Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64bit spontaneous power-off.

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
December 1, 2012 7:40:01 AM

ASUS G50V, shutting off randomly anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes. Seemed like a OS problem, fresh install of windows, seemed ok for awhile started doing it again, i think its a windows update causing the problem.

Still happens in safe mode, ran msconfig and turned off half of the services, been running 2 hours with out shutdown, pretty sure i ruled out hardware failure, event viwer log didnt say much just code 6008 windows shut down unexpectedly.

What should i do next? is this a know problem?

thankyou.

More about : windows 64bit spontaneous power

a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 8:14:17 AM

What kind of shutdown is it? Blackscreen, blue screen of death, normal shutdown with logoff and shutdown screens, or something else. Please elaborate.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 8:32:16 AM

Update bios and drivers .check or change cmos battery.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 8:33:24 AM

Scan system with super antispyware free version.
m
l
December 1, 2012 10:47:54 AM

pauls3743 said:
What kind of shutdown is it? Blackscreen, blue screen of death, normal shutdown with logoff and shutdown screens, or something else. Please elaborate.

Blackscreen very random, almost like the power button is being held, system turns on like nothing happened, like i said event viewer doesn't show much. as of now i have the problem contained, i just need to figured of what services is causeing the shut down and the true problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2012 11:42:02 AM

Blackscreen normally indicates a power supply problem. However, I'm going to suggest you download CPU-Z HWMonitor and check the running temps of your cpu and graphics cards, this will also give you a good indication of your supply voltages.

At this point I would normally be telling desktop users to try another power supply in the system. As it's a laptop I think the best thing to do would be to talk to the retailer you bought it from if it's still within warranty, if not talk to your local laptop repair shop (this might be the same place depending on where you bought it).

Notes:-Windows only recorded an "unexpected shutdown" after reboot because by the time the power has cut it's too late for Windows to record anything. You don't get the boot options window because technically it hasn't failed to startup or shutdown, just that it went from on to off bypassing the shutdown procedure.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:58:22 PM

shiozaki said:
ASUS G50V, shutting off randomly anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes. Seemed like a OS problem, fresh install of windows, seemed ok for awhile started doing it again, i think its a windows update causing the problem.

Still happens in safe mode, ran msconfig and turned off half of the services, been running 2 hours with out shutdown, pretty sure i ruled out hardware failure, event viwer log didnt say much just code 6008 windows shut down unexpectedly.

What should i do next? is this a know problem?

thankyou.

I am having a similar problem. It just spontaneously shuts down with no warning, and has been doing it since November or early December 2012. I'm reasonably certain it has nothing to do with heat or the power supply, since it would happen consistently in those cases. I used to work in a computer manufacturing environment in systems test as my first job out of school. That type of problem is not common after burn-in of a new system.

This seems like a software-induced bug or malicious code. But I've run a number of deep scans using various scanners, and there doesn't appear to be anything there. I have auto updates set, and I think it may have something to do with video. The last few times I noticed it was when I had launched videos on various sites, including the Wall Street Journal site, on the most current version of Firefox. I haven't run any videos for close to a week now, and it hasn't shut down once.

In terms of technical specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium with most current updates
HP HPE-112Y, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor 2.8 Ghz, 8GB ram, 64 bit os
m
l
!