Can palmOne insert any serial number into a Zire 72 ?

December 8, 2004 9:45:53 PM

I sent my new Zire 72 back to palmOne for a face replacement, since the
plastic paint was peeling off the face at no fault of mine. When I
received my Zire 72 back from palmOne, I immediately noticed that the
serial number was bigger that the one that was on it originally. I
called palmOne and was told that sometimes the serial number sticker on
the back gets damaged and that they have print another sticker. He
then told me how to check the for the serial number in the pda info
screen and the serial number matched.
My question is can palmOne input a new serial number into a pda, I do
not believe that this is my pda.

Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:32:13 PM

In message <1102560353.467951.112030@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
"billyb" <ktackittfam@surewest.net> wrote:

>I sent my new Zire 72 back to palmOne for a face replacement, since the
>plastic paint was peeling off the face at no fault of mine. When I
>received my Zire 72 back from palmOne, I immediately noticed that the
>serial number was bigger that the one that was on it originally. I
>called palmOne and was told that sometimes the serial number sticker on
>the back gets damaged and that they have print another sticker. He
>then told me how to check the for the serial number in the pda info
>screen and the serial number matched.
>My question is can palmOne input a new serial number into a pda, I do
>not believe that this is my pda.

Yes they can assign any serial number to any device.

December 9, 2004 7:56:56 AM

"billyb" <ktackittfam@surewest.net> wrote:

>I sent my new Zire 72 back to palmOne for a face replacement, since the
>plastic paint was peeling off the face at no fault of mine. When I
>received my Zire 72 back from palmOne, I immediately noticed that the
>serial number was bigger that the one that was on it originally. I
>called palmOne and was told that sometimes the serial number sticker on
>the back gets damaged and that they have print another sticker. He
>then told me how to check the for the serial number in the pda info
>screen and the serial number matched.
>My question is can palmOne input a new serial number into a pda, I do
>not believe that this is my pda.

In the past it has been reported here that sometimes Palm returned a different
refurbished unit to owners who sent in their PDA for a warranty repair. When
they complained they were told that the warranty allowed this procedure and
further that this allowed for a faster return to the owner. Perhaps that's what
happened to you, although if so I don't know why they wouldn't tell you.
December 9, 2004 8:18:12 AM

AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:

>"billyb" <ktackittfam@surewest.net> wrote:
>
>>I sent my new Zire 72 back to palmOne for a face replacement, since the
>>plastic paint was peeling off the face at no fault of mine. When I
>>received my Zire 72 back from palmOne, I immediately noticed that the
>>serial number was bigger that the one that was on it originally. I
>>called palmOne and was told that sometimes the serial number sticker on
>>the back gets damaged and that they have print another sticker. He
>>then told me how to check the for the serial number in the pda info
>>screen and the serial number matched.
>>My question is can palmOne input a new serial number into a pda, I do
>>not believe that this is my pda.
>
>In the past it has been reported here that sometimes Palm returned a different
>refurbished unit to owners who sent in their PDA for a warranty repair. When
>they complained they were told that the warranty allowed this procedure and
>further that this allowed for a faster return to the owner. Perhaps that's what
>happened to you, although if so I don't know why they wouldn't tell you.

And another thing just occurred to me. Since the Zire 72 doesn't have flash rom,
I don't think the serial number could be changed without replacing the rom, and
I doubt they would do that just to make it match a new serial number
sticker... ;)
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:37:00 AM

On 8 Dec 2004 18:45:53 -0800, billyb
<ktackittfam@surewest.net> wrote:
> I sent my new Zire 72 back to palmOne for a face replacement, since the
> plastic paint was peeling off the face at no fault of mine. When I
> received my Zire 72 back from palmOne, I immediately noticed that the
> serial number was bigger that the one that was on it originally. I
> called palmOne and was told that sometimes the serial number sticker on
> the back gets damaged and that they have print another sticker. He
> then told me how to check the for the serial number in the pda info
> screen and the serial number matched.
> My question is can palmOne input a new serial number into a pda, I do
> not believe that this is my pda.
>
> Thanks for any help.

In other words, they sent you a new or reconditioned pda. Is that a
problem?

--
Programming Department:
Mistakes made while you wait.