how cable Zip250 ATAPI in Dimension 4100

I am trying to add a new Iomega Zip 250 drive to my Dimension 4100 and
am utterly stumped as to why what I've tried is not working.

The IDE configuration:

IDE1: just the HD, as master of course

IDE2: master -- CD (specifically, an HP CD-Writer9700i),
jumpered as master

slave -- Zip 250, jumpered as slave.

With both these installed in the correct position on the IDE2 ribbon
cable, the system stalls during bootup, so that I cannot even reach the
BIOS settings.

If I disconnect the Zip drive, the system boots normally and the CD
works properly.

If I disconnect the CD and change the Zip drive to be master (changing
its jumper to master setting and putting it at the master end of the
IDE2 cable), then the system also boots normally and the Zip drive works
properly.

I did install Iomegaware, but surely that has nothing to do with the
problem since I cannot even get to the BIOS with both drives attached.

Note also that I had formerly had a DVD drive as slave on IDE2, and that
configuration worked fine.

Just in case the IDE2 cable had become damaged when removing the DVD and
installing the Zip, I replaced the cable -- but with exactly the same
no-go results.

Any ideas?

--
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

Iomega's on-line live-chat tech support supplied the answer quite
promptly: Make the Zip250 as IDE2 master and the CD as IDE2 slave.

--

"Murray Eisenberg" <murray@math.umass.edu> wrote in message
> Iomega's on-line live-chat tech support supplied the answer quite
> promptly: Make the Zip250 as IDE2 master and the CD as IDE2 slave.
>
> Murray Eisenberg wrote:

<snip>

It may work or it may not, but there's no way in this universe I'm making a
Zip drive master of anything.

That drive belongs on the slave connection on IDE1 or 2, jumpered CS/cable
select.....(preferably IDE2 at that....)

Stew

Robert

Have seen similar issue before with 2 CD rom's.
Fixed by setting both to cable select.

> I am trying to add a new Iomega Zip 250 drive to my Dimension 4100 and
> am utterly stumped as to why what I've tried is not working.
>
> The IDE configuration:
>
> IDE1: just the HD, as master of course
>
> IDE2: master -- CD (specifically, an HP CD-Writer9700i),
> jumpered as master
>
> slave -- Zip 250, jumpered as slave.
>
> With both these installed in the correct position on the IDE2 ribbon
> cable, the system stalls during bootup, so that I cannot even reach the
> BIOS settings.
>
> If I disconnect the Zip drive, the system boots normally and the CD
> works properly.
>
> If I disconnect the CD and change the Zip drive to be master (changing
> its jumper to master setting and putting it at the master end of the
> IDE2 cable), then the system also boots normally and the Zip drive works
> properly.
>
> I did install Iomegaware, but surely that has nothing to do with the
> problem since I cannot even get to the BIOS with both drives attached.
>
> Note also that I had formerly had a DVD drive as slave on IDE2, and that
> configuration worked fine.
>
> Just in case the IDE2 cable had become damaged when removing the DVD and
> installing the Zip, I replaced the cable -- but with exactly the same
> no-go results.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

Well, it worked with the Zip on master and CD as slave -- and I can
still boot from the CD. It did NOT work the other way 'round.

I'll try the suggestion from another respondent of tryint to make both
cable select and restore the CD to the end of the chain in primary position.

By the way, what's your concern about "making a Zip drive master of
anything"?

--

> Well, it worked with the Zip on master and CD as slave -- and I can
> still boot from the CD. It did NOT work the other way 'round.
>
> I'll try the suggestion from another respondent of tryint to make both
> cable select and restore the CD to the end of the chain in primary
position.

> By the way, what's your concern about "making a Zip drive master of
> anything"?

<snip>

Murray,

Wasn't taking out my dislike of Zip drives on you personally. There was a
time when the Zip was about the only way to go for what were then 'larger'
amounts of data - more capacity than a floppy, less expensive than a tape
drive, less costly and removable with ease of portability when compared to
internal or external hard disks.

But, there was also the (unnecessary) flaky Iomega software, the dreaded
'click of death' from the drives, and also just generally nasty behavior
with other devices on a given IDE controller. During that period of time,
Zips were worth the trouble based on cost and ease of use. No more, in my
opinion.

In fact, your post prompted me to wonder if there was *anything* good I
could say about a Zip drive given the current state of technology - and I
honestly cannot think of one without rationalizing.

They are now absurdly over-priced (especially the media, given the limited
capacity), slow and pretty undesirable. FWIW, I have two internal Zips that
are now mounted externally in a cardboard box somewhere around here.

About the only reason I'd use one anymore would be if it were the only way I
had means of saving or transferring data.

Stew

TRENDING THREADS