A few questions about my DELL DIMENSION XPS T450.......?

I have an older machine... a DELL DIMENSION XPS T450 that I bought in
1998. The machine still runs and works very well.

People tell me that I should update my BIOS files, something I have
never done.

Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
in my system performance?

One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

LEESA (I)
5 answers Last reply
More about questions dell dimension t450

    "Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >I have an older machine... a DELL DIMENSION XPS T450 that I bought in
    > 1998. The machine still runs and works very well.
    >
    > People tell me that I should update my BIOS files, something I have
    > never done.
    >
    > Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
    > need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
    > in my system performance?
    >
    > One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
    > do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Unless the system is malfunctioning or you are adding some (newer) component
    that requires a BIOS flash, then leave it be.

    No, you shouldn't expect any performance improvement since your machine is
    performing fine as is.

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" wrote:
    > Unless the system is malfunctioning or you are adding
    > some (newer) component that requires a BIOS flash,
    > then leave it be.
    >
    > No, you shouldn't expect any performance improvement
    > since your machine is performing fine as is.

    Don't the later BIOSs (along with operating system updates)
    allow using the larger hard drives? That could be a desirable
    new component that might require a BIOS "flash" if one didn't
    want to use an add-on PCI controller card for the new larger
    hard drives.

    *TimDaniels*

    Leesa Taylor wrote:
    > I have an older machine... a DELL DIMENSION XPS T450 that I bought in
    > 1998. The machine still runs and works very well.
    >
    > People tell me that I should update my BIOS files, something I have
    > never done.

    If everything runs well, leave it alone. If you have a problem that leads
    you to reinstalling everything, with a reformat of the drive, you may want
    to consider the BIOS update then.

    > Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
    > need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
    > in my system performance?
    >
    > One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
    > do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?

    You would go to dell.com and search for the latest BIOS, download that to a
    bootable floppy and start the system from it.

    It might be a good idea to get the update and create a floppy that you might
    use in the future.

    Ed

    On 9 Jun 2004 19:25:53 -0700, Leesa Taylor wrote:

    > Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
    > need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
    > in my system performance?

    I had to update my T450 to add a larger (80GB) drive. I can't remember
    exactly but I think the update was also recommended since I was upgrading
    the OS to Windows 2000.

    > One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
    > do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?

    Download the update, run the program, follow the prompts (it'll help you
    create a bootable disk if I recall correctly).

    -Jeff B.
    yeff at erols dot com

    --

    -Jeff B.