Zone Setup Error -- Any ideas???

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi I have Windows XP and a Zone account. I can't get
into the Zone anymore. I uninstalled Zone software, and
now when it goes to reinstall it, I get the
message "Failed to download
http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zextract.exe" What can
I do to fix this? I am not using any virus protection
software right now, but do have a pop up blocker.

Thanks for any suggestions!

dan

I should also add that I saw the other post on this topic
that said to delete files from the zone/temp folder
and/or get the zextract.exe file from the web and
download it into the /temp folder myself. The problem is
that I already uninstalled zone files, and there is
no /temp folder.

thanks,
dan

Dan wrote:

> Hi I have Windows XP and a Zone account. I can't get
> into the Zone anymore. I uninstalled Zone software, and
> now when it goes to reinstall it, I get the
> message "Failed to download
> http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zextract.exe" What can
> I do to fix this? I am not using any virus protection
> software right now, but do have a pop up blocker.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>
> dan

Use the Add/Remove Programs utility to add the Zone components. Then
enter the Zone again.

If there's no Zone \Temp folder, the file Zextract.exe, which resides
there and decompresses all the other Zone files isn't available. I
suspect that the ActiveX component, Heartbeat is damaged. Open Internet
Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, View Objects,
right-click HeartbeatCtl Class, click Update or Repair, whatever is
offered.

Post again if this doesn't help.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

clvck

thanks Elmo. There is no "HeartbeatCtl Class" there.
I'm pretty lost at this point! lol. Hopefully you can
give me a hand at straightening this out.

dan

Sorry, one thing I should mention is that there were two
damaged files that just showed strings of numbers. I
read that one of those could have been heartbeat. I did
not recognize the details of either, and deleted them.

dan

I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if I could figure
out the problem. Before doing this, you have to click Start, Run, type
CONF, OK, and set up the program. Write me at elmogeek@iglou plus the
dot-com usually attached to an email address; make sure the "clvck" is
included in the email and you'll make it past my spam filter. I'll
correspond with you from there.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

clvck

>I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if
I could figure
>out the problem. Before doing this, you have to click
Start, Run, type
>CONF, OK, and set up the program. Write me at
elmogeek@iglou plus the
>dot-com usually attached to an email address; make sure
the "clvck" is
>included in the email and you'll make it past my spam
filter. I'll
>correspond with you from there.

Elmo - I emailed you the other day, but I don't
understand what you mean by including "clvck." Are you
saying that I should type this in the email somewhere so
it can get through your filter? In the title? In my
email I said that I set up NetMeeting, but of course I do
not have a microphone. Can we still make this work
without it?

thanks,
dan

> >I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if
> I could figure
> >out the problem. Before doing this, you have to click
> Start, Run, type
> >CONF, OK, and set up the program. Write me at
> elmogeek@iglou plus the
> >dot-com usually attached to an email address; make sure
> the "clvck" is
> >included in the email and you'll make it past my spam
> filter. I'll
> >correspond with you from there.
> >

> Elmo - I emailed you the other day, but I don't
> understand what you mean by including "clvck." Are you
> saying that I should type this in the email somewhere so
> it can get through your filter? In the title? In my
> email I said that I set up NetMeeting, but of course I do
> not have a microphone. Can we still make this work
> without it?
>
> thanks,
> dan

Yes, it'll still work without sound, or mike. Just add clvck anywhere
in the body or subject line.