com. This is an OEM
> drive,
> > > but you can find NERO OEM on eBay for maybe $20.00. My 8300 came with
> the
> > > NEC 2100 so the 2500A compliments it nicely.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice. I noticed newegg.com has two NEC2500A's listed.
Any
> > difference besides one comes with Roxio and the other doesn't?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-014&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-012&depa=1

> > Which drive do you prefer to be the master and the slave in this set up?
> > Also, are there any installation issues I should be aware of? This will
be
> > my first Dell so I just want to be sure all my bases are covered.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phillip

Douglas

You can use master/slave in place of cable select on the 8300.I have
installed about 100 of them,and have always switched from the CS settings!As
for the NEC 2500,I just put 6 in 8300s today.I purchased from Newegg for $85
each,and ALL set as master.The 8300s all had sata hard drives.I did try
CS,but the Hitachi dvd rom drive kept going into pio mode.after setting it
slave it stayed at DMA2.
> Not on a Dell. Cable Select for both. 2500 on the end connector.
> "R.J. Rabenberg" <rjrabenberg@sio.midco.net> wrote in message
> > Absolutely. Put the 2500 as the master, the DVD ROM as the slave, and
put
> > them on the second IDE cable in their respective positions. Fire it up,
> XP
> > will recognize who's who and your all set.
> > RJ
> > "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> probably
> > > has
> as
> > > the
> > 2100A
> > > versitle.
> > > 2500
> > >
> > > Actually, I plan on just getting a basic DVD-Rom drive with the system
> and
> > > then install the new NEC DVD burner myself. I still can get the
cheaper
> > one
> > > from Newegg with this configuration, correct?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Phillip

Douglas

I thought I had better add,the oem NEC 2500 drive from Newegg does NOT come
with software! Also be sure to get the BLACK version,they have beige also.
"schmoopsy" <schmoop@gopoundsand.com> wrote in message
> OEM CD-RW drives I have gotten from Newegg came with software (Nero).
>
> "R.J. Rabenberg" <rjrabenberg@sio.midco.net> wrote in message
> > The $83.00 one (OEM Bulk) is just that - drive only. The other probably
> has
> > a cable which you don't really need. I guess I'd configure the 2500A as
> the
> > master in that it does both + and - DVD. I assume your getting the
2100A
> > with the Dell? That one does only +DVD so the 2500 is a bit more
> versitle.
> > You can select your burn drive from the software so in that regard it
> > doesn't really matter, but from a consistency standpoint I suppose the
> 2500
> > should be your number one burner.
> > Enjoy,
> > RJ
> > "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
> > drive,
> > the
> > >
> > > Thanks for the advice. I noticed newegg.com has two NEC2500A's listed.
> Any
> > > difference besides one comes with Roxio and the other doesn't?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-014&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-012&depa=1

> > > Which drive do you prefer to be the master and the slave in this set
up?
> > > Also, are there any installation issues I should be aware of? This
will
> be
> > > my first Dell so I just want to be sure all my bases are covered.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Phillip

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> You can use master/slave in place of cable select on the 8300.I have
> installed about 100 of them,and have always switched from the CS settings!As
> for the NEC 2500,I just put 6 in 8300s today.I purchased from Newegg for $85
> each,and ALL set as master.The 8300s all had sata hard drives.I did try
> CS,but the Hitachi dvd rom drive kept going into pio mode.after setting it
> slave it stayed at DMA2.

Tom,

I have a Dell 8300, 120gb sata hd, 512 ram, dvd rom and I added a
Plextor 708a dvd-rw.

I have read and tried everything on several boards and I cannot get
dma2 !!!

dma if available,
uninstalled ide channels several times,
updated 708a firmware,
ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
tried cable select,
tried slave and master,
tried master and slave.

I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, but the quoted text doesn't belong to me.

Tom

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<RLWdnYTJavh3czzdRVn-vA@comcast.com>...
> Sorry, but the quoted text doesn't belong to me.
>
> Tom

Your right, sorry. Should have said Douglas. He seems to be working
on the exact same machines as mine.

P.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Douglas are you out there?

On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:55:15 -0400, "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com>
wrote:

>> I just ordered the NEC 2500A from NewEgg. I'm going to put it into my old
>> Dell 4100 running Win98, but I really should upgrade this desktop. It's
>> almost four years old.
>>
>> What would be a good replacement computer? Any suggestions?
>>
>> --
>

>Just upgraded one of these to XP Pro with no problem. Added memory and it
>runs great. I only bumped it to 256MB since it wasn't under heavy usage.
>Believe it had a P3-1GHz processor. Something to consider.

Mine already has 256 MB, but it's only a P3 750MHz processor. Otherwise it
works great. However I'm nervous about upgrading the operating system
because of a tricky existing LAN and cranky driver for the USB DSL modem.
Also with the high cost of a new operating systems, I thought it might be
more economical to just get a whole new system.

>If you want to buy new, then post how much you want to spend and what you
>want to use the computer for and people can make some suggestions.

My main application is processor intensive, bandwidth intensive, NewsPlex
which runs as a local NNTP proxy. This entails heavy binary downloading
from newsgroups via ADSL. One possibility is to leave NewsPLex on the
current machine and network it to my new desktop, running it as a remote
proxy to take the load off my new computer.

Otherwise it's just Forte Agent for newsgroups and email, IE for light web
surfing, Visual Page for light web design, Photoshop for photo editing, MS
Word for light word processing, Nero for burning DVD's, and WMP for some
multimedia viewing. No heavy gaming. Ideally I'll be burning compliant
DVD's so I can watch them on television via our Zenith DVD player instead
of on the computer.

Because of the heavy downloading, I'll need an extra large hard drive (at
least 100 GB). Also the monitor must present accurate color and crispness
edge to edge without distortion for photo editing. It does not need to be
a flat screen. Actually, the original monitor I have now is fine and I may
not want to get a new monitor with the new system.

Price is not a huge concern as long as the computer will respond at least
as fast as my current 4100. It also MUST be whisper quiet like my current
4100.

Suggestions are welcome.