Need XP Registry File Name

I have two question. In Windows XP what is the file mame of file in which the
current registry data is stored. My second quesiton is this, if I remove a
master hard disk from a Windows XP PC and install it as a slave drive in
another Windows XP PC can I then examine and or edit the registry file of the
now slave hard drive by importing the slave PC's registry file into the host
PCs "regedit". I also need to be sure that this procedure would not in any
way alter the host PC's registry file.

Thanks for any help.

Ted

Ted,

Registry Hives and Supporting files:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_hives.asp

For the 2nd part, it's possible. Here are some examples:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_adv_reg_editing.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307016
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/967e371b-40f8-4562-ac7c-91e8f251d65b.mspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Preacher Ted" <PreacherTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two question. In Windows XP what is the file mame of file in which
>the
> current registry data is stored. My second quesiton is this, if I remove a
> master hard disk from a Windows XP PC and install it as a slave drive in
> another Windows XP PC can I then examine and or edit the registry file of
> the
> now slave hard drive by importing the slave PC's registry file into the
> host
> PCs "regedit". I also need to be sure that this procedure would not in any
> way alter the host PC's registry file.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Ted

You cannot edit the registry unless you are actually using
Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP