Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I did a repair install on one of my computers today, and all wen well
until the final reboot and then it went into a loop. I was unable to
boot in any configuration (IE no safe mode last known con fig. or the
other two options)
Sure could use some input on this problem.
TIA

Malke

GreyTop wrote:

> I did a repair install on one of my computers today, and all wen well
> until the final reboot and then it went into a loop. I was unable to
> boot in any configuration (IE no safe mode last known con fig. or the
> other two options)
> Sure could use some input on this problem.
> TIA

What was the problem that caused you to do a repair install? Without
knowing anything about your computer and its problems, it is not
possible to give you a specific answer. If there are no hardware
problems (and let us know if you need help diagnosing hardware), then
format/clean-install Windows and restore data from backups. If you have
no backups, your data can still be retrieved outside of Windows. Let us
know if you need details about that.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:56:52 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
wrote:

>GreyTop wrote:
>
>> I did a repair install on one of my computers today, and all wen well
>> until the final reboot and then it went into a loop. I was unable to
>> boot in any configuration (IE no safe mode last known con fig. or the
>> other two options)
>> Sure could use some input on this problem.
>> TIA
>
>What was the problem that caused you to do a repair install? Without
>knowing anything about your computer and its problems, it is not
>possible to give you a specific answer. If there are no hardware
>problems (and let us know if you need help diagnosing hardware), then
>format/clean-install Windows and restore data from backups. If you have
>no backups, your data can still be retrieved outside of Windows. Let us
>know if you need details about that.
>
>Malke
My computer is Gateway 1100 I have XP pro installed with all the
patches. I have a true image backup up of the complete system which I
used a couple of time yesterday. To get back up and running after it
was stuck in the loop,
The reason for the repair install was the computer has slowed to a
crawl for some reason. I have a hunch the culprit is Spyware Doctor. I
can remove the program completely and it is back to normal. If I just
use the function to NOT start at start in the program it still slows
the computer down. Hence I wanted to get rid of the program and a
repair install to ensure it did not remove any thing.
Yes I have run SFC Scan now.
I am just trying to find out why when doing a repair install at the
last boot it the computer goes into a loop and it will not do anything
but loop regardless of what I do.

Malke

GreyTop wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:56:52 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>>GreyTop wrote:
>>
>>> I did a repair install on one of my computers today, and all wen
>>> well until the final reboot and then it went into a loop. I was
>>> unable to
>>> boot in any configuration (IE no safe mode last known con fig. or
>>> the other two options)
>>> Sure could use some input on this problem.
>>> TIA
>>
>>What was the problem that caused you to do a repair install? Without
>>knowing anything about your computer and its problems, it is not
>>possible to give you a specific answer. If there are no hardware
>>problems (and let us know if you need help diagnosing hardware), then
>>format/clean-install Windows and restore data from backups. If you
>>have no backups, your data can still be retrieved outside of Windows.
>>Let us know if you need details about that.
>>
>>Malke
> My computer is Gateway 1100 I have XP pro installed with all the
> patches. I have a true image backup up of the complete system which I
> used a couple of time yesterday. To get back up and running after it
> was stuck in the loop,
> The reason for the repair install was the computer has slowed to a
> crawl for some reason. I have a hunch the culprit is Spyware Doctor. I
> can remove the program completely and it is back to normal. If I just
> use the function to NOT start at start in the program it still slows
> the computer down. Hence I wanted to get rid of the program and a
> repair install to ensure it did not remove any thing.
> Yes I have run SFC Scan now.
> I am just trying to find out why when doing a repair install at the
> last boot it the computer goes into a loop and it will not do anything
> but loop regardless of what I do.

Perhaps the loop is caused by drivers, perhaps by some software you have
installed. I'm sorry but there really is no way for me to know. Since
you have images, try restoring a recent one. Here are links discussing
computer slowness:

Slow or Sluggish Computer:
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm - Take Out the Trash (section 4)

Have you done any hardware diagnosis at all? Tested the hard drive or
RAM for a start?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers