I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.

During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When the
PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password for
the accounts.

I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck. Help????

Just pressing 'enter' should get you in if you didn't set a password during
setup.

"Chris Wais" <ChrisWais@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
> use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.
>
> During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
> up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When
> the
> PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
> password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password
> for
> the accounts.
>
> I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck.
> Help????

Take a look at this:
http://www.broomeman.com/password/

You might just want to reinstall, and specify a password and write it down.

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit:
http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

"Chris Wais" <ChrisWais@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
> use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.
>
> During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
> up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When
> the
> PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
> password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password
> for
> the accounts.
>
> I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck.
> Help????

Reboot into safe mode, log in to "administrator" and go to the control panel
and click on users. There you can change your passwords or remove them.

"Chris Wais" <ChrisWais@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
> use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.
>
> During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
> up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When
> the
> PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
> password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password
> for
> the accounts.
>
> I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck.
> Help????

I have tried all the options that you, Wired and John Doe suggested. Still
no luck.

When I reboot into safe mode and log in as Administrator with a blank
password, I get a screen that says: " The system cannot log you on to the
following error: The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be
contacted. Please try again or check w/ your system administrator."

Note: This is a new XP installation on a HP machine that was previously
running W98. I have not been able to get past this problem to get to a
control panel to access any accounts or change passwords.

"Donny Broome" wrote:

> Take a look at this:
> http://www.broomeman.com/password/
>
> You might just want to reinstall, and specify a password and write it down.

> Donny Broome
> donny AT broomeman DOT com
> Kill Spyware! Visit:
> http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/
>

> "Chris Wais" <ChrisWais@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
> > use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.
> >
> > During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
> > up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When
> > the
> > PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
> > password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password
> > for
> > the accounts.
> >
> > I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck.
> > Help????

Pls see response to Donny Broome. Any other ideas?

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> Just pressing 'enter' should get you in if you didn't set a password during
> setup.
>
> "Chris Wais" <ChrisWais@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
> > use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.
> >
> > During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
> > up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When
> > the
> > PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
> > password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password
> > for
> > the accounts.
> >
> > I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck.
> > Help????

Pls see rsponse to Donny Broome. Help!!!

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> Just pressing 'enter' should get you in if you didn't set a password during
> setup.
>
> "Chris Wais" <ChrisWais@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am setting up XP Pro on a PC that was previously running W98. I did not
> > use the upgrade option. I used the new installation option.
> >
> > During the setup, it asked for the names of the accounts to set up. I set
> > up 3 accounts and did not set up any passwords for these accounts. When
> > the
> > PC rebooted, I got the Welcome screen w/ the 3 account. All require a
> > password. I cannot get past this screen since I do not know a password
> > for
> > the accounts.
> >
> > I have tried blank, as well as the names of the accounts. No luck.
> > Help????

Malke

Chris Wais wrote:

> I have tried all the options that you, Wired and John Doe suggested.
> Still no luck.
>
> When I reboot into safe mode and log in as Administrator with a blank
> password, I get a screen that says: " The system cannot log you on to
> the
> following error: The specified domain either does not exist or cannot
> be
> contacted. Please try again or check w/ your system administrator."
>
> Note: This is a new XP installation on a HP machine that was
> previously
> running W98. I have not been able to get past this problem to get to
> a control panel to access any accounts or change passwords.

It sounds like you mistakenly set this machine up as part of a domain.
Since there are no domain accounts, you can't log in. Try booting with
NTpasswd and changing the Administrator account to a blank. You should
then be able to log into the machine as Administrator in Safe Mode and
from there make sure you have local accounts set up and the machine is
not on a domain.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

If you have the admin user/password, try pressing ctrl+alt+del at the
welcome screen. This should bring up the traditional login screen.

If you didn't set any password for the Administrator user it is probaly
blank.

As admin you can change any of the users passwords