Score one for Dell support

jeff

Sunday evening my two year old 1900FP monitor died suddenly while I was
sitting in front of it. The screen dimmed so that it was almost dark,
and what was left of the screen image responded very slowly. If you
typed in text, the text wouldn't appear for 20 seconds or so. If you
moved the mouse, the cursor would gradually fade out of its old position
and gradually fade into the new position.

I swapped the monitor with an old 15" CRT and determined that the
problem really was in the monitor, not the video card.

Early Monday morning I called Dell support. The computer, and the
monitor that came with it is two years into a three year maintenance
agreement. After punching in my express service number and enduring 10
minutes of recorded announcements talking about the effects of the
Sasser worm and what to do about it, I was connected to a live person. I
could readily understand him, although his accent had a slight
international flavor that I couldn't quite place. I explained what had
happened and what I had done so far. He asked me to do one more
troubleshooting test, which was to power down the monitor, disconnect it
from the computer, then power it up again, looking for the power-on
self-test image. The self test appeared after about 20 seconds or so,
but was very dark and so blurry as to be unreadable. He pronounced the
monitor to be dead, and put me on hold for five minutes while he
arranged for shipment of a replacement.

Tuesday morning, Fedex delivered the replacement. It is a refurbished
monitor (no surprise there), but a 1901FP instead of a 1900FP. So they
replaced my two year old monitor with a newer model with a fancy
pivoting screen and a built-in USB hub.

All in all, Dell made the whole experience pretty painless.

Jeff Bean

Hopefully, they are starting to get back to providing decent service again
(like they did in the 90's). For many of us, customer service in the last 2
or 3 years has been absolute horse$#&%!!

bill

In article <KK8oc.22$46.132@cletus.bright.net>, razamanaz99@yahoo.com says...

>Hopefully, they are starting to get back to providing decent service again
>(like they did in the 90's). For many of us, customer service in the last 2
>or 3 years has been absolute horse$#&%!!

I had a tech who put me through hell with an obviously dead 8100. When I was
transferred to another tech, he told me that I'd been through enough. 2 days
later I received an 8200. Been working great since. Just gotta hope for the
best people to answer the phone.

Paul

Splendid

I am of the belief that each of these "tech's" are evaluated on the number
of returns they allow. If you get one that has reached his/her limit, they
aggravate you until you hang up. Calling back gets a new one who hopefully
has yet to reach their "limit."

goop

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

no. that's dumb. techs are not measured on how much stuff they send out,
unless if they send out an insane number it might be an indication that they
are just throwing parts at a problem until it goes away.

as for allowing returning of systems, if you bought a car and the the motor
failed after 2 and a half years, would you expect the car dealership to
replace the motor or give you a brand new car?

"Paul" <pkatz15@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am of the belief that each of these "tech's" are evaluated on the number
> of returns they allow. If you get one that has reached his/her limit,
they
> aggravate you until you hang up. Calling back gets a new one who
hopefully
> has yet to reach their "limit."

consider yourself lucky. many have had to endure dell hell. and your not
out of the woods yet.

"Jeff" <jeff@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Sunday evening my two year old 1900FP monitor died suddenly while I was
> sitting in front of it. The screen dimmed so that it was almost dark,
> and what was left of the screen image responded very slowly. If you
> typed in text, the text wouldn't appear for 20 seconds or so. If you
> moved the mouse, the cursor would gradually fade out of its old position
> and gradually fade into the new position.
>
> I swapped the monitor with an old 15" CRT and determined that the
> problem really was in the monitor, not the video card.
>
> Early Monday morning I called Dell support. The computer, and the
> monitor that came with it is two years into a three year maintenance
> agreement. After punching in my express service number and enduring 10
> minutes of recorded announcements talking about the effects of the
> Sasser worm and what to do about it, I was connected to a live person. I
> could readily understand him, although his accent had a slight
> international flavor that I couldn't quite place. I explained what had
> happened and what I had done so far. He asked me to do one more
> troubleshooting test, which was to power down the monitor, disconnect it
> from the computer, then power it up again, looking for the power-on
> self-test image. The self test appeared after about 20 seconds or so,
> but was very dark and so blurry as to be unreadable. He pronounced the
> monitor to be dead, and put me on hold for five minutes while he
> arranged for shipment of a replacement.
>
> Tuesday morning, Fedex delivered the replacement. It is a refurbished
> monitor (no surprise there), but a 1901FP instead of a 1900FP. So they
> replaced my two year old monitor with a newer model with a fancy
> pivoting screen and a built-in USB hub.
>
> All in all, Dell made the whole experience pretty painless.
>
> Jeff Bean

Robert

Score two.
I emailed tech support yesterday. Described the moving mouse cursor my C600
had, I had already updated the BIOS & touchpad driver. Tried disablking the
pointing stick etc.
Got an email back yesterday and a tech on-site in my office this morning.
I probably spent an hour of my time looking at the fault, 5 minutes to email
and 20 minutes while the tech replaced the parts.