longhornrangler

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004
I need to move data from a win 98 SE pc to an already existing win xp pc, and take that already existing win xp pc and move data to a new, clean xp pc. They are all Dells. What should I do?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you just need to transfer data then either use ethernet or move hard drives to copy from around as secondary devices.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slvr_phoenix on 05/25/04 02:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
your sig screws up the frame.
The frame screws up my sig.

:p

Seriously though, it looks just fine here. Leave it to the wonderful world of WYSI<b><font color=red>N</font color=red></b>WYG. Is this change any better?

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey, slvr, where've you been? Haven't seen you about in a while.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, you know, taking over the world and then building a time machine to go back in time to before the point that I took it over to stop myself and grab a few drinks instead. Responsability is a _____ and ruling the world was just work work work. I had no free time anymore. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it sounded in the brochure.

Or if you don't want to believe that then there's always the truth. ;-)

I've been deeply engrossed in writing an object-oriented list-based OpenGL engine in Python and then using some of that that to write 3D molecular imaging software. (OpenGL and Python don't mix well unfortunately. Python slows it down really badly, far worse than normal for Python. So I ended up only using part of my engine and wrapping GLU into the engine for the other part of it) I'm not sure that I have the thermal ellipsoid geometry quite right yet, but it's been coming along nicely and one day if I have time time I'll get to write my whole engine in C++ and wrap that in Python and all of my performance problems will go away.

Well, I've been working on that and crystal project archiving software that extracts the data out of our database and puts it into an XML file along with a million other files and burns them onto CDs. (And of course restores from the CDs.) But that's primarily done by interfacing cdrtools from Linux and Cygwinning that under Windows with a pretty Python layer for wrapping.

You know, work. :\

I'd have written in every so often from home but I've also been busy playing Painkiller, putting the finishing touches on my new divination rune set and manual, writing a new vampire hunter novel, and perfecting my soup recipes. The curry chicken and potato soup is coming along remarkably tasty. :)

Oh, and discovering the joys of doing shots that are 3/4 vodka and 1/4 vanilla schnapps. Well, okay, so I start out at about 1/2 and 1/2 at first and work my way to 3/4 and 1/4 once the throat stops burning, but it's the thought that counts. I've really got to start pre-mixing though. Mixing drinks in shot glasses isn't always easy when you've been drinking.

Not much new seems to have gone on in the computer industry, so I figured I probably wasn't missing too much. Anything other than the standard THGC bickering and clues go on while I was gone? Has THGC stayed about as dead as when I left?

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You know, work. :\
Well, I know <i>my</i> work - yours sounds a bit too low level/Headache inducing for a lowly Delphi/Win32 Developer like myself :smile: I keep telling myself that I'll at least one day get into Linux, but given the choice between that and a beer or ten I tend to opt for the beer :lol:

Vodka/Vanilla? I think I tried some Vanilla shots a while ago, but can't say they were exactly to my taste. I've recently starting acquiring a taste for whisky though. Always used to hate the stuff... Are my taste buds simply maturing in my old age, or is this a first step towards raging alcoholism? :eek:

Has THGC stayed about as dead as when I left?
not much changes really.. Same old arguments, just different perpetrators. I noted you'd already had a go at talking to a very promising newcomer, Entium. He's only been around for a couple of days though I think.

Not a lot else though...

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I know my work - yours sounds a bit too low level/Headache inducing for a lowly Delphi/Win32 Developer like myself I keep telling myself that I'll at least one day get into Linux, but given the choice between that and a beer or ten I tend to opt for the beer
Heh heh. It's actually a nice break from what I used to do in the military. Unfortunately I'm not entirely convinced that it is my genes that made my hair go gray and fall out so early in my life. Damn stress. :( I'd go for the beer myself if I wasn't allergic. I'm not sure if it's the malt or hops or what, but beer makes me pretty sick pretty quickly in a way that is nothing like the joy of being drunk. :( I have to opt for harder stuff such as vodka. (Which is a _____ on the cash flow when at a bar. So I do most of my drinking at home.)

Vodka/Vanilla? I think I tried some Vanilla shots a while ago, but can't say they were exactly to my taste.
I'm sure that you could use any schnapps. (Though you have to use good vodka.) The key is the combination of the vodka and the schnapps. The schnapps takes the hard-to-swallow edge off of the vodka (a danger in doing shots, that you don't swallow it quickly enough) and the vodka thins out the schnapps enough to make it not sickeningly sweet. I was surprised myself at how good they went together. It sure beats doing pure vodka shots. I might even try mixing up a new equivalent to a white russian using the concept. Mmmm. That could be dangerously addictive.

I've recently starting acquiring a taste for whisky though. Always used to hate the stuff... Are my taste buds simply maturing in my old age, or is this a first step towards raging alcoholism?
It's only raging alcoholism if you're constantly red like a raging bull. ;-) But seriously, there's nothing wrong with a little whisky. Just be careful that the reason you like it is that you've burned away your taste buds instead of matured them. :O

not much changes really.. Same old arguments, just different perpetrators.
Figures. Good 'ol THGC.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do as follows:

1) use yer brain (don't be lazy)
2) use CD-R
3) use DVD-R
4) use external HD
5) use network
6) use HD to HD
7) use paid service to do all above

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
3) use DVD-R
Are you <b>nuts</b>?! DVD-Rs are way too expensive to waste on <i>that</i>. Maybe a RW because you can reuse it, but not an R. That's just goofy talk, Mr. Goofy Head.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mr. Goofy Head you are. I always use R caz I can put it on the shelf and have it ALWAYS there in case my HD is deading out. PLUS if you have to do it more than once (in case your setup goes tits up), or you have more than 5Gs of info that will have to be put on more than one DVD-RW (which is about 4 times more money than -R), so me is no Mr. Goofy Head no more, is me?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used DVD-R for ghosting both of my Win2k and XP (rather than use several CDs for backing these up). BTW, DVD-R is not actually too expensive (~ $1 or less if you buy a spindle).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.