When I installed my hard drive it somehow got named F instead of the

traditional C. Now I get all kinds of funny (not funny at all) things

happening. When I try to install certain applications an error message

"Invalid X:" comes up. Is there a way to change the drive letter to C?

Thanks,
McClint

"McClint" <vitalpilot@core.com> wrote:

>When I installed my hard drive it somehow got named F instead of the
>
>traditional C. Now I get all kinds of funny (not funny at all) things
>
>happening. When I try to install certain applications an error message
>
>"Invalid X:" comes up. Is there a way to change the drive letter to C?
>
>Thanks,
>McClint

At this point the cure is likely to be worse than the disease, because
so many items already installed are linked to drive F:

When you install an application you are going to have to check the
install location. Most apps display the information as to where they
are going to install and they do give you the ability to change this,
sometimes just by typing over top of the displayed location. If the
app says it is going to install to C:\(whatever) then you need to
change the drive letter to F: and leave the rest as displayed and it
should work out okay.

Your other option is to wipe out the hard drive and start over with a
clean install of Windows, this time making sure that your Zip drive is
totally disconnected from the computer.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
norwegian)

Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
system.

Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.

I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
installed on it.

Best of luck!

Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
norwegian)

Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
system.

Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.

I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
installed on it.

Best of luck!

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This happens when you install Windows on a computer which has other items,
such as flash drives, still attached to the computer. Reinstall Windows but
be sure to disconnect all peripherals which are installed externally to the
computer

..

matsr wrote:
> Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
> 'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
> norwegian)
>
> Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
> system.
>
> Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.
>
> I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
> installed on it.

It doesn't.

Steve

"" wrote:
> "McClint" <vitalpilot@core.com> wrote:
>
> >When I installed my hard drive it somehow got named F instead
> of the
> >
> >traditional C. Now I get all kinds of funny (not funny at
> all) things
> >
> >happening. When I try to install certain applications an
> error message
> >
> >"Invalid X:" comes up. Is there a way to change the drive
> letter to C?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >McClint
> >

> At this point the cure is likely to be worse than the disease,
> because
> so many items already installed are linked to drive F:
>
> When you install an application you are going to have to check
> the
> install location. Most apps display the information as to
> where they
> are going to install and they do give you the ability to
> change this,
> sometimes just by typing over top of the displayed location.
> If the
> app says it is going to install to C:(whatever) then you need
> change the drive letter to F: and leave the rest as displayed
> and it
> should work out okay.
>
> Your other option is to wipe out the hard drive and start over
> with a
> clean install of Windows, this time making sure that your Zip
> drive is
> totally disconnected from the computer.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

if you right click my computer then hit manage, select disk management
and right click on you harddrive and select the option to change the
drive letter.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-drive-called-ftopict422985.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1415343

"matsr" <mostue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Right-click on My Computer > choose 'manage' > under 'storage' choose
>'diskmanagment' (names within quotation marks translated from
>norwegian)
>
>Here you will find the Harddrives, cdromdrives etc. installed on your
>system.
>
>Right-click on your f: drive and coose change driveletter.
>
>I don't know if this works if it is your primary drive with WinXP
>installed on it.

It won't, because changing the drive letter of the boot drive is
suicidal.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

If I belive it is worth a try, why can't I suggest it?

Because YOU don't have to pick up the scattered pieces when that blows
up in poor persons face. Hows this for a suggestion. Pull the pin on a
grenade and release the handle to see if it is a dummy grenade.

matsr wrote:
> If I belive it is worth a try, why can't I suggest it?

You can do anything you want, especially if you want to show your
ignorance. And if you want to give people useless advice, and waste
their time. But is that any help?

Stick to answering questions you actually know the answers to, if you
really want to help people. If you are trying to do something other
than help, then go ahead and continue to make a fool out of yourself.
pcButthead needs a friend.

--
Peace!
Kurt

matsr wrote:
> If I belive it is worth a try, why can't I suggest it?

You can believe whatever you like, it won't change the truth, which in
this case is that it will not work; you cannot use Disk Management to
change the system drive letter, period. Not only will the system not let
you do it but even if it did you'd be left with an unbootable OS. Even
if you had a 3rd party "soltion" all the registry entries for system and
application files will be looking for files on drive F:.

As others said, the only way to correct the situation is to disconnect
all removeable media devices and re-install the OS.

Steve

Repeat (ad nauseum) IT WILL NOT WORK!

Steve