Can't see CAB files on CD-Roms ?

I have a Dell Latitude C640 running Windows 2000. When I try installing
certain software, it starts to install then tells me "cannot find file
[filename].cab". The CAB file *IS* there, I can explore the CD and see it, I
can copy it, but for whatever reason the installer can't see it. Also, If I
copy the entire CD to a folder on the hard disk, it installs fine from
there)

It's not a bad CD or CD-rom drive, I can install using the same CD and
CD-Rom Drive on a Latitude CPxJ just fine. - It must be something peculiar
to this C640 and/or the Windows2000 on this C640.

Has anyone else seen a similar situation, and how did you resolve it ?

- FM -
3 answers Last reply
More about files roms

    "Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Latitude C640 running Windows 2000. When I try installing
    > certain software, it starts to install then tells me "cannot find file
    > [filename].cab". The CAB file *IS* there, I can explore the CD and see it,
    > can copy it, but for whatever reason the installer can't see it. Also, If
    > copy the entire CD to a folder on the hard disk, it installs fine from
    > there)
    >
    > It's not a bad CD or CD-rom drive, I can install using the same CD and
    > CD-Rom Drive on a Latitude CPxJ just fine. - It must be something peculiar
    > to this C640 and/or the Windows2000 on this C640.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen a similar situation, and how did you resolve it ?
    >
    > - FM -

    Can you be a bit more specific regarding the programs you're installing?
    Also, are you running Win2K SP4?

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Can you be a bit more specific regarding the programs you're installing?
    > Also, are you running Win2K SP4?

    Thanks for replying, Stew.

    I'm running Win2K SP4 plus all the latest from Windows Update. It happens
    with at least two programs: MS SQL Server 2000 and an industrial automation
    program from Siemens called "Step7". The exact message I get (From Step7,
    similar from SQL2K) is:

    "Error 1311.Source file not found:
    E:\04_STEP7_V5.3+HF2\DISK1\Data1.cab. Verify
    that the file exists and that you can access it."

    I've verified that the file exists in the described path. The media is good;
    it works on other machines such as a Latitude CPxJ. It's not the CD-ROM
    hardware, it also fails trying to install from an external SCSI CD-ROM via a
    C-Dock-II docking station. Therefore, it must be something peculiar to the
    C640 itself or the Win2K build on these C640s.

    But I'm not knowledgable enough on how the installation process actually
    works with Win2K and InstallShield to know where to even begin to debug
    this.

    - FM -

    It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Wed, 09
    Jun 2004 23:17:56 GMT or thereabouts, "Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net>
    wrote the following intercepted missive:

    >I have a Dell Latitude C640 running Windows 2000. When I try installing
    >certain software, it starts to install then tells me "cannot find file
    >[filename].cab". The CAB file *IS* there, I can explore the CD and see it, I
    >can copy it, but for whatever reason the installer can't see it. Also, If I
    >copy the entire CD to a folder on the hard disk, it installs fine from
    >there)

    There is a large amount of info on the net about this problem. I had the same
    thing trying to install Norton Ghost. There is no fix other than the one you
    reported: you have to copy the cd contents to a hd folder and install from
    there. Have no idea why this is so.

    CUL8R

    R*Horse

    www.sonic.net/~lkokot

    "Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
    recognize this country, don't you?"

    "Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
    thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
    wonderful - and unexpected."

    Mark Twain
    Life on the Mississippi

Dell Latitude CD-Rom Computers