Zone Setup Error -- Any ideas???

Hi I have Windows XP and a Zone account. I can't get
into the Zone anymore. I uninstalled Zone software, and
now when it goes to reinstall it, I get the
message "Failed to download
http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zextract.exe" What can
I do to fix this? I am not using any virus protection
software right now, but do have a pop up blocker.

Thanks for any suggestions!

dan
7 answers Last reply
More about zone setup error ideas
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    I should also add that I saw the other post on this topic
    that said to delete files from the zone/temp folder
    and/or get the zextract.exe file from the web and
    download it into the /temp folder myself. The problem is
    that I already uninstalled zone files, and there is
    no /temp folder.

    thanks,
    dan
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Dan wrote:

    > Hi I have Windows XP and a Zone account. I can't get
    > into the Zone anymore. I uninstalled Zone software, and
    > now when it goes to reinstall it, I get the
    > message "Failed to download
    > http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zextract.exe" What can
    > I do to fix this? I am not using any virus protection
    > software right now, but do have a pop up blocker.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions!
    >
    > dan

    Use the Add/Remove Programs utility to add the Zone components. Then
    enter the Zone again.

    If there's no Zone \Temp folder, the file Zextract.exe, which resides
    there and decompresses all the other Zone files isn't available. I
    suspect that the ActiveX component, Heartbeat is damaged. Open Internet
    Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, View Objects,
    right-click HeartbeatCtl Class, click Update or Repair, whatever is
    offered.

    Post again if this doesn't help.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    clvck
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    thanks Elmo. There is no "HeartbeatCtl Class" there.
    I'm pretty lost at this point! lol. Hopefully you can
    give me a hand at straightening this out.

    dan
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Sorry, one thing I should mention is that there were two
    damaged files that just showed strings of numbers. I
    read that one of those could have been heartbeat. I did
    not recognize the details of either, and deleted them.

    dan
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if I could figure
    out the problem. Before doing this, you have to click Start, Run, type
    CONF, OK, and set up the program. Write me at elmogeek@iglou plus the
    dot-com usually attached to an email address; make sure the "clvck" is
    included in the email and you'll make it past my spam filter. I'll
    correspond with you from there.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    clvck
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    >I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if
    I could figure
    >out the problem. Before doing this, you have to click
    Start, Run, type
    >CONF, OK, and set up the program. Write me at
    elmogeek@iglou plus the
    >dot-com usually attached to an email address; make sure
    the "clvck" is
    >included in the email and you'll make it past my spam
    filter. I'll
    >correspond with you from there.

    Elmo - I emailed you the other day, but I don't
    understand what you mean by including "clvck." Are you
    saying that I should type this in the email somewhere so
    it can get through your filter? In the title? In my
    email I said that I set up NetMeeting, but of course I do
    not have a microphone. Can we still make this work
    without it?

    thanks,
    dan
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    > >I could look at your system using NetMeeting and see if
    > I could figure
    > >out the problem. Before doing this, you have to click
    > Start, Run, type
    > >CONF, OK, and set up the program. Write me at
    > elmogeek@iglou plus the
    > >dot-com usually attached to an email address; make sure
    > the "clvck" is
    > >included in the email and you'll make it past my spam
    > filter. I'll
    > >correspond with you from there.
    > >

    > Elmo - I emailed you the other day, but I don't
    > understand what you mean by including "clvck." Are you
    > saying that I should type this in the email somewhere so
    > it can get through your filter? In the title? In my
    > email I said that I set up NetMeeting, but of course I do
    > not have a microphone. Can we still make this work
    > without it?
    >
    > thanks,
    > dan

    Yes, it'll still work without sound, or mike. Just add clvck anywhere
    in the body or subject line.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support