C drive is called F

When I installed my hard drive it somehow got named F instead of the

traditional C. Now I get all kinds of funny (not funny at all) things

happening. When I try to install certain applications an error message

"Invalid X:" comes up. Is there a way to change the drive letter to C?

Thanks,
McClint
12 answers Last reply
More about drive called

    "McClint" <vitalpilot@core.com> wrote:

    >When I installed my hard drive it somehow got named F instead of the
    >
    >traditional C. Now I get all kinds of funny (not funny at all) things
    >
    >happening. When I try to install certain applications an error message
    >
    >"Invalid X:" comes up. Is there a way to change the drive letter to C?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >McClint

    At this point the cure is likely to be worse than the disease, because
    so many items already installed are linked to drive F:

    When you install an application you are going to have to check the
    install location. Most apps display the information as to where they
    are going to install and they do give you the ability to change this,
    sometimes just by typing over top of the displayed location. If the
    app says it is going to install to C:\(whatever) then you need to
    change the drive letter to F: and leave the rest as displayed and it
    should work out okay.

    Your other option is to wipe out the hard drive and start over with a
    clean install of Windows, this time making sure that your Zip drive is
    totally disconnected from the computer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
    'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
    norwegian)

    Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
    system.

    Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.

    I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
    installed on it.

    Best of luck!

    Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
    'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
    norwegian)

    Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
    system.

    Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.

    I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
    installed on it.

    Best of luck!

    This happens when you install Windows on a computer which has other items,
    such as flash drives, still attached to the computer. Reinstall Windows but
    be sure to disconnect all peripherals which are installed externally to the
    computer

    ..

    matsr wrote:
    > Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
    > 'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
    > norwegian)
    >
    > Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
    > system.
    >
    > Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.
    >
    > I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
    > installed on it.

    It doesn't.

    Steve

    "" wrote:
    > "McClint" <vitalpilot@core.com> wrote:
    >
    > >When I installed my hard drive it somehow got named F instead
    > of the
    > >
    > >traditional C. Now I get all kinds of funny (not funny at
    > all) things
    > >
    > >happening. When I try to install certain applications an
    > error message
    > >
    > >"Invalid X:" comes up. Is there a way to change the drive
    > letter to C?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >McClint
    > >

    > At this point the cure is likely to be worse than the disease,
    > because
    > so many items already installed are linked to drive F:
    >
    > When you install an application you are going to have to check
    > the
    > install location. Most apps display the information as to
    > where they
    > are going to install and they do give you the ability to
    > change this,
    > sometimes just by typing over top of the displayed location.
    > If the
    > app says it is going to install to C:(whatever) then you need
    > change the drive letter to F: and leave the rest as displayed
    > and it
    > should work out okay.
    >
    > Your other option is to wipe out the hard drive and start over
    > with a
    > clean install of Windows, this time making sure that your Zip
    > drive is
    > totally disconnected from the computer.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    if you right click my computer then hit manage, select disk management
    and right click on you harddrive and select the option to change the
    drive letter.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-drive-called-ftopict422985.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1415343

    "matsr" <mostue@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
    >'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
    >norwegian)
    >
    >Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
    >system.
    >
    >Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.
    >
    >I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
    >installed on it.

    It won't, because changing the drive letter of the boot drive is
    suicidal.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    If I belive it is worth a try, why can't I suggest it?

    Because YOU don't have to pick up the scattered pieces when that blows
    up in poor persons face. Hows this for a suggestion. Pull the pin on a
    grenade and release the handle to see if it is a dummy grenade.

    matsr wrote:
    > If I belive it is worth a try, why can't I suggest it?

    You can do anything you want, especially if you want to show your
    ignorance. And if you want to give people useless advice, and waste
    their time. But is that any help?

    Stick to answering questions you actually know the answers to, if you
    really want to help people. If you are trying to do something other
    than help, then go ahead and continue to make a fool out of yourself.
    pcButthead needs a friend.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    matsr wrote:
    > If I belive it is worth a try, why can't I suggest it?

    You can believe whatever you like, it won't change the truth, which in
    this case is that it will not work; you cannot use Disk Management to
    change the system drive letter, period. Not only will the system not let
    you do it but even if it did you'd be left with an unbootable OS. Even
    if you had a 3rd party "soltion" all the registry entries for system and
    application files will be looking for files on drive F:.

    As others said, the only way to correct the situation is to disconnect
    all removeable media devices and re-install the OS.

    Steve

    Repeat (ad nauseum) IT WILL NOT WORK!

    Steve

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP