Help choosing laptop/desktop combination for college

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Hi, I will be moving for college starting September and am in need of a laptop.
My old desktop I put together 5 years ago died as well so I cant decide if I should get a overall laptop that will run games, or should i get a laptop just to take around and make a simple desktop with a video card.
My budget for laptop is $600-800, I've been looking around and there are quite a few options. My concern for Asus is i read a lot of reviews on bad keyboards, are they all like that or just a select few?
Also what would be better a Pentium dual cor 2.3ghz or a cor 2 duo at 2ghz?

Any advice will be appreciated. thanks

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
or what if i get a 13inch Macbook 2.26ghz 2gb ram 9400 video, for 899 with printer and carrying case
and Just take my desktop along and pop a video card in it if i ever feel the need to play demanding games like grid, dirt.. etc..
Or Why not just carry around a laptop that can play it and not worry
uhh this is hard

A few thoughts for you:
1) Consider a small netbook for carrying around, and a desktop for games. You can get a netbook for <$300. The advantage is light weight and portability. Use the savings for your gaming desktop.
2) If you get a single all purpose laptop, Make certain that it has a discrete graphics card and screen size that will suit you for gaming.
3) A SSD makes all the difference in the world for laptop performance. Consider looking for a unit with minimal hard drive space, and plan on replacing the drive with a small SSD. An Intel X25-V 40gb drive coats about $125, and you will probably get twice the capacity for your dollar by the end of the year.
4) Any dual core cpu @1.8 or better will probably be plenty. A core 2 duo will be 15% faster, clock for clock than a older dual core cpu.
5) Consider used/refurbished. Look at lenovo outlet, IBM used, and e-bay. See if you can find a T series with a good discrete graphics chip.
6) Get a unit with the OS you want. Plan on reinstalling it to remove all the bloatware. Beg or borrow the appropriate OS, and plan on activating using the original product code.

--good luck---

Look at Lenovo for laptops. The IBM thinkpad people went there, and they do some very good work. In perticular, I like the T series. Check out the Lenovo outlet or the IBM surplus store which will have some older units for a very good price. You get a refurbished unit with some sort of warranty.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
I saw a Msi A6200 today with cor it-430 turbo boost 15.6'' 4gb memory, intel gma hd graphics
i really liked the screen display and the keyboard seemed very very comfortable for typing.
it was for $549 if im not mistaken or $599
However it has an integrated video card with a 5400 rpm hard drive
Is it worth getting another laptop with 7200 hard drive and possible slower cpu but better video?
Or should i just get this laptop with a desktop on the side with a real video card

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
See the thing is im really bad on deciding
Wont it be better to put together a desktop to play games on, a budget desktop with decent video card will be very decent for games.

To help you decide, put together detail costs for two options:
1) Full function laptop.
2) netbook + gaming desktop.

Next, list the pro's and con's that are important to you.
Then, YOU decide. You will be learning to make your own decisions in college; it's time to start now.

Also, as a college student, you will be eligible for a windows-7 license at little/no cost. Perhaps you could defer the desktop build.

Status
Not open for further replies.