Cannot import Dynamic foreign disk in XP PRO

September 19, 2005 8:26:00 AM

I intalled Stripe RAID array with (2) WD 74GB Raptors which show up as
C. I have a 200GB SATA HDD that was used as backup HDD in same system
with previous PATA RAID array.
With first XP PRO install I was able to import foreign disk with no
problems and data on 200Gb was intact when I connected 200GB drive
after updating XP.
Because of driver problems on installation, I had to reinstall XP PRO
and this time had all drives connected throughout installation. XP saw
RAID and 200Gb and i installed XP on RAID array. When I try to import
foreign dynamic disk this time it gives me an error,"
The operation did not complete. Check system log." Log : Error source
is LDM. I checked and all sevices are running.
200Gb HDD is in BIOS and in device manager.
Properties of disk:
Disk: Disk 0
Type: Dynamic
Partition Style: Master boot record (MBR)
Capacity: 0MB
Unallocated space: 0MB
Reserved Space: 0MB
I tried installing it on another machine with no results.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this contains data that cannot
be lost!

--
nejacz
November 8, 2008 9:01:26 PM

Try using TestDisk from cgsecurity.com at :

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I faced similar probem and got if fixed using TestDisk.

It fixed the partition table and got the problem sorted in no time without using losing any data.

What I like with it is that it is free, open source, lightweight, easy to use and efficient.

It is worth having a look.
March 10, 2012 1:54:21 PM

PLEase guide me how to do it using testdisk?
Anonymous
May 17, 2012 12:14:11 PM

askorumtollee said:
Try using TestDisk from cgsecurity.com at :

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I faced similar probem and got if fixed using TestDisk.

It fixed the partition table and got the problem sorted in no time without using losing any data.

What I like with it is that it is free, open source, lightweight, easy to use and efficient.

It is worth having a look.

Hi there. I have the same problem as rukeerox - failure to import foreign striped disk.
I have installed TestDisk to try what you suggest , but it tries to treat each disk as a separate entity, so how can it correct the partition table if it isn't also correcting the other (stripe) at same time. I'm nervous to continue incase it destroys the stripe.

(just for the record, I use Active@Undelete to recover the data from the striped pair - which it sees correctly without any problem - but I am trying to save recovering 1.8Tb out and then copying it all back in again after reformatting the failed stripe. This is the third time windows has done this to me, so I really need to find a practical solution for recombining the striped drives)
!