Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Computers4sure.com has them listed;but not in stock.

3500+ for $580.95
3700+ for $818.95
3800+ for $829.95

Back to real prices for CPU it seems :frown:
links at <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/</A>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
LOL! If this is true, then it is OBVIOUS that AMD does not want to sell these things, at least for now. It seems to me that all those that predicted that we won't see mass production of S939 CPUs until 90nm are going to be proven correct.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I'm sure they love selling them, at least at those prices :)

Anyway, I can't blame AMD for trying to make a buck on the high end, now that they have the upper hand. Even 3.2 GHz prescotts are for most part inexistant today, so 3.6 or 3.7 GHz parts will probably be rare as ripe strawberry in an arctic march, not unlike the 1 GHz pentium 3 some years ago.

Personally, I will be more intested in seeing how lower end A64 pricing is going to change, and if we will see ~3000+ parts (sub $200) for S939.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well Socket939 Athlon64's not gonna go lower than 3500+, that's their enthusiast class(if prices are that high why not just go for the fx? they have the full 1mb L2 cache) the AthlonXP's moving to socket754, The price for socket754 Athlon64 has just rised in Canada, i'm not sure about the reason, but it just did.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Well Socket939 Athlon64's not gonna go lower than 3500+

Bummer :(

>if prices are that high why not just go for the fx? they
>have the full 1mb L2 cache)

I think a 2.4 GHz 512Kb dual channel A64 3800+ will be *very* close in performance to a FX53 (actually, I would not be shocked to find out it outperforms a socket 940 FX53), so its not surprising its pricing will be close.

However, the prices quoted above are actually higher than a FX53, which doesnt make a lot of sense unless these prices are more representative of the current "shortage" (these chips arent even launched yet) than their actual pricing by AMD.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
About two gramm :)

Seriously though, hard to say, depends on the app. Overall its definately not huge, but neither is for instance the difference between 512kb and 1 MB.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
BTW, ECC doesnt cost any performance AFAIK, its the fact its registered RAM (regardless of wether it is ECC protected or not). ECC & registered usually do go together though.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You're correct, ECC does not affect performance...registered does, however.

Registered in a <=2 DIMM config will be slower than unbuffered (usually) while in a >2 DIMM config will be faster than unbuffered (usually). So pretty much registered is only advantageous in large quantities.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ECC is error correction, uses a parity bit, that means it's slower because your system has to calculate all those parity bits. As for as I know, registered doesn't affect performance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
you're wrong, its pretty much the other way around. Indeed enabling ECC does incur a small performance hit, but that is a non issue since you can just turn it off in BIOS.

Using registered (buffered) DIMMS on the other hand always results in higher latencies, since address and command signals are buffered on the DIMM, then translated and rerouted to the correct chip on the DIMM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've been wrong before, but this time I actually said "as far as I know" simply because I wasn't sure. Yes, I knew you could turn off ECC in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>