Remote Desktop Local Print

We are connecting Windows XP-Pro and Windows 2K to a Remote Desktop (via
Netmotion) and everything is working fine except we cannot print locally.
We have enabled the local printing & ports from the Remote Desktop options.
There are no firewalls interferring. I can ping the local machine from the
Remote Desktop.

"Adding a printer" in the remote session does not offer the local printer.

Any ideas/suggestions what to look for?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop local print

    "Steve B" <bergtest2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We are connecting Windows XP-Pro and Windows 2K to a Remote Desktop (via
    > Netmotion) and everything is working fine except we cannot print locally.
    > We have enabled the local printing & ports from the Remote Desktop
    options.
    > There are no firewalls interferring. I can ping the local machine from
    the
    > Remote Desktop.
    >
    > "Adding a printer" in the remote session does not offer the local printer.
    >
    > Any ideas/suggestions what to look for?
    >
    > Thanks

    Many multifunction printers are not suitable for operation under
    Remote Desktop - see here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361
    Sometimes you can get around the problem by installing the printer
    driver both on the host and on the remote machine.

    Your first step should always be to to a "pretend" installation:
    Install an "innocent" printer driver such as an HP LJ4L on the
    remote, then see if it visible under RDP. If it is then your problem
    is caused by the multi-function printer you're trying to use. If it is
    invisible then you must enable printing under RDP.

    Forgot to mention...
    When attempting to add a printer, "local" is not even available! The only
    thing available is networked printers and since we're connected to a domain,
    it's not possible to browse our local workgroup.

    Aside, if local disks are made available for the session, they appear while
    browsing via remote but the are not accessible "no permission" and path not
    found...

    Any further thoughts?
    Thanks

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Steve B" <bergtest2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> We are connecting Windows XP-Pro and Windows 2K to a Remote Desktop (via
    >> Netmotion) and everything is working fine except we cannot print locally.
    >> We have enabled the local printing & ports from the Remote Desktop
    > options.
    >> There are no firewalls interferring. I can ping the local machine from
    > the
    >> Remote Desktop.
    >>
    >> "Adding a printer" in the remote session does not offer the local
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/suggestions what to look for?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Many multifunction printers are not suitable for operation under
    > Remote Desktop - see here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361
    > Sometimes you can get around the problem by installing the printer
    > driver both on the host and on the remote machine.
    >
    > Your first step should always be to to a "pretend" installation:
    > Install an "innocent" printer driver such as an HP LJ4L on the
    > remote, then see if it visible under RDP. If it is then your problem
    > is caused by the multi-function printer you're trying to use. If it is
    > invisible then you must enable printing under RDP.

    I recommend that you perform your initial tests under the
    "administrator" account so that you don't have to battle
    permission issues at the same time.

    > Forgot to mention...
    > When attempting to add a printer, "local" is not even available! The only
    > thing available is networked printers and since we're connected to a
    domain,
    > it's not possible to browse our local workgroup.
    >
    > Aside, if local disks are made available for the session, they appear
    while
    > browsing via remote but the are not accessible "no permission" and path
    not
    > found...
    >
    > Any further thoughts?
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Steve B" <bergtest2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> We are connecting Windows XP-Pro and Windows 2K to a Remote Desktop
    (via
    > >> Netmotion) and everything is working fine except we cannot print
    locally.
    > >> We have enabled the local printing & ports from the Remote Desktop
    > > options.
    > >> There are no firewalls interferring. I can ping the local machine from
    > > the
    > >> Remote Desktop.
    > >>
    > >> "Adding a printer" in the remote session does not offer the local
    > >> printer.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas/suggestions what to look for?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > > Many multifunction printers are not suitable for operation under
    > > Remote Desktop - see here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361
    > > Sometimes you can get around the problem by installing the printer
    > > driver both on the host and on the remote machine.
    > >
    > > Your first step should always be to to a "pretend" installation:
    > > Install an "innocent" printer driver such as an HP LJ4L on the
    > > remote, then see if it visible under RDP. If it is then your problem
    > > is caused by the multi-function printer you're trying to use. If it is
    > > invisible then you must enable printing under RDP.

Remote Desktop Printers Microsoft Windows XP